Thread: Moving the unity bar

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Moving the unity bar

Hi.

I'm helping a friend with his netbook, and he is used to the regular netbook edition before the unity-style. The small netbookscreen is just not good for this new appbar on the left side (it's one of the old eee-pc's).

None of us like that solution, and I wonder if its possible to move the bar on the bottom side of the screen so it will be a bit more Windows 7-ish? I've searched and looked everywhere so I just have to ask.

Thanks in advance!

Beans

Re: Moving the unity bar

grab 11.04 unity it's far better & the dock can hide.
    http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/daily-live...sktop-i386.iso

run it live first, make sure it works for you.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by alkar5 View Post
    Hi.

I'm helping a friend with his netbook, and he is used to the regular netbook edition before the unity-style. The small netbookscreen is just not good for this new appbar on the left side (it's one of the old eee-pc's).

None of us like that solution, and I wonder if its possible to move the bar on the bottom side of the screen so it will be a bit more Windows 7-ish? I've searched and looked everywhere so I just have to ask.

Thanks in advance!
    nope, it is currently not possible, although it might be in the official release

Beans

pity it can't move. Guess I'll abandon Unity then. If it's not customizable, then I don't want it. It's in an inconvenient spot, and until I can freely mess around with it, I refuse to use it.

I do believe it will be freed up in the future though (canonical is very good about making Ubunut a user's desktop), so just hold out until the actual release.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I'm running 11.04 beta, the dock/launcher hides itself when you open an application.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Yeah, I use classic most of the time, but I hope I can move the bar in 11.10.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

I have been using ubuntu since 7.04, can't believe Canonical is going about making it so very restrictive.

I do like Unity, it is a brilliant idea even with location restriction. All I want it to be at bottom just the same way as I used to have AWN, because
    I am used to custom conky configuration on left of my screen and unity bar cover half of it.

Autohide mode of unity bar is also not useful because , in that case
    I have to remember application number from 1 to 0 for a quick switch , hindering one of the things I like about unity (no more xbindkeys).
    May The Source be with you !
    Lacho Calad! Drego Morn!

Dell Inspiron 6400, ATI X1300, 2GB RAM, 120 GB HD

Beans

try this to move the unity bar on the bottom

http://www.webupd8.org/2011/10/how-t...bottom-of.html