Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: compiz memory leak?

Beans

Re: compiz memory leak?

If killing indicator-multiload helped for you too,....
    If using Unity then that indicator can't be used, and if adding any other indicators one should ck. and see if there are any ill effects
    (either in compiz mem use, the indicator itself or supporting libs of the indicator.

The other bug is long-standing and has gone thru several variations - atm there is a per use penalty of certain functions - some I think may be expected (initial use of the various elements) , some not - the continual small bump per repeated use

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Stayed stable overnight.

I have the weather-indicator and dropbox indicator running without any issues. What is the best alternative for load indicator?

(I like to see it to easily know if my co-worker is running jobs on my system).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by kuntau View Post
    This has happened a couple of times but this is the only time I managed to see what the cause of this problem. Before this when I leave my computer overnight and when I wake up the system already not responsive I'am not been able to turn wake my monitor from standby.

This time I just go out for couple of hours and when I get back my computer already become sluggish. So a quick check with System Monitor I found out compiz is using 2.4GB from my total memory of 4GB and 100% swap was used.
    I'm having the same problem. It started about a week ago on my Natty 64 bit laptop. Compiz eats 1.5 to 2.5 gb memory which isn't released.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

As mentioned, are you running the load indicator?

I've been running for about a week straight and it has been stable at 800MB. What plugins are enabled? (I'm using Desktop Cube with Unity, and some Windows Management plugins).

Beans

Angry Re: compiz memory leak?

This is happening to me,

ubuntu 64bit, I do not have indicator multiload at all, I do have other indicators and custom icons.

check-gmail
    minbar
    dropbox

+ standard unity/ubuntu indicators.

The problem is not isolated with a specific indicator, its a compiz bug as stated earlier in one of the posts here, the indicators use a feature which is severely damaged in compiz.

Beans

Exclamation Re: compiz memory leak?

Quote Originally Posted by nasrat View Post
    This is happening to me,

ubuntu 64bit, I do not have indicator multiload at all, I do have other indicators and custom icons.
    [...]
    dropbox
    I think it is dropbox, Even with kwin (KDE) I am getting massive memory leaks. I disabled dropbox on autostart for now, testing.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Talking Re: compiz memory leak?

Quote Originally Posted by nasrat View Post
    I think it is dropbox, Even with kwin (KDE) I am getting massive memory leaks. I disabled dropbox on autostart for now, testing.
    I have removed dropbox from startup applications, logged out and back in again. I ran the PC over night and compiz memory was stable.
    So in my case it looks like dropbox was the culprit.

Thanks @nasrat

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    If using Unity then that indicator can't be used...
    Umm, yes it can. It's in the Universe repo.

Beans

I've been seeing the same thing on Oneric. The symptom was that I'd come in to work, and my system would not come back from the screen blanker - nothing visible but the cursor. I could type in my password, and it seemed like something was happening, the cursor would change to the "busy" indicator for a while, but it would never unblank the screen. Until now, the only way to get it back was the power button.

A few days ago, I found the config to enable CTRL-ALT-BS to kill the X server. This morning, I tried that, and it did unblank, and I was able to log in.

I found compiz was using over 2 GB (out of 3 GB), and the system was running very, very slowly. I did a kill -9 on the compiz process (it ignored lesser kills), it restarted itself, and everything sped up to normal.

Lacking a fix yet, I think I'm going to set up a cron script to do the compiz --replace & thing if compiz ever takes up more than 100 meg or so.

Edit: I just did that. Crontab I added:

0 5 * * * if [ `ps --no-headers -o pmem -C compiz | sed -e 's/\..*//'` -gt 10 ]; then DISPLAY=:0 compiz --replace >/tmp/compiz.rep 2>&1 &; fi
    That'll kill it if it ever takes up more than 10% of my system memory. (Currently, it's taking 2.1%.)
    Last edited by mikevp; February 6th, 2012 at 06:17 PM. Reason: D'OH! Must specify display; $DISPLAY isn't set by cron

Beans

Well, compiz --replace often fails to restart compiz. So, my current crontab is

0 5 * * * if [ `ps --no-headers -o pmem -C compiz | sed -e 's/\..*//'` -gt 10 ]; then pkill -9 compiz; fi
    When I ssh into the afflicted desktop and pkill -9 compiz, that works, and compiz usually respawns. But when compiz has gone rabid, it uses so much system resources that it takes quite a while to get logged in.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast