Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 129

Thread: Unable to access certain websites from Ubuntu

  1. #41
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    South Dakota
    Beans
    1,134
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

    Arrow Re: Unable to access certain websites from Ubuntu

    Quote Originally Posted by DemianDemerzel View Post
    Hey ClientAlive,

    The problems persists in Opera.



    Now I am going to try JTarin's solution. Let's see what happens.

    Awesome. We know it isn't anything to do with firefox now; or, more specifically, any web browser. jtarin sound's like he knows what's up w/ this. I'm in the US so maybe a little different than what you guys are talking about. Don't know.

    Sorry I couldn't help more. I'm interested to see how this plays out though.

    “ The best method for accelerating a computer is the one that boosts it by 9.8 m/s2. ”
    - Anonymous

  2. #42
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Planet Earth, Milky Way
    Beans
    50
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

    Re: Unable to access certain websites from Ubuntu

    I asked the same question to Lernu! users on their forum and one of them has suggested there could be a problem with the DNS server. What do you think?
    Last edited by DemianDemerzel; May 14th, 2011 at 06:28 PM.

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    South Dakota
    Beans
    1,134
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

    Arrow Re: Unable to access certain websites from Ubuntu

    Quote Originally Posted by DemianDemerzel View Post
    I asked the same question to Lernu! users on their forum and one of them has suggested there could be a problem with the DNS server. What do you think?

    It's possible. Are you able to contact your service provider in a way that's convenient enough? They may be able to give you some infomation that would be useful. The only thing I think about though is that you say you can get through to other web sites ok. Another possibility to consider is that maybe certain web sites server have a problem with the kind of intenet service or set up you are using. I would still contact your isp if you can though.

    “ The best method for accelerating a computer is the one that boosts it by 9.8 m/s2. ”
    - Anonymous

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    43° 7' 41" 131° 54' 3"
    Beans
    Hidden!

    Re: Unable to access certain websites from Ubuntu

    Quote Originally Posted by DemianDemerzel View Post
    I asked the same question to Lernu! users on their forum and one of them has suggested there could be a problem with the DNS server. What do you think?
    That's what the /etc/resolv.conf file is for....but I still haven't heard any results from this.
    EasyBCD.
    PrintersDatabase
    Boot Info Script: How to
    The post above and the post below suffer from the Rashomon effect!

  5. #45
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Planet Earth, Milky Way
    Beans
    50
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

    Re: Unable to access certain websites from Ubuntu

    Quote Originally Posted by jtarin View Post
    That's what the /etc/resolv.conf file is for....but I still haven't heard any results from this.
    Hi JTarin,

    I think I told you and other friends that I did not see any improvement even after swapping the numbers. Didn't I?

    And, I just noticed the Login page of Hotmail downloads but I'm not able to log in.

    No improvement in case of other websites.

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Beans
    17,721
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

    Re: Unable to access certain websites from Ubuntu

    Quote Originally Posted by DemianDemerzel View Post
    Hi JTarin,

    I think I told you and other friends that I did not see any improvement even after swapping the numbers. Didn't I?

    And, I just noticed the Login page of Hotmail downloads but I'm not able to log in.

    No improvement in case of other websites.
    That is not just one of those cases were the web site only lets internet explorer connect to it is it? I know I use to click a tab in the previous version of firefox to connect to sites that only accepted explorer.

  7. #47
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Planet Earth, Milky Way
    Beans
    50
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

    Re: Unable to access certain websites from Ubuntu

    Quote Originally Posted by wildmanne39 View Post
    That is not just one of those cases were the web site only lets internet explorer connect to it is it? I know I use to click a tab in the previous version of firefox to connect to sites that only accepted explorer.
    Which tab did you use to click?
    Last edited by DemianDemerzel; May 15th, 2011 at 11:28 AM. Reason: To imform of an update

  8. #48
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Planet Earth, Milky Way
    Beans
    50
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

    Re: Unable to access certain websites from Ubuntu

    My boss has just advised me to use HideMyAss. It works for The Atlantic and TV Fanatic but not for Hotmail. Moreover, it seems to me like a makeshift solution. Any suggestion that fixes the problem once and for all is welcome.

  9. #49
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    43° 7' 41" 131° 54' 3"
    Beans
    Hidden!

    Re: Unable to access certain websites from Ubuntu

    Quote Originally Posted by DemianDemerzel View Post
    My boss has just advised me to use HideMyAss. It works for The Atlantic and TV Fanatic but not for Hotmail. Moreover, it seems to me like a makeshift solution. Any suggestion that fixes the problem once and for all is welcome.
    Having to use a proxy with only certain sites tells me that these sights have blocked your IP number. You could always write an email to support of any sights your having problems with and give them your ISP name and address range and ask them to unblock.
    EasyBCD.
    PrintersDatabase
    Boot Info Script: How to
    The post above and the post below suffer from the Rashomon effect!

  10. #50
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    South Africa
    Beans
    2,098
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Unable to access certain websites from Ubuntu

    http://38.118.71.170/ should give you the same as theatlantic.com
    http://216.87.173.18 should give you tvfanatic.com

    If those are not working, it's definitely not a nameserver issue
    Last edited by Wim Sturkenboom; May 15th, 2011 at 03:43 PM.
    If you don't make backups of your important data, your data is obviously not important to you.

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •