Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: any good rpg/mmo games for linux?

Beans

any good rpg/mmo games for linux?

well i just recently started using linux and i'm finding it extremely difficult to find any decent games for this OS. i'm looking for some sort of rpg/mmorpg game that doesn't have subscription or is even free. I don't want to use WINE or any form of emulation, because it would be so much easier to just reboot my computer with a different HDD hehe. any suggestions are much appreciated

Beans

Re: any good rpg/mmo games for linux?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by snoopunit View Post
    well i just recently started using linux and i'm finding it extremely difficult to find any decent games for this OS. i'm looking for some sort of rpg/mmorpg game that doesn't have subscription or is even free.
    Regnum online has a linux version.
    I don't want to use WINE or any form of emulation, because it would be so much easier to just reboot my computer with a different HDD hehe.
    not really. for the compatible games it is as simple as:
    1. install wine
    2. install game (by right click the setup.exe and slecting open with wine)
    3. select the game from menu and play it.

Afterwards you obviously just select the game in menu and play it. Just like in windows.

Aside from old dos based rpg (they can be run via DOS box - you can use dosbox launcher for the GUI and easy install) from the 90's such as Ultima Underworld, Arena, Daggerfall you can run quite a few via WINE such as Morrowind, Oblivion...

Depends really what you like. i don't know that many new titiles as i only follow a few major ones. but most games (unless they have a linux client) need WINE to run in linux.

oh Dibalo 2 runs very well via Wine.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Disk backup (works on newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup Redobackup is now back as Rescuezilla

Beans

For compatible games, it's easy. But not all are compatible. And even many of those that claim to be compatible require some hacking of configurations or copying of files from a Windows install. And, not to mention how many times a WINE update breaks compatibility sometimes.

It is still ten fold easier to just run Windows on a second partition.

Beans

In the native mmorpg, the two best out there are Regnum Online, 100% free time but thats pretty much only quest/grinding leveling + pvp game
    and Ryzom, free trial unlimited in time but limited in progression, you can reach actualy lvl 125 in each skill with a maximum of 250, its actualy quite long to reach 125 in a decent number of skills, and this one is pretty much only a pve game, if you wana go past the trial, you gotta get a subscription going though, but the trial is alot of fun and worth trying
    There is also Tibia, 2d mmorpg, free + premium subcribtion for some bonus, the gameplay is pretty great, pve is mostly grinding, pvp is quite interesting, but the game in general is extremely hardcore

there is also quite a bunch of "not as good" (not to say, ******) mmorpg, like planeshift, eternal lands, and some more that i cant remember

on a side note, World of Warcraft run perfectly with wine and with no fix at all needed, even with old version as 1.12 and 2.4.3

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by sakuramboo View Post
    It is still ten fold easier to just run Windows on a second partition.
    sure. always the native OS wins. but if the game is rated gold/platinum in wine database then it's no problem to install and run it in wine.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Disk backup (works on newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup Redobackup is now back as Rescuezilla

Beans

wouldn't it use more resources from my computer to run a game through WINE rather than running it in a different os?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Not usually; you can sometimes get a performance boost.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

You could allways try Spiral Knights. It's not an rpg, but plays similar to one.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    sure. always the native OS wins. but if the game is rated gold/platinum in wine database then it's no problem to install and run it in wine.
    Not always. And the worst part is, it doesn't work the same for everyone. I've had platinum rated games break from a WINE update. I've had Platinum rated games require moving files from an already installed copy from a Windows machine to work, I've had Platinum rated games require bleeding edge patches to work. So, no, not always will they work 100%.

If you want to play Windows games, then play them on Windows. If you want to use Linux and WINE, don't complain when it doesn't work.

It would be great to be able to play XBox games on my PS3, but I'm not going to go all 3-year-old when it doesn't work. Sometimes, it's just not worth it.

And it's always better to support native Linux titles.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast