Thread: boot splash problem

Beans

boot splash problem

I've been having an ugly ubuntu boot splash for several months instead of the regular one. It looks like it changed after installing the ATI drivers. I am using Ubuntu 10.10 x64. It looks like it is a classic problem with well-known solutions. HOWEVER, these solutions don't seem to work. For example, this one:
    http://news.softpedia.com/news/How-t...4-140810.shtml

Also, the splash screen doesn't use the whole screen. A similar problem happened after login (and even using windows), but it was solved by modifying the "overscan" option to 0% in the ati configuration program. I thought this couldn't be solved for the splash screen, but when using ubuntu 11.04 (Live USB) this problem doesn't appear. Is there any way of correcting this for the splash screen? for the grub2 menu?

Thanks for your help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: boot splash problem

Quote Originally Posted by linkinsebas View Post
    I've been having an ugly ubuntu boot splash for several months instead of the regular one. It looks like it changed after installing the ATI drivers. I am using Ubuntu 10.10 x64. It looks like it is a classic problem with well-known solutions. HOWEVER, these solutions don't seem to work. For example, this one:
    http://news.softpedia.com/news/How-t...4-140810.shtml

Also, the splash screen doesn't use the whole screen. A similar problem happened after login (and even using windows), but it was solved by modifying the "overscan" option to 0% in the ati configuration program. I thought this couldn't be solved for the splash screen, but when using ubuntu 11.04 (Live USB) this problem doesn't appear. Is there any way of correcting this for the splash screen? for the grub2 menu?

Thanks for your help.
    I have the same behavor on my ATI card on my office PC. When I boot it off my Natty USB install, it uses the full 1920x1200. But when I had 10.10 on the USB, I had the 'little window'.

On my home NVidia based systems, I still get the 'little window' using the Natty USB.

The generic video support for Natty seems to support ATI better then it did for 10.10.

The Hedge

Look at all those flashing lights! I'll take one!

The Ubuntu Forums - our little Global Village