Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gnome/XORG freezes when closing the laptop lid

Beans

Unhappy Re: Gnome/XORG freezes when closing the laptop lid

MMMmmmm. Getting the same since an upgrade to 12.04.

Oldish Toshiba M2 which ran 11.10 no problems but as soon as I close the lid now the machine just freezes and refuses to come back up when opening the lid. I am just looking at a backlit screen.

Have yet to try the Kill XORG trick but will give it a go and report back shortly.

Derek

Can report that I have no response from the mouse or keyboard once re-opening the lid. No choice but to power down and power up again.
    Last edited by bradshawd; May 11th, 2012 at 07:55 PM. Reason: Update

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Gnome/XORG freezes when closing the laptop lid

Quote Originally Posted by bradshawd View Post
    Oldish Toshiba M2 which ran 11.10 no problems but as soon as I close the lid now the machine just freezes and refuses to come back up when opening the lid. I am just looking at a backlit screen.

Can report that I have no response from the mouse or keyboard once re-opening the lid. No choice but to power down and power up again.
    By "backlit", do you mean a black screen, but you know the computer is on because the screen is receiving power (because it is giving off a small amount of light)? If so, I do believe you are having a different issue.

In my case, the desktop and any open windows are visible when opening the lid. It looks just fine except the clock is frozen to when the computer froze and nothing reacts to any clicks or typing. It's like someone took a screenshot of the desktop.

Quote Originally Posted by bradshawd View Post
    Have yet to try the Kill XORG trick but will give it a go and report back shortly.
    Just make sure you enable it, as the shortcut is disabled by default.

The setting seems to have moved, but can now be found in:
    System Settings > Keyboard Layout > Options
    Then scroll down to "Key Sequence to kill XServer" and make sure it's checked.

Beans
    Distro

I found a solution! (sort of)
    EDIT: Nope, solution didn't work. Eventually I got another screen lockup, and have gotten several more since.

It was apparent after some searching that gnome-screensaver was the root of the issue (see https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...er/+bug/762918 )

So, I uninstalled the package:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove gnome-screensaver
    So far (48 hours and counting), I haven't had a single problem! (but I'll be sure to report back if I run into any issues)

Note that the "Turn screen off when inactive for x minutes" settings are in "Brightness and Lock" and don't require the gnome-screensaver packages, so I still get a black screen as a "screensaver".
    Last edited by IQAndreas; June 3rd, 2012 at 01:50 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Did you ever stumble upon a solution to this problem? I'm having the same difficulties.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by bailunrui View Post
    Did you ever stumble upon a solution to this problem? I'm having the same difficulties.
    No "good" solution, but one something previously seems to be working (though, it may just be a coincidence and the bug was fixed in one of the updates released at around the same time I tried the workaround )

Go to "System Settings > Brightness and lock". Then turn on the options for locking the screen when inactive.

It's quite annoying to have to re-type my password in every time I get on the computer, but you get used to it.

Beans

Hello man.

Have you tryed disable the Ubuntu native screensaver (Pangolin). It's seems to be the problem.

Just type this on Terminal:

gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.screensaver idle-activation-enabled false

I've found this here:

http://www.liberiangeek.net/2012/04/...cise-pangolin/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12