Hi i have been having keyboard problems on the compaq presario v 5000. the problem just suddenly started! the keys would not would when pressed! the touchpad wouldn't work at all. I plugged in a usb keyboard and tried playing with the keyboard settings in System>Preferences>keyboard...nothing i did would get the keyboard working. when i rebooted i could access the bios and the keys worked in there! further into the boot sequence the keys wouldn't work on grub or the login menu.

i left the laptop off for 24 hours switched it back on got to the log in screen the keyboard worked.. yippie all well and good again. then after login and connecting to the internet a few seconds later the keys stopped working again. The Scroll light came on all by its self.

i then went into keyboard settings again and tried the test keys function and the keys seemed to be stuck down all the time producing sssssssssssssssssssssssssssss and on over letters.

Has anyone ever had a problem like this or know of a solution to get the keys and touchpad working properly again.

I'm using ubuntu 10.04 LTS.

uname -a

laptop 2.6.32-31-generic #61-Ubuntu SMP Fri Apr 8 18:24:35 UTC 2011 i686 GNU/Linux

i was wondering if this problem was caused by by a remote machine taking over my keyboard...but doubtful about that now.

I don't know what other details or messages to put up relating to keyboard.