Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to enable Hibernation

Beans

Re: How to enable Hibernation

Ok, thank to all for the answers.
    This is my fstab file
    Code:
    # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
    #
    # Use 'blkid -o value -s UUID' to print the universally unique identifier
    # for a device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name
    # devices that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
    #
    # <file system> <mount point>   <type>  <options>       <dump>  <pass>
    proc                                       /proc        proc  nodev,noexec,nosuid      0  0  
    # / was on /dev/sda3 during installation
    UUID=463157af-230a-4262-a09d-e0bbee7256ee  /            ext4  errors=remount-ro        0  1  
    # swap was on /dev/sda4 during installation
    UUID=11603ad6-96fd-481a-9473-90269506c43b  none         swap  sw                       0  0  
    /dev/sda1                                  /media/sda1  ntfs  nls=iso8859-1,umask=000  0  0  
    /dev/sda2                                  /media/sda2  ntfs  nls=iso8859-1,umask=000  0  0  
    If I launch gparted then I can enable the swap by swap on but after a restart it return to off state.

psusi is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

And the UUID? Is it correct?

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by erotavlas View Post
    I have installed Ubuntu 11.04 with a swap space about half of my system RAM (3 GB). So the hibernate command doesn't work. With LiveCD and gparted I have resized the swap space to cover all the RAM (about 4 GB). Now the command hibernate from panel menu is not present. How can I enable it?
    There is considerable misinformation in this thread, the swap partition does not have to be in "one piece" and it is sufficient to set swap=RAM for hibernation. (Hibernation uses some compression and will only store contents of RAM, thus it is actually possible to hibernate with somewhat less than RAM some times, that doesn't negate the recommendation of equal to RAM to ensure operation).

Your problem is with the initial ramdisk, that is what has the hook for resuming from hibernation. You changed your swap partition but you did not mention updating the initrd.img. After verifying the UUID in fstab, amend the /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/resume file to reflect the new swap and then run update-initramfs as root.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I apologize for any inconviences I have made ... I see, That people are saying:
    There is considerable misinformation in this thread, the swap partition does not have to be in "one piece" and it is sufficient to set swap=RAM for hibernation. (Hibernation uses some compression and will only store contents of RAM, thus it is actually possible to hibernate with somewhat less than RAM some times, that doesn't negate the recommendation of equal to RAM to ensure operation).
    I would like to say, I have 8Gb of ram and will not accept any OS to take as much to store information unless needed.

Okay, I am being rude here,..... sorry ...........

well, this said ... I back off from this issue ...

edit: a quick "sorry" ... I apologize, QLee ... I apologize psusi...
    Last edited by An Sanct; May 20th, 2011 at 11:34 PM. Reason: added edit.
    Don't ask what your company can do for you.
    Ask what you can do for
    your company!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Got similar problems. I had Ubuntu installed besides Windows 7, now it's also Mint, triple boot so to speak. When I upgraded from 10.10 to 11.4, Hibernate option vanished. I figured out, that partition devices were renamed during upgrade. Fixed that in /etc/fstab, but resume from hibernation still didn't work. System went into login mode instead. About half an hour ago, I did this:

$sudo apt-get install hibernate
    Hibernation now works- occasionally. I'm not sure whether it hibernates on Mint's swap space or something, I don't know. Anyway, try it out, maybe it'll work for you.

What are Canonical's plans for hibernation anyway? I heard some rumors that it intends to scrap it alltogether.

Beans
    Distro

Hibernation is something great! they should not "scrap" it ...but they should not scrap gnome either (IMHO) ...

well, 0% and that is zero percent of the developers give a care about this forum, so choose other paths of contacting them....
    Ask what you can do for
    your company!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by An Sanct View Post
    Hibernation is something great! they should not "scrap" it ...but they should not scrap gnome either (IMHO) ...

well, 0% and that is zero percent of the developers give a care about this forum, so choose other paths of contacting them....
    I'm not aware of any other paths. I don't think developers determine priorities and strategy anyway.

As for me- I was a bit too enthusiastic about Natty, installed it a bit too early, and stumbled upon a bug, which effectively prevented me from doing my work. I had no other option but to install Mint alongside Ubuntu & Windows 7 Here's the whole story if you're interested: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1753566. Currently I'm using Mint, but I'll keep Ubuntu until the next release or two. Once I see where the whole thing is heading, I'll make up my mind. Generally, I like Ubuntu, I still think Unity is a good idea, but if Canonical decides to dumb down Ubuntu for the people's masses, I'll keep Mint, and use the newly emptied partition to try other distros or new versions.
    Last edited by azupan; May 22nd, 2011 at 10:14 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by QLee View Post

Your problem is with the initial ramdisk, that is what has the hook for resuming from hibernation. You changed your swap partition but you did not mention updating the initrd.img. After verifying the UUID in fstab, amend the /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/resume file to reflect the new swap and then run update-initramfs as root.

Hi,

I have followed the your suggestions... I have copied from fstab the UUID into the resume file and after I have update the initramfs. Now If I try with cat /proc/swaps I get

Code:
    Filename                Type        Size    Used    Priority
    The option hibernate from main mane is not present.
    Last edited by erotavlas; May 23rd, 2011 at 09:00 AM.

psusi is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by QLee View Post
    No, the location of the swap partition is not built into the initramfs, it is passed on the kernel command line by grub.

You need to get the swap partition mounted correctly in /etc/fstab, make sure it shows up in /proc/swaps after either a reboot or running sudo swapon -a, and finally, run sudo update-grub.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by azupan View Post
    I'm not aware of any other paths. I don't think developers determine priorities and strategy anyway.

As for me- I was a bit too enthusiastic about Natty, installed it a bit too early, and stumbled upon a bug, which effectively prevented me from doing my work. I had no other option but to install Mint alongside Ubuntu & Windows 7 Here's the whole story if you're interested: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1753566. Currently I'm using Mint, but I'll keep Ubuntu until the next release or two. Once I see where the whole thing is heading, I'll make up my mind. Generally, I like Ubuntu, I still think Unity is a good idea, but if Canonical decides to dumb down Ubuntu for the people's masses, I'll keep Mint, and use the newly emptied partition to try other distros or new versions.
    Ubuntu went into a strange way .... Unity IMHO is not bad, but under-developed and mostly usable for netbooks and other portable appliances with mini screens.

I read (most) of the stuff you wrote in the link ... and would like to know where you work

Its just a dumb-*** question from my side, but really ... do people employ Linux users.... please tell

Ow .. and yes, Canonical developers (and I might get banned for this) are really working on a "Hello Kitty" OS, I don't like it ... and am not the only one ... they just do it...

azupan - a zoki?

stari moj, vse poti vodijo v Ljubljano...
    Ask what you can do for
    your company!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast