Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lenovo Ideapad S205

Beans

Lenovo Ideapad S205

Hi everyone,

I just got my new netbook today and wanted to install ubuntu. Well, it didn't work.
    To be precise, the installation-process did work, but after restart I'm stuck in the bootscreen..
    I also tried to install the netbook-version, but booting this from usb-stick only leeds to a black screen with the line:

SYSLINUX 3.86 2010-04-01 EBIOS Copyright 1994-2010 H.Peter Anvin et al
    _ (-> blinking)

I should also mention, that there is no DOS on it right now, since I bought it from a very nice guy, who apparently deleted it somehow (?).

Please help me!

Beans

Re: Lenovo Ideapad S205

Hi.

I guess I had the same problem you have. I don' t exactly know why, but the bootloader grub2 (which is probably the one contained in your ubuntu) is somehow not compatible with the software (I think it has something to do with UEFI or BIOS) of the computer. Anyway booting from a live CD (or USB) and installing the first version of grub fixed the problem in my case.

Kind regards

Benedikt

Beans

Since both of you appear to have installed ubuntu on the s205, what are your impressions? Outside of Grub, is the machine essentially functional on bootup?

--
    Bill

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I have Ubuntu running on my Ideapad s205. It is not without hang-ups. Wifi is a problem in an odd way. apparently it has something to do with with duplicate drivers loading. and then the hardware switch is quirky too. I haven't found a perfect solution but I found a acceptable workaround.

after startup run.

rfkill unblock wifi
    rfkill unblock all
    sudo modprobe -r acer_wmi

you will have to do it after each startup.

also, sleep and shutdown have issues. looks like it runs into a process that it can't interrupt. I have to hold down the power button to get it to shutdown, and have disabled all automatic sleep functionality.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

other things not working as I have continued to test it out.

internal mic,
    headphones jack,
    sd card reader

I'll try to post back if I get any of these figured out in case anyone else has this same piece of hardware. Hardware wise this laptop is pretty good, so I hope I can get past all these issues.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I've written a blog post that explains step-by-step how I installed Ubuntu 11.04 on the s205 (dual booted with Windows 7). I'll update it if I can find any solutions to the above issues.

Installing Ubuntu on the lenovo ideapad S205

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rwh View Post
    I've written a blog post that explains step-by-step how I installed Ubuntu 11.04 on the s205 (dual booted with Windows 7). I'll update it if I can find any solutions to the above issues.

Installing Ubuntu on the lenovo ideapad S205
    I will attest to the method that rwh has posted. It got my s205 running with ubuntu. You have to be careful to keep your partitions straight, otherwise, you will be back to square one.

Also, to anyone who has gotten the s205 up and running, have you noticed slow wireless? I did some tests yesterday and I download speeds were about 20 times faster in windows than they were in linux. Is it something in the configuration? Or is there a driver I should be using?

Thanks,
    Bill

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 10.04 Lucid Lynx

removed.
    Last edited by steve7777777; June 19th, 2011 at 09:04 PM.

Beans

Hi,

I've just bought a Lenovo S205 and I'm playing with it under ubuntu 11.04.

I've followed RWH blog post about how to install Grub Legacy (Thanks BTW) and a comment inside this blog on which module I have to blacklist to make Wifi works.

So far so good, I still have some problems :
    - Wifi is slow, I verified it using iperf, the max I can get is 40 kb/s, on my other Laptop on the same wifi under ubuntu 10.04 I can reach an average 24 Mbp/s.
    - Hibernate / Suspend does not work, I highly suspect GRUB and options to be the problem, as I can use the suspend function on the Ubuntu USB installer (I needed it to unfreeze a OCZ Vertex 2 SSD drive to update it).
    - SDCard does not work at all (no info at all about it...)

I've still have not tested MIC, Webcam, HDMI, jack connection and double screen.

Bluetooth is perfectly working with my iPhone for sharing connection (haven't tested USB sharing yet) ^^

BTW a thing not directly related to Linux but I wanted to update the BIOS of netbook. Lenovo is only providing Windows utilities. I think this is not right for a company that sell non OS netbook to only provide support under Windows (not even DOS !)...
    I've tried using UBCD4Win but got an error "Please Connect Battery".

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sioban View Post
    Hi,

I've just bought a Lenovo S205 and I'm playing with it under ubuntu 11.04.

I've followed RWH blog post about how to install Grub Legacy (Thanks BTW) and a comment inside this blog on which module I have to blacklist to make Wifi works.

So far so good, I still have some problems :
    - Wifi is slow, I verified it using iperf, the max I can get is 40 kb/s, on my other Laptop on the same wifi under ubuntu 10.04 I can reach an average 24 Mbp/s.
    - Hibernate / Suspend does not work, I highly suspect GRUB and options to be the problem, as I can use the suspend function on the Ubuntu USB installer (I needed it to unfreeze a OCZ Vertex 2 SSD drive to update it).
    - SDCard does not work at all (no info at all about it...)

I've still have not tested MIC, Webcam, HDMI, jack connection and double screen.

Bluetooth is perfectly working with my iPhone for sharing connection (haven't tested USB sharing yet) ^^

BTW a thing not directly related to Linux but I wanted to update the BIOS of netbook. Lenovo is only providing Windows utilities. I think this is not right for a company that sell non OS netbook to only provide support under Windows (not even DOS !)...
    I've tried using UBCD4Win but got an error "Please Connect Battery".
    Hi, in my experience, the webcam should work, the microphone doesn't. I haven't tested the other stuff because it is not very important to me. Suspend and hibernate definitely work for me and I was also using RWH's blog post to set everything up.

As for wireless, what I normally get is a short burst of high performance (if I am reading it right 100 KB/s) then it settles down to around 10-15 KB/s. Its almost like it is some sort of power saving mode. Does your other laptop have the same wifi card as the s205?

--
    Bill

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast