Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 11.04 or 10.04?

Beans

11.04 or 10.04?

I came here couple of weeks ago. I knew nothing about Linux and judging by my post's have a long way to go. Have I learned things since I came here? YES thanks to the wonderful helpful people on this forum. Thanks to ALL of you.

I have used Windows for 12 years or longer and quite frankly became disgusted with their programs and their philosophy and never ending power grabs because they can do it because they have the most bucks.

When I came to Linux I downloaded the latest which was Unity. Within one week I was thinking of going to an earlier version simply because I did not like the Windows approach of the Unity desktop and too much of a gimmick perhaps childish and something I would not expect after serious well thought out versions of the past. Seemed to go backwards. Perhaps it is meant to appeal to the Window users. But then I discovered that I could go back to the classic screen and that is what I did and enjoy it much better. Perhaps it is because of my age being 60.

So I come here with this question with my limited exposure to Linux. Judging the direction that Mr. Shuttleworth and Canonical is taking Ubuntu perhaps it is best to go back to 10.04 or 10.10 and stay there until this 11.04 and 11.10 rides it's course for better or worse and then make a decision on the route to go.

Appreciate your comments and I am by no means trying or want a flame war.

Sincerely,

GumShoeGrant

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: 11.04 or 10.04?

Well, if you do not like Unity but still want 11.04, you can go to classic at login screen. I want to try Unity, but have not had time to go through hoops to get it to even work. Thats right, never even had it work once. If you had to roll back, I would go to 10.04 since it is an LTS and I had support to sleep on this computer.
    Just my opinion.
    --Corrytonapple----
    [Toshiba L455-S5008] [Intel Pentium 2.4GHz Procesor]
    [250GB HDD;4GB RAM] [Debian Wheezy 7.0 with GNOME 3][Fedora 16]

wojox is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

If your going to downgrade go to 10.04 LTS it's support is longer and should be more stable.

Beans

The key thing is that you have the choice. As you've discovered, if you're not happy with Unity, you can choose Classic Gnome. That said, 10.04 would be the way to go if you're wanting stability (while mostly stable, Compiz can be temperamental).

Beans

Hi. Well, I would recommend 10.04 (or 10.10) better. I passed a very bad experience with 11.04. The update manager basically made the kernel unusable. I could only boot the memory tests! I am using 10.10 now, and I like it very much. If you want to use a LTS, then use 10.04. If not, you could consider 10.10, and then upgrading directly to 12.10 when it comes out. That's what I'm going to do .

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I'm sticking with 10.04 until Unity and Gnome Shell have the wrinkles ironed out; give it six months. If you want to gain confidence in linux then start with a stable release. My two cents.
    Mint is also meant to be good and user-friendly. Avoid fedora.
    ASRock P67 Extreme6, Intel i5 2500K, 8GB RAM, nVidia 6600GT, 4x1TB RAID1+0

beew is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

I am going to tell you something different. If you have to downgrade, go to 10.10. It is similar to but better than 10.04. Faster and smoother in all machines I have tested on and also has newer softwares (most you can get from ppas so it doesn't matter but some are more difficult, for example evince (document viewer) is horribly slow in 10.04 but vastly improved in 10.10 and you can't find .deb or ppa for that).

10.10 will not expire until next April and by that time the next LTS will come out, so the reason for using an LTS for longer support cycle is moot. Go for the better OS and 10.10 is better than 10.04.
    Last edited by beew; May 19th, 2011 at 03:11 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hi guys i have a similar issue to gumshoegrant however for totally different reasons, i do quite like UNITY and i like GNOME but i have no idea about the version of the upgrade, for example i went from the 2004 version straight to 2011.04 version. Therefore i have a few question 1) is it possible for me to go to 10.4 if i jumped to 11.4? 2) how do i go about downloading different GUI's such as xfce and lxde, do i have to downlaod different versions of ubuntu like xubntu or is that just a name used for a different environment.

cheers in advance guys

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Wink Re: 11.04 or 10.04?

if you have most latest version ubuntu 11.04- Natty Narwhal for free downloading and free to explore.. the why will you use ubuntu 10.04- Lucid? use the upgraded version of ubuntu...stay happy with NATTY.
    if you still face the problem email me.. ambar.mukrg@hotmail.com

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Well im new to ubuntu so i plan on doing as much learning as possible, i thought it would be interesting to be able to switch between different versions i also find it a nice feature of linux to have multiple versions supported. To be honest i was more curious if it was possible more than anything, incase i ever have any issues. Also im more interested in changing my GUI than changing my update version. TY again.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast