Thread: Gnome 3 instead of unity

Beans

Gnome 3 instead of unity

how to install gnome3 in place of unity. is switching to Gnome3 a good idea. cant we keep both G3 & Unity and switch in between.

Beans

Re: Gnome 3 instead of unity

No - not at this time. Installing GNOME 3 will wreck Unity. Wait until Oneiric Ocelot is released.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Well I am unsure of why you would want to go back to gnome other then personal preferrence cause every website I have read has rated Unity well above gnome 3.0. Is "Oneiric Ocelot" suppose to offer a optional gnome shell? I am hoping that Unity is still the standard GUI shipped with the OS.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

I built Gnome3 from GIT as per instructions from webupd8's site here:http://www.webupd8.org/2010/10/insta...in-ubuntu.html. Placed a small script on desktop, drag that to an open terminal, and bam, Gnome 3. Works great.
    Does not bork unity at all, at least on mine. Use at your own risk, your milage may vary.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

I built Gnome3 from GIT as per instructions from webupd8's site here:http://www.webupd8.org/2010/10/insta...in-ubuntu.html. Placed a small script on desktop, drag that to an open terminal, and bam, Gnome 3. Works great.
    Does not bork unity at all, at least on mine. Use at your own risk, your milage may vary.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by DMGrier View Post
    Well I am unsure of why you would want to go back to gnome other then personal preferrence cause every website I have read has rated Unity well above gnome 3.0. Is "Oneiric Ocelot" suppose to offer a optional gnome shell? I am hoping that Unity is still the standard GUI shipped with the OS.
    That's strange because the few that I looked at went the other way. Maybe google is detecting our active desktop environments and giving us the results we want to see

I can only use Unity 2D at the moment anyway since my GPU has been blacklisted but if it's going to bork stuff I don't really want to waste the time for ultimately minimal benefits. I guess I'll just sit, wait til October and watch the desktop environment debate rage on

Beans

I have been using both together for quite a while now and no problems and I can also
    switch back and forth between them ...... but this may not be possible for all ....

If you are having graphics problems in UNITY .... then what do you stand to lose trying
    gnome-shell ......

If you just want to try it out download the Dvd and just try it as a live session ....
    its in testing ..... but if you run it from the Dvd it may give you an indication of what it is
    like and what it will do .......

Both Unity and Gnome-shell are included on the 64 bit version 04 ...... may be worth a look
    Last edited by 23dornot23d; May 26th, 2011 at 03:50 AM.