Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Installation 11.04: Unexpected exit with status 0x0009

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Installation 11.04: Unexpected exit with status 0x0009

Hi,

I'm trying to make a fresh install on my desktop computer and I got this error on boot:

Code:
    udevd-work[155]: '/sbin/modprobe -bv pci:<followed by some numbers>'

unexpected exit with status 0x0009
    and it stuck there.

Note that I'm trying to install from a usb stick.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Installation 11.04: Unexpected exit with status 0x0009

Anyone?

Beans

Unhappy Re: Installation 11.04: Unexpected exit with status 0x0009

Quote Originally Posted by jambel View Post
    Anyone?
    Same problem here, with Lubuntu 11.04 (USB stick and CD) and Kubuntu 11.04 (USB stick). Motherboard is ASRock P43Twins1600. I don't get that message when trying to install - the kernel just hangs after detecting drives. Tried waiting 10 minutes to no avail.

I have an old computer I use for playing old XP games, just tried everything there - every installer works. Tried installing Lubuntu 11.04 onto a SATA drive and move it to my ASRock system, on boot I just get a black screen.

I tried unplugging every other disk and every expansion card (save for the PCIe nVidia graphics which I kinda need ), and then I get this error. Specifically,

udevd-work[87]: '/sbin/modprobe -bv pci:v000010DEd00000141sv00001043sd000081EEbc03sc00 i00' unexpected exit with status 0x0009.

Seeing as how Lubuntu isn't even based on Ubuntu per se, this really reeks of kernel trouble (again, kernel trouble with 2.6.38 - sigh!!!). I'm gonna try disabling onboard peripherals and see if I can narrow it down, perhaps even boot.

Beans

Hmmm, this looks nVidia related here. Are you using nVidia, too?

Trying to boot in recovery mode is a little more verbose, and the message log is filled with nouveau messages, stranges ones, too - like claiming to do 55+ GHz on the mem at 126% fan speed?!?! Even if this card had a fan, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to clock the mem at 55 Ghz

Will try to see if I can boot without the nouveau driver and confirm or deny this theory.

Beans

Righty-o, confirmed here. Something's amiss with the nouveau module. Blacklisting it will let you boot, using fallback framebuffer instead. When booting, hit TAB to edit the boot parameters. Add this to the end of the line, but before the two dashes ("--"):

nouveau.blacklist=1

Then boot. You may see the screen go messy while you write because the line gets two wide to fit, but don't worry, all is good. You may see a message complaining that nouveau does not have an option, "blacklist" or something like that, but it does, and it does work, and I think maybe that message should've read, "there's no nouveau module to do 'blacklist' on" as the module isn't loaded, and that's probably what the complaint it about. It's also what we want to happen

Once booted, you can install the OS. Use the same trick in the GRUB screen after rebooting, or you'll have a broken kernel message once again (or a black screen).

Then install the proprietary nvidia drivers:
    $ sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install nvidia-current

This rebuilds the kernel initramfs so from now on you'll be booting not with the broken nouveau module, but the proprietary nvidia module.

My boot is still a bit quirky though - I don't get a splash screen, and sometimes I don't even get GRUB (I've therefore been holding down left shift when I need it), and sometimes I don't even get an X login prompt...

I thought nouveau might still be loaded, so I tried adding "nouveau.blacklist=1" to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT in /etc/default/grub and doing sudo update-grub2 to make sure that nouveau would be blacklisted by default, but this actually seems to make the problem worse - as in with this on, I don't get to the X login screen.

I currently run with the proprietary nvidia drivers installed and without the blacklist option in GRUB, and while I only have a black screen while booting, it seems to be pretty consistent in reaching X login, and I still have usable TTYs along with the nvidia accelerated X session.

HTH,
    Daniel

Beans

Just upgrade to the latest kernel.

2.6.38 is a POS. The latest version is much more robust.

Beans

Thumbs down Re: Installation 11.04: Unexpected exit with status 0x0009

Quote Originally Posted by NormanFLinux View Post
    Just upgrade to the latest kernel.

2.6.38 is a POS. The latest version is much more robust.
    I couldn't agree more - 2.6.38 is nothing but trouble. But... It is the latest? Unless we go with the odd, or unstable, version. With the only difference being that that one will be officially unstable, while the 2.6.38 one is unofficially unstable.

Is there an Ubuntu PPA or just debs for recent kernels from the unstable branch? I would love to ditch this broken .38 kernel and go for something else.

Beans

http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline

Gonna try the latest one now

Beans

Woops... No 64-bit

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by DanielBuus View Post
    Righty-o, confirmed here. Something's amiss with the nouveau module. Blacklisting it will let you boot, using fallback framebuffer instead. When booting, hit TAB to edit the boot parameters. Add this to the end of the line, but before the two dashes ("--"):

nouveau.blacklist=1

Then boot. You may see the screen go messy while you write because the line gets two wide to fit, but don't worry, all is good. You may see a message complaining that nouveau does not have an option, "blacklist" or something like that, but it does, and it does work, and I think maybe that message should've read, "there's no nouveau module to do 'blacklist' on" as the module isn't loaded, and that's probably what the complaint it about. It's also what we want to happen

Once booted, you can install the OS. Use the same trick in the GRUB screen after rebooting, or you'll have a broken kernel message once again (or a black screen).

Then install the proprietary nvidia drivers:
    $ sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install nvidia-current

This rebuilds the kernel initramfs so from now on you'll be booting not with the broken nouveau module, but the proprietary nvidia module.

My boot is still a bit quirky though - I don't get a splash screen, and sometimes I don't even get GRUB (I've therefore been holding down left shift when I need it), and sometimes I don't even get an X login prompt...

I thought nouveau might still be loaded, so I tried adding "nouveau.blacklist=1" to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT in /etc/default/grub and doing sudo update-grub2 to make sure that nouveau would be blacklisted by default, but this actually seems to make the problem worse - as in with this on, I don't get to the X login screen.

I currently run with the proprietary nvidia drivers installed and without the blacklist option in GRUB, and while I only have a black screen while booting, it seems to be pretty consistent in reaching X login, and I still have usable TTYs along with the nvidia accelerated X session.

HTH,
    Daniel
    I use nvidia as well but I'm not sure I follow.

Can you please make a step by step solution? I start with me as far as I get the error...

1. boot from usb stick
    2. Install ubuntu

after a while I get the error message

3. what follows? where to hit TAB, how to disable nouveau, what file should I edit and how (if any)?

Thanks!
    Last edited by jambel; May 16th, 2011 at 04:31 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast