Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rsync to SMB/CIFS share?

Beans

Rsync to SMB/CIFS share?

Is it possible to rsync to a samba/CIFS share? If so, how would I do this?

Is there any issues with doing such a thing?

What disadvantages would there be over using NFS instead?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Rsync to SMB/CIFS share?

Quote Originally Posted by Roasted View Post
    Is it possible to rsync to a samba/CIFS share? If so, how would I do this?

Is there any issues with doing such a thing?

What disadvantages would there be over using NFS instead?
    I think this is perfectly possible. The only problems would be those related to owners, file attributes (+x) and probably symlinks. They are the same problems of using a NTFS partition, for example.
    Last edited by lmarmisa; May 15th, 2011 at 05:17 AM.

Beans

So what exactly would I do to rsync to a cifs share? I'm not sure how I'd be able to set the command to do it.

Out of curiosity, are there any rsync gui's that have the ability to handle cifs syncing?

And like I asked before... are there any disadvantages to doing this?

Beans

You mention there might be issues related to owner? What does that mean exactly? Once the files transition over to the NAS box they're under ownership of the same user since that's the user who's logged in. Am I missing something?

Also, is there a "downside" to losing execute rights with the atributes you spoke of? I assume that's what you meant by +x.

Lastly, what are symlinks exactly? My goal here is to have this NAS set up so if a hard drive tanks, I can pull the data back over when I get a new install going. That said, what issues would I run into if a drive failure happened and I pulled the data back over to a new install of Ubuntu?

Beans

So what exactly would I do to rsync to a cifs share? I'm not sure how I'd be able to set the command to do it.
    I haven't done an rsync in years so I will not be offended if someone else criticizes or corrects my syntax.

Let's take the worst example, that of a home directory to a samba share mounted through "Network" in Nautilus:

Code:
     sudo rsync -ax --exclude='/.gvfs' /home/morbius/ /home/morbius/.gvfs/"backup on nas"
    I'm assuming the share name = "backup" and the server name = nas.

You need to exclude ".gvfs" for a number of reasons but in this particular case that's the location of the mount point of the remote share. So unless you exclude it you'll be in an infinite loop.

If you created a classic mount of a samba share then it's the same thing - different mountpoint:
    Code:
    sudo rsync -ax --exclude='/.gvfs' /home/morbius/ /mnt/backup
    Either way you have to exclude the ".gvfs" directory.

Beans
    Distro

Samba/CIFS does not match very well the requirements of the native Linux/GNU file systems like ex4, ext3, etc. So, the remote synchronization of files/folders to a samba NAS is not perfect. The problems arise with the preservation of modification times, permissions (for example executable files), owners and groups of the different files to synchronize.

NFS is more appropriate for rsync because it supports permissions and owners/groups and matches all the basic requirements of the Linux/GNU file systems. NFS has some limitations related to encryption and security and it is normally used only in trusted networks.

This is an example of how to mount a remote CIFS directory using samba (install the package smbfs if necessary):

Code:
    sudo mount -t cifs //192.168.2.73/BACKUPS /mnt -o username=luis,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777
    This command is an example of rsync:
    Code:
    rsync -r -n -v --progress -s /home/luis/Desktop /mnt/backup01
    If you wish a GUI for rsync, I recommend to install Grsync:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install grsync
    Last edited by lmarmisa; May 16th, 2011 at 07:46 PM.

Beans

Yeah, I hear ya there. I've done a lot of homework recently on NFS and CIFS. NFS, while simpler in design, has literally no security. I mean, I just can't imagine using NFS in a production environment. CIFS at least has the security barrier there. I would only consider using NFS in a production environment if they bumped up security to at least require user authentication. Until then, CIFS is the way I'll go.

I've also done a ton of speed comparisons with CIFS and NFS. There is literally no difference in speed. I've taken even the largest of files and pushed/pulled them through both protocols to/from my file server, and in each instance they end the transfer within seconds of each other, which over a 20 minute transfer is remarkable that they can be so close.

That said, it is a little bit of a bummer that Linux file systems don't play too nice with CIFS and vice versa. I can only hope something like BTRFS in the future has better support for this. Nonetheless, I will continue to use CIFS as I find it to be better suited for me.

I'll look into grsync though. I have used it many years ago, but I'll try it now. Again, I just want a reliable way to back up files. If the owner/group doesn't transfer, I really don't see how it matters.

Think about it like this. Let's say your name is Bob, and you log into my FreeNAS file server as Bob. When you transfer files to it, those files take on the ownership of Bob since that's the user you're logged in as. So the files on the file server are thereby owned by... Bob.

On the flip side, let's say your hard drive dies. Ah, crap! Pull data from the NAS. So you log in as Bob and copy the files over. As the data gets written to your newly installed hard drive on your computer, you are writing the data as the owner logged in. Who's logged in? You are. So you thereby own the files you are writing to the local disk of your system.

Sure, maybe not EVERYTHING gets saved. But the critical stuff is there.

Beans
    Distro

If you have decided to use CIFS (I agree with you), maybe rsync is not the best solution for your backups.

Consider to use a fine classic tool of the UNIX world: tar. tar will preserve all the attributes of files and folders.

This link could help you:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=35087

Finally, if you wish to make some complete backups of your system, I recommend Clonezilla Live. It works great with CIFS:

http://clonezilla.org/clonezilla-live.php

Beans

I love Clonezilla. I use it extensively. But the idea here isn't necessarily to have backups. I have a lot of raided setups so losing data isn't the concern.

Here's my story. My desktop is a gaming rig, dual monitors, blah blah blah. I'm trying to be more green since, well, I'm too poor to afford these energy bills, so I set up a spare box that, according to my wattage meter, is CONSIDERABLY more energy efficient than my desktop. That said, I find myself living off of my CR-48 laptop now, which has a 16gb hard drive.

So... I'm trying to utilize my FreeNAS box (running a ZFS Raid1 array) as my means of being able to access my data. That way I can just connect to it and work from it and even though I have a 16gb hard drive, I realistically have 500gb of space at my disposal.

The catch is this. My desktop will be powered off almost all of the time, but I would like to have some sort of syncing between my desktop and the SAN. That way if I make new changes on the SAN, it'll sync to my desktop. Then if I make changes to my desktop, it'll sync to the SAN so I can access it from my laptop, etc.

So I'm trying to find a logical way of making both locations (desktop and SAN) having the same data. Rsync was the best way I knew of. That said, .tar'ing everything might not be totally optimal. I'm just looking for the data in its raw format.

Do you have any other suggestions? I REALLY appreciate your help so far.

Beans
    Distro

This is an example about how to make a backup of the home folder using tar. The destination will be the CIFS directory mounted in /mnt:

Code:
    cd
    tar cvpzf /mnt/backuphome01.tgz .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast