Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu refuses to detect my SD Card

Beans

Ubuntu refuses to detect my SD Card

I have an SD Card for my Camera and Ubuntu seems to refuse to detect it. When i put it in it will not show up, no matter how long its in. When i boot up in Windows (On the same Laptop) It detects it right away with no problem. Why does this happen?

Thanks

-Kitkin15

Beans

Re: Ubuntu refuses to detect my SD Card

Hello there,
    I once had a similar problem on opensuse. The filesystem format of the medium I wanted to mount wasn't installed, so I had to add it to /etc/filesystem.

- BUT the external hard drive was at least recognised
    - AND I'm not sure if there's an /etc/filesystem file in ubuntu

Hope this helped
    “No great discovery was ever made without a bold guess”

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Is this an SD card or a SDHC card? What capacity?
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans

Try inserting the SD card BEFORE you boot the machine .. it usually works then.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by danjh2705 View Post
    Try inserting the SD card BEFORE you boot the machine .. it usually works then.
    Tried that as well, and it didnt work.

Also, this is a SDHC Card, i didnt know there was a difference. Its 8 GIG, SanDisc.

Beans

P.S. It detects EVERYTHING except this card, i have Ubuntu installed on my EXT HDD (I took my HDD out of my computer and tricked the disc to believe that my EXT was in INT) and it detects the side of my EXT HDD that has files that i use on Windows and everything (Which is what it should do) And it detects all flashdrives, Zunes, and phones that are plugged in. Its just the SDHC

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Kitkin15 View Post
    Also, this is a SDHC Card, i didnt know there was a difference. Its 8 GIG, SanDisc.
    Yes, I thought it might be. I've found that SDHC cards are detected on some readers but not others. I first noticed this with an old card reader integrated with a floppy drive that I'd incorporated into my main desktop machine. In Ubuntu a standard SD card was detected but not an 8GB SDHC, whereas in Windows 7 on the same machine both SD and SDHC cards are detected. I tried other card readers and Ubuntu could detect SDHC in some but not others. I suspect that there is a driver issue with some card reader chipsets.

For example, I have two of those little USB card readers about the size of a large USB pendrive with one SD slot. The one that works with an SDHC card gives this output with lsusb:

Code:
    Bus 001 Device 003: ID 04cf:8819 Myson Century, Inc. USB 2.0 SD/MMC Reader
    The one that works with SD cards only (in Ubuntu) gives this:

Code:
    Bus 002 Device 004: ID 05e3:0710 Genesys Logic, Inc. USB 2.0 33-in-1 Card Reader
    Which is interesting because I also have a USB optical drive enclosure with a Genesys chipset which is problematic in some versions of Ubuntu, but that's another story.

I don't know of any solution if your particular card reader won't read SDHC cards - it's probably a faulty driver. The only solution I know is to get one of the small USB card readers and use that. They're not expensive but it would be a gamble. If you were unlucky you might end up with one which won't read SDHC cards either.

It's not much consolation, but your laptop card reader will probably detect and read a standard SD card in Ubuntu. SD cards are 4GB or less, although some 4GB cards are SDHC.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans

Ok, so i guess im just going to have to put up with using Windows...... Lol. I dont have the money to spend right now to get a USB Card Reader (Not trying to play the "poor card") so ill just tolerate it for the next few months.

Thanks for the help everyone

-Kitkin15

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Kitkin15 View Post
    I dont have the money to spend right now to get a USB Card Reader (Not trying to play the "poor card") so ill just tolerate it for the next few months.
    I sympathise. Out of interest, post the terminal output of:

Code:
    lsusb
    It would be useful to get the details of your particular card reader. I'll be doing the same with my collection of card readers and a list of those that do and don't work with SDHC cards will come in handy for others.

The ironic thing is that my thumbdrive-sized USB card reader that works with SDHC cards came "free" with a 4GB standard SD card. Whereas the one that doesn't work with SDHC cards is one I paid good money for.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecat View Post
    I sympathise. Out of interest, post the terminal output of:

Code:
    lsusb
    It would be useful to get the details of your particular card reader. I'll be doing the same with my collection of card readers and a list of those that do and don't work with SDHC cards will come in handy for others.

The ironic thing is that my thumbdrive-sized USB card reader that works with SDHC cards came "free" with a 4GB standard SD card. Whereas the one that doesn't work with SDHC cards is one I paid good money for.
    I'm having a similar problem. Mine is a Kingston SDHC 4G card in a TravelLite SD/MMC card reader (1 slot) that's never given me a problem w/ up to 2G SD & SDHC Class 4 cards. Now, I just took a brand-spanking-new Kingston 4G SDHC card Class 4 & stuck in said card reader & NOTHIN'! Here's the result of lsusb:

jessie@jessie-OptiPlex-GX270:~$ lsusb
    Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 001 Device 008: ID 19d2:0031 ONDA Communication S.p.A. ZTE MF636
    Bus 001 Device 002: ID 1a40:0201 TERMINUS TECHNOLOGY INC.
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

I tried adding after starting Ubuntu & before. If during a session & using Disk Utility to find it, it did but cldn't even power it down, said device busy.

Unfortunately, I don't have another card reader & it'll take WEEKS to get one down here (I'm in El Salvador).

Any ideas AFTER the last post (3 wks ago)?
    Last edited by iluminameluna; January 11th, 2012 at 05:04 AM. Reason: Clarification of WHEN my sys detects card reader (sort of).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast