Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Matlab on Ubuntu 10.04

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Matlab on Ubuntu 10.04

Matlab is easier to learn. It has better builtin help than QtOctave. A nice Windows only Octave graphical frontend is GUI Octave. Maybe works under wine haven't tried.
    Don't Pirate Just Share

Beans

Matlab is more used in the scientific community. As a consequence, there are many toolboxes developped by universities and research groups that are missing on Octave (e.g. CVX for convex optimisation, MPT for optimal constrained control, etc.).
    Another feature missing in Octave is Simulink.

The drawback is that you have to pay for all that and you depend completely on the decisions of Mathworks, a private company.

Anyway, some time ago I have started a thread about a comparison between Matlab and Octave. I'm telling you, just in case you want to take a look or contribute.

Beans

I did the following as said by Tobi, but I still get the same error as mentioned in the first post. Any help regarding this is highly appreciated, and thanks in advance.

Regards,
    Hrushikesh N. Kulkarni

Quote Originally Posted by linuxcrew View Post
    When the files are zipped, symbolic links are turned into text files. To solve this issue you have to re-create the link using the following commands:

cd bin/glnxa64
    rm libstdc++.so.6 && ln -s libstdc++.so.6.0.10 libstdc++.so.6

After that the installer should work.

If you have problems with permissons when accessing the glnxa64 folder (like I had) you have to do a "chmod 755 bin/glnxa64".

Regards
    Tobi

Beans

thanks for this your idea "cd bin/glnxa64 rm libstdc++.so.6 && ln -s libstdc++.so.6.0.10 libstdc++.so.6" work great two days i try repair my server and nothing always fail with " file too short"
    i try in my ubuntu server 10.10 x64 this, but with little changes, this is not /bin/glnxa64 in 10.10 server, with mc commander copy and paste new libstdc++.so.6 and libstdc++.so.6.0.14 to /usr/lib/ after that use cd /usr/lib/ and rm libstdc++.so.6 && ln -s libstdc++.so.6.0.14 libstdc++.so.6 and apt-get , aptitude dpkg and other instalers start work. yeah great and sorry for my english

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

I use the matlab's GUI programming (guide) a lot.
    that is not possible with octave.
    So, I still use Matlab.

Beans

Smile Re: Matlab on Ubuntu 10.04

Today is the 2nd day i use Linux in my life. I have spent 48 hours installing MATLAB 2012b on Ubuntu 12.04 inside VirtualBox.

i tried the method above but it did not work, after chmod 755 bin/glnxa64 i am still unable to access the folder. Maybe because i did not mount the shared folder (MATLAB installation file) correctly?

Finally i tried to copy paste the file libstdc++.so.6.0.13 in windows and rename it to libstdc++.so.6 and it works!

Thanks to linuxcrew, your First Cup of Ubuntu is so helpful!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12