Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for a very stable distro

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Looking for a very stable distro

Hey guys. First of all, let me say that Ubuntu has been great to me. After updating to 11.04, I have some massive freezing issues (similar to the fellow here if you're interested). Now, rather than searching everywhere for an answer, I've decided that I don't really want to have to play with the bugs and hope they will resolve any more.

I'm looking to try out some of the least buggy distros you can think of. I guess I'm trying to say that I'm looking for more stable and thoroughly-tested distros, rather than more bleeding-edge distributions.

Although I could install Windows XP on this PC, I would rather chose a Linux distro first because I feel like it could take better advantage of my hardware.

So... I've heard Debian may be what I'm looking for, but how do other major distributions do in comparison? Linux Mint? OpenSUSE? Arch? Slackware?

*edit* Oh and the freezing issue isn't the sole reason for my wanting to try out other distros... it was more of a buildup to this point.
    Last edited by racie; May 13th, 2011 at 03:25 AM.
    Mint 17.3 Cinnamon

Beans

Re: Looking for a very stable distro

I think it's worth putting in a little time to investigate the freezing issue. If the freeze is being caused by a particular version of the kernel, Xorg, a hardware driver, etc. then you might have the same problem with other distros that share the same version.

To answer your specific question, the most stable distros that I've personally had the pleasure of using include Debian, CentOS, Slackware, and of course, Ubuntu Long-Term-Support.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Slackware, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, Debian, Scientific Linux, CentOS, and Ubuntu LTS. Basically you want to stick with enterprise quality distributions/projects that have fixed release cycles and numerous QA/testing cycles and good security support.

Beans
    Hidden!

pick an LTS. stability is what there all about.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by snowpine View Post
    I think it's worth putting in a little time to investigate the freezing issue. If the freeze is being caused by a particular version of the kernel, Xorg, a hardware driver, etc. then you might have the same problem with other distros that share the same version.
    True. And I'm not blaming Ubuntu for the problem... it just reminded me of the other major issues I've had.

Hmm... so far Debian and Ubuntu LTS are my top choices. In fact, I think I'll try a dual-boot with Debian this weekend.
    Mint 17.3 Cinnamon

Beans
    Hidden!

Debian, Scientific Linux, Slackware. All really stable, all good choices.

Beans

I think that Lubuntu 11.04 is excellent, if LXDE has all the features that you need. Salix OS a slackware based distro is also very excellent. XFCE is the desktop for the main edition for Salix.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Arch, it may take some time to set up tho.
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
    Freedom is measured in Stallmans.
    Projects: gEcrit

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Another one: Mepis.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

My suggestion would be to try PCLinuxOS. My reasoning is here.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1757274

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast