Thread: HOWTO : Online TV and Movies on Ubuntu 11.04 Desktop

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Lightbulb HOWTO : Online TV and Movies on Ubuntu 11.04 Desktop

If you want to watch online TV or movies on Ubuntu 11.04, you can use SopCast and PPStream. The setup is quiet easy. Just let's go and enjoy!

The tutorial is here ...

Samiux

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: HOWTO : Online TV and Movies on Ubuntu 11.04 Desktop

Thank you soooo much for posting this. I have tried steps 1-3 and so far it's working great!!

One question: Would you know a way to get totem to display channel names in Traditional Chinese? My totem currently displays the names of sopcast channels and ppstream categories in Simplified Chinese, and I would like to change that to Traditional Chinese if it is possible (and does not require too much of your effort.

Many thanks again for this brilliant HowTo post!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by kwanylongy View Post
    Thank you soooo much for posting this. I have tried steps 1-3 and so far it's working great!!

One question: Would you know a way to get totem to display channel names in Traditional Chinese? My totem currently displays the names of sopcast channels and ppstream categories in Simplified Chinese, and I would like to change that to Traditional Chinese if it is possible (and does not require too much of your effort.

Many thanks again for this brilliant HowTo post!!
    For SopCast, just edit the following file. However, this file may change from time to time.

Code:
    ~/.local/share/totem/plugin/sopcast/channels.xml

Beans

I've just installed Ubuntu 11.10 and then PPStream, using the deb on their site.
    http://dl.pps.tv/pps_linux_download.html

(Reports elsewhere say the totem method doesn't work now.)

It installed with a few warnings, and sort of works, but I cannot open links in the list of available videos on the left. But if I click a link on the right hand side, amongst the info, and the video linked then does play.

I can see only the top level of categories, but if I click to open one, nothing happens.
    The search box doesn't give me any clickable links either.

I found the readme: http://download.ppstream.com/linux/readme.txt

which said to do this:
    sudo apt-get install libqt4-core libqt4-dbus libqt4-gui libqt4-network libqt4-webkit libqt4-xml libfuse2 mplayer
    sudo dpkg -i ppstream_1.0.2-1_i386.deb
    So I tried that too, no change.
    But it indicates that the problem could be related to a change in libqt

Note that I don't read Chinese, but my daughter does (who insisted I install this for her), and if I can't get this working I'll have to install Windows.....
    Last edited by AlanHK; January 27th, 2012 at 04:54 AM.