Thread: Workaround for Changing keyboard shortcuts such as copy and paste using Autokey

Beans

Workaround for Changing keyboard shortcuts such as copy and paste using Autokey

I was looking all around the internet for a way to change the shortcuts such as copy and pastes since I changed my keyboard layout to Dvorak. Sadly, I have not found one yet (May 2011). However, I found that Autokey can replace keyboard commands. It isn't a complete fix but a workaround. If someone has a better solution please do share with us.

Step 1

Download Autokey from either the Ubuntu Software Center or use the terminal
    sudo apt-get install autokey-gtk
    Step 2

Open Autokey Menu -> Accessories -> Autokey (GTK)

Step 3

Create a New Top-Level Folder from File -> create -> New Top-Level Folder

Step 4

Select Folder and create New Script from File -> create -> New Script

Step 5

in the "# Enter script code" enter "keyboard.send_keys(shortcut you desire to imitate)"

Examples

1. keyboard.send_keys("<ctrl>+v")
    2. keyboard.send_keys("<ctrl>+c")
    3. keyboard.send_keys("<ctrl>+s")

NOTE: repeat Step 4-5 for each hotkey you want to add

Step 6

Click on the second "set" on the Hotkey and set your hotkey

Step 7

Test them out.

It should work now.

Extra Stuff

Enable automatically start Autokey at login (Edit -> preferences -> general) , clear the special hotkeys (Edit -> preferences -> Special Hotkeys) and we are done.

This is my first forum post so go easy on me

Beans

Re: Workaround for Changing keyboard shortcuts such as copy and paste using Autokey

Thanks! I just set the phrases under My Phrases. Strangely the QT version tried to install an insane number of packages.

Beans

Re: Workaround for Changing keyboard shortcuts such as copy and paste using Autokey

Thanks so much for this Edchuu! I wish there were options to change keybindings by default in Ubuntu, but this workaround suffices.