Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mac malware getting worse, is in the wild

Beans

Red face The Age old Virus Question - Revisited

I was happily cruising the net and found a recent article about an "Explosion of Malware" on the mac side of things. I was almost ready to dismiss it and thought I would visit some apple forums and see what is going on. I DID see some posts on someone getting a malware called "Mac Protector and Mac Defender". Very interesting I am now thinking. This does bring some questions to mind.

Since both Apple and Linux are unix based is it just a matter of time before we see the malware show up for linux? or---

Is this just some MS fud or scare tactic someone is throwing out there?

Interesting reading....
    http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/cryin...explosion/3351

Beans

Re: The Age old Virus Question - Revisited

Quote Originally Posted by coffee412 View Post
    I was happily cruising the net and found a recent article about an "Explosion of Malware" on the mac side of things. I was almost ready to dismiss it and thought I would visit some apple forums and see what is going on. I DID see some posts on someone getting a malware called "Mac Protector and Mac Defender". Very interesting I am now thinking. This does bring some questions to mind.

Since both Apple and Linux are unix based is it just a matter of time before we see the malware show up for linux? or---

Is this just some MS fud or scare tactic someone is throwing out there?

Interesting reading....
    http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/cryin...explosion/3351
    just fud.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I reckon I am going to get a bit of flamage for this but I will say it anyway. The majority of victims of this kind of malicious software are non technical users or clickers as I call them. These type of things work because people click before they think. The majority of Linux users are computer savvy and are less likely to give this sort of thing root access, I know that in the 16 years I was using Microsoft operating systems, before I went Linux full time, I never suffered from a virus or anything similar.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I was going to post on this but suddenly got very lethargic halfway through the ..... ZZzzzzzzzz
    clear && echo paste url and press enter; read paste; (youtube-dl $paste) | zenity --progress --title="" --text "Downloading, please wait" --auto-close --pulsate && ans=$(zenity --file-selection); gnome-terminal -x mplayer "$ans"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Sure. If ever Ubuntu (and other distros) become an attractive enough target, both Defenders and Protectors will appear. Obviously, there is no way of getting those things installed without user interaction, so I hope that makes most of us safe.

Edit: Most, but not all.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...5#post10840585
    Last edited by mikewhatever; May 20th, 2011 at 12:56 PM.

Beans

Sooooo recurring.

There are technological attacks and psychological attacks. Unix is very resistant to technological attacks.

"Mac Protector and Mac Defender" are psychological attacks, they fool the user to install malware on the system. The only was to defend against such an attack is to educate the user (or restrict the user on what they can and cannot do on their own system, which seems to be an emerging approach).

Unix is just as vulnerable to psychological attacks as any other system. When it comes to technological attacks, Unix is much better than windows, although it should be noted that nothing is 100% secure.

Beans
    Hidden!

Ubuntu already has been hit by a virus - with increasing user-friendliness comes increasing numbers of people who don't think it suspicious that an arbitrary program (such as a GNOME theme setup script) needs root access.
    Website | Blog | The Arch Hurd Project

If you want to ask about something I posted, send a PM, as I don't watch many threads

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

One of the most despicable comments on my earlier post reflected a common blame-the-victim attitude: “So, I should get excited that some people are stupid enough to download a trojan? Not a virus, nor a worm, just a trojan and you have to be retarded to install it.” Classy.
    Trojans rely on tricking the user. Name-calling (stupid, retarded) is unnecessary, of course, but the truth is still that these are not automated malware attacks taking advantage of any software flaw. These are social engineering attacks taking advantage of gullible users.

Social engineering and trojans can work on any platform (Mac, Windows, Linux), as long as the user is undiscerning and will install anything.

It doesn't matter how beefed up your fortress's security is if you're willing to open the barbed wire gates to anyone who asks.

Beans

Red face Re: The Age old Virus Question - Revisited

I just read thru the posts so far. Thanks everyone for your interest in posting.

Now, Im not one to post about viruses because Ive got a lot of experience in linux and windoz stuff. But the recent surfacing of a item on slashdot.com got me interested.

Evidently, Safari is setup to run stuff by default just like windows. This is how the malware got installed in the first place. I know from experience that linux doesnt do that. You have to give it permission.

But it was a interesting departure from the normal stuff to see how it would work on a apple product. My thinking right now is that linux is more secure than apple!

@ |{urse --> Hey, Drink more coffee. There was an article today saying heavy coffee drinkers are more immune to prostrate cancer. Drink up!

coffee

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by speedwell68 View Post
    I reckon I am going to get a bit of flamage for this but I will say it anyway. The majority of victims of this kind of malicious software are non technical users or clickers as I call them. These type of things work because people click before they think. The majority of Linux users are computer savvy and are less likely to give this sort of thing root access, I know that in the 16 years I was using Microsoft operating systems, before I went Linux full time, I never suffered from a virus or anything similar.
    Yeah, it seems like a waste of effort to target the usually tech-savvy linux user-base with viruses, and I think most of the losers who make them know that. And, as you said, even if they did make viruses they would likely never be a problem for most linux users. Either way, I see nothing to worry about.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast