Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Asus U31SD

Beans

Asus U31SD

Since there was no topic about the asus u31 I started this thread to collect fixes.

Note: The info in this post is old, please read the whole thread untill I have time to update this

Optimus and the NVIDIA GT 520M
    Out of the box the nvidia card is consuming power but not doing anything. On top of that desktop effects don't work (no unity no compiz).
    One option is to turn off the nvidia card to save power in case you don't need the nvidia performance. However this might be unnecessary since the bumblebee project is giving great results. I myself first disabled the Nvidia before trying out the bumblebee so I don't know if that disabling step makes any sense if you will use the bumblebee fix.

Disable NVidia GPU/NVidia Optimus (might not be necassary)
    Execute the steps as described in the following link at the appropriate section:
    However where \_SB.PCI0.PEG1.GFX0._OFF is used, use \_SB.PCI0.PEG0.GFX0.DOFF instead and the same holds for \_SB.PCI0.PEG1.GFX0._ON -> \_SB.PCI0.PEG0.GFX0.DON
    link: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...49&postcount=1

Using the Bumblebee solution to switch graphics
    First get the software:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install git 
    git clone https://github.com/MrMEEE/bumblebee.git
    Now install it
    Code:
    cd bumblebee
    sudo bash install.sh
    At the end of the install procedure it gave me an error (something with newline at 743 of install.sh). Ignore this error since all the essential work has been done already.
    Now log off and log on.
    Now you should have desktop effects (compiz / unity). And your power usage should be down to 7000-8000:
    Code:
           grep rate /proc/acpi/battery/BAT0/state

Suspend and Hibernate

(adapted from http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...49&postcount=1)

The problems are caused by the USB buses (more info elsewhere on the forums).
    In the script below also the nvidia card is turned on again, this assumes you have done the "Disable NVidia GPU/NVidia Optimus" when you use the bumblebee project this might not be necassairy.

Code:
    gksu gedit /etc/pm/sleep.d/20_custom-asus-u31sd
    INSERT BELOW TEXT

Code:
    #!/bin/sh

BUSES="0000:00:1a.0 0000:00:1d.0"

case "${1}" in
        hibernate|suspend)
        # Switch USB buses off
        for bus in $BUSES; do
            echo -n $bus | tee /sys/bus/pci/drivers/ehci_hcd/unbind
        done
        # Switch optimus back on before going to sleep, avoids the "constant on"
        # bug that occurs after 2 suspend/resume cycles (thanks kos888)
        /etc/init.d/optimusoff stop
        ;;
        resume|thaw)
        # Switch USB buses back on
        for bus in $BUSES; do
            echo -n $bus | tee /sys/bus/pci/drivers/ehci_hcd/bind
        done
        # Switch optimus off before resuming, avoids unneccessary power draw
        /etc/init.d/optimusoff start
        ;;
    esac
    Next just make it executable
    Code:
    sudo chmod +x /etc/pm/sleep.d/20_custom-asus-u31sd
    Issues to be fixed
    This was written in a hurry and this post is still quite immature, so some of these things might be easy to fix, I just didn't look at it in detail:
    -check whether the bumblebee project alone can fix issues with the optimus (not doing the disable thing)
    -Get all the fn-keys to work
    currently working: sleep (F1) wireless switch (F2) brightness (F5 F6) screen switch (F7)
    important not working fn-keys: volume and music player controls
    untested: switching external monitor
    Last edited by Humphreybas; October 19th, 2011 at 08:07 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Asus U31SD

Even with bumblebee installed in 11.04 though, I don't see any option to enable compiz. There seems to be an nvidia bug in general with enabling compiz.
    I tried the command line tool that is required now to report bugs, and it rejected my bug report because it said I was using the nvidia proprietary driver.

Ubuntu 10.10 worked just fine. There are so many regressions in 11.04 now that I can't keep track anymore.

Beans

Hmm strange, after a fresh install of 11.04, disabling the nvidia and then installing bumblebee did the trick for me. Compiz worked straight away after a reboot (ubuntu classic chosen at startup). Compiz configured with compizconfig settings manager.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I'm interested in buying this laptop, but I couldn't find too much information about it.

Humphreybas & dugh, could you please do an update of the issues you have found/solved working with ubuntu since your initial posts and a little review of it.

Thanks!
    Last edited by somhi; June 26th, 2011 at 04:30 PM.

Beans

With the fixes from the start post you can comfortable run ubuntu. No significant problems whatsoever.

Recently I encounter odd freezes after I closed the lid (no suspend/hibernate just blank screen), the cursor moves fine but clicking and key presses have no effect. You could call that significant but since it started recently I can't really say what the cause is.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Thanks mate, I'm just waiting from the supplier to have it.

Beans

I have installed Ubuntu 10.04 on my (wifes) new Asus U31SD and have been trying to get the display, battery, hibernate and suspend issues fixed. Thank you for your good information, it gives hope that everything will work fine some day.

I first installed bumblebee from git and the battery consumption went down as intended. But the hibernation and suspend did not work. Actually they did not work before bumblebee installation. Without the Asus-specific script suspend and hibernate resulted in stuck system. Enabling the script did not help me either. The script returned something about non existing devices while trying to shut down usb buses. This prevented the suspend and hibernate scripts from going to sleep if(!) I understood it correctly.

Then I installed TuxOnIce. Now hibernation worked (suspend not) but power consumption was back to big. I could not get bumblebee to work with TuxOnIce. I will wait for the new version of bumblebee before trying more with it. Should be soon:
    https://github.com/Bumblebee-Project...ebee/issues/15

The one thing that I think affects usability even more than power consumption and suspend modes is the video resolution. Has anybody managed to configure Xorg for something near 1366x768? If so, please help. nvidia-closed-source, nouveau, intel-on-board, vesa, anything? I have nouveau installed (Ubuntu default). The screen resolution is always max 1024x768 whatever I try with or without /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Thanks

Beans

Display Support and Related Issues on Asus U31SD

Reading through /var/log/Xorg.0.log X always ends up using vesa 1024x768. The correct resolution (1366x768) was correctly reported by the hardware which is positive anyway.

The drivers that are directly supported (installable without extra repositories or other such means) by Ubuntu 10.04 seem to be quite old. The package nvidia-current offers 195.36.24 which does not support gt520m. The open source nv-driver does not seem to recognize the card. Btw. in what package is this driver located? Does an upgrade require upgrade of the whole xorg meta-package?

Several questions have arisen. I wonder if somebody has advice concerning this issues:

1. Distribution and release

I have a feeling that Ubuntu 10.04 is not the right distribution and release because the software needed to run this hardware should be more recent.

I could try with 11.04. Is it worth while? dugh mentioned many regressions in it.

I can also keep 10.04 and try to install things from alternative sources and git. This probably will not work well due to too many old pieces of software around?

I could also install Arch linux on a separate partition and try things out there. If solutions work are found I might be able to apply them also to the Ubuntu environment. I am not willing to maintain this computer on Arch as a permanent solution because I am not the main user.

2. Display driver

I am still confused with the alternatives and hierarchy of different display related drivers concerned. I am wondering which of the alternatives is the likely way to get things working:

The closed source nvidia driver 270.41.06 supports gt520m according to the download page. Does it work with this optimus setup computer. I know that the optimus features support is developed in the bumblebee project, but does this work otherwise?

There is also this xorg nv-driver. Does some version of this support this hardware? Should I try to upgrade this?

I have xserver-xorg-video-nouveau 1:0.0.15+git201002219+... installed. This is also probably too old if the name contains a date? Should this be upgraded? Does a newer version work for somebody?

What about the other chip Intel GMA HD. Should I do something about that too?

Thanks.

Beans

Replying to my own questions

I tried Ubuntu 11.04 with rather good results. I got it working sufficiently well enough for my needs. The following might be helpful for someone who wants to get Ubuntu running quickly on a new Asus. This installation requires an external dvd-player.

1. Download and burn the Installation CD for Ubuntu 11.04.

Do not select version 10.04. It does not work well on this laptop.

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/download

Install Ubuntu.

2. Partition your disk and install Ubuntu.

I kept the Windows recovery and the Windows installation intact. The windows installation had a data partition ( d:\ ). I deleted that and created an extended partition that contains three logical partitions for swap, root and home.

Here are instructions for partitioning and installing. They are installing a previous version of Ubuntu but it is close enough. I wouldn't try resizing the actual Windows partition ( c:\ ) as they did.

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/d...-7-ubuntu.html

Start Ubuntu from the installation cd and enable your wlan connection before starting the installation.

After installation update the system with Update Manager. Btw. system settings can be found by right-clicking the shutdown icon on the top right corner of the screen.

3. What to do about the display driver?

Ubuntu recommends to install the nvidia closed-source driver. It did not work me. I did not try nouveau. Nouveau is installed by default but X used the Intel driver anyway. The default already installed Intel driver works well enough for me for now. Resolution is 1366 x 768 which is the native resolution for the display. 60 fps on glxgears will do. Yes, it is sad on a machine that contains a nvidia chip. Unity also works. The nvidia chip will be turned off in the following chapter.

4. Hibernate, Suspend and Saving Power

Install Tux-on-ice:

https://launchpad.net/~tuxonice/+archive/ppa

Proceed as Humphreybas instructs you to in his first post. Skip the bumblebee installation if you are not sure you want to install unstable software that is still under development.

This is the contents of my /etc/init.d/optimusoff:

Code:
    #! /bin/sh
    ### BEGIN INIT INFO
    # Provides: 		optimusoff
    # Required-Start: 	$local_fs $syslog
    # Required-Stop: 	$local_fs $syslog
    # Default-Start: 	2 3 4 5
    # Default-Stop: 	0 1 6
    # Short-Description: 	Disables/Enables the NVidia graphics card
    #			within the NVidia Optimus system
    #			
    #			Modified for the U36Jc and Ubuntu 11.04
    #			using details from
    #			
    #			http://robbyx.net/blog/?p=190
    #
    #                       Modified further for the Asus U31SD according to
    #                       first post by Humphreybas in
    #                       http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1763742
    ### END INIT INFO

. /lib/lsb/init-functions

set -e

case "$1" in
    start)
    #
    echo '\_SB.PCI0.PEG0.GFX0.DOFF' > /proc/acpi/call
    # echo "Started optimusoff."
    ;;
    stop)
    echo '\_SB.PCI0.PEG0.GFX0.DON' > /proc/acpi/call
    # echo "Stopped optimusoff."
    ;;
    *)
    echo '\_SB.PCI0.PEG0.GFX0.DOFF' > /proc/acpi/call
    N=/etc/init.d/optimusoff
    echo "Usage: $N {start|stop}\nBy default, 'start' is executed.\n" >&2
    exit 1
    ;;
    esac

exit 0

The fancy Nvidia GeForce GT 520M will be useful with Bumblebee. Please report here if you get it working. I dare not risk my system until it is more stable.

Beans

Enabling DVD support on Ubuntu 11.04

Now I am just documenting for myself what I have done to get things working. This post is not at all Asus specific. I can move it somewhere else if it disturbs somebody searching for things Asus U31SD specific. I documented it because it took me a surprising amount of searching to find a solution that did not include about 10 rows of apt-get code.

Setting up DVD support:

libdvdread4 is already installed according to package manager. The installation script needs to be run to get libdvdcss2 support.

Code:
    sudo /usr/share/doc/libdvdread4/install-css.sh
    Source of information was:
    http://www.dreamingisdigital.com/201...-ubuntu-11-04/

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast