Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Activating Windows xp after 2014

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Activating Windows xp after 2014

Windows xp will be officially discontinued by Microsoft in 2014. So my question is: will I be able to activate a fresh installation of Windows xp in 2014 and after? I still love windows xp, so its good to have it on my old PC.

Beans

Re: Activating Windows xp after 2014

Probably not. By then Microsoft will probably require everyone who uses Windows XP on a physical machine or virtual machine to upgrade to Windows 8 or 7 or whatever.
    No longer active here.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Wait until 2014 and comeback and tell us. I guess it will work just fine. Microsoft discontinued W2K years ago and it will still install.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by speedwell68 View Post
    Wait until 2014 and comeback and tell us. I guess it will work just fine. Microsoft discontinued W2K years ago and it will still install.
    But xp requires activation or it'll wipe its self in 30 days. Never done a blank win2k install so I wouldn't know if it did.
    I had to do it.

wojox is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

If it's officially discontinued it would mean no support, so would you want to run it?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

about 5 months ago i tried to install my oem copy of xp pro, wouldn't activate over the Internet, so i tried to activate by phone, went through the computer BS didn't work, talked to live person next. they told me i couldn't activate my copy because i had abused it. i spoke with the supervisor, she told me same thing. said i had activated it to many times. 74 time since 2002. I asked her where does it say that there is a limit on how many times it can be activated, but long story short, i hate microsoft.
    The box said to install windows 2000 or better, so I installed Linux.
    ( was stolen from a wallpaper i saw on the Internet )

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by speedwell68 View Post
    W2k was the last Win OS that didn't require activation. with XP this will be new ground for MS.

they will probably put out an activation patch when they take the servers down. at least I would hope so.
    Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin2128 View Post
    But xp requires activation or it'll wipe its self in 30 days. Never done a blank win2k install so I wouldn't know if it did.
    I have an xp disc, but I can't read the key.

I just reinstall it every 30 days in a VM.

Takes about 20 mins while I'm doing something else.

I use it about once a month for my son's ipod touch

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

I wonder what my school and all the other companies/offices that use XP will do.
    They will have to upgrade the hardware too.
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
    Freedom is measured in Stallmans.
    Projects: gEcrit

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cgroza View Post
    I wonder what my school and all the other companies/offices that use XP will do.
    They will have to upgrade the hardware too.
    I'm in the process of trying to explain to my school's IT department (they have laptops with 2k on them, with an xp sticker on them) that Macs are not the answer.

And I would think that if XP is currently installed then the only thing that would happen is you don't get any security updates.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast