Thread: using an external drive

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

using an external drive

Can I use one external drive, with one partition to back-up Ubuntu, Lucid, and another computer with Windows 7? Example; I want to have one folder on the external drive for Pictures, and be able to back up to that folder from either PC. The Linux PC is using ext4 format, and the Windows 7 is NFTS, All I want to do this with is videos, music, and pictures. Things that need to be accessed from both computers, no applications.
    Someone smarter than me has probably done this already, how did you do it?

Beans

Re: using an external drive

yes. i would just format the external to a windows format and you shouldn't have any trouble.
    "- Courage! It couldn't come at a worse time." | Favorite Hockey Player: #8 Cam Neely! |
    Read my Poetry at
    www.poemscribe.com |

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

no, build a NAS external file server.. they are dirt cheap, and it is just an external enclosure and a hard drive, and you can format it to whatever you like.. Hook it up with a gigabit router and you are good to go. Everything is over the networks these days. Why bother with USB or firewire anymore if don't have to??

Even reinstall Ubuntu in less than 10 minutes over a LAN network installation. That's what I do.

Beans

With all due respect, he asked about his external hard drive so we should answer his question in regard to that. Please don't make blanket statements that "everything is over the network these days". Let's try to help the questioner with the tools he has and is asking about.
    Last edited by rcayea; May 21st, 2011 at 05:09 PM.
    "- Courage! It couldn't come at a worse time." | Favorite Hockey Player: #8 Cam Neely! |
    Read my Poetry at
    www.poemscribe.com |

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I have been doing some reading, and boy did I get side tracked. What started out as a simple file sharing had turned into a Media server. I found an article on "build your own server" http://www.havetheknowhow.com/
    I have an old PC that has everything I need in it. I think I can do it with a little work and some head scratching, and of course help from you when I hit a stump. It may be a while, I am going to do a little more research before I begin, but I feel confident that I can do it.
    Thanks for your input,
    Wayne.

Beans

I format my external drives in NTFS if they are going to be used on Windows and Linux and it works fine for me.

Earl