Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Language to start with

Beans

Best Language to start with

Hey everyone!

I am planning on starting to teach myself how to program this summer, but i do not know where to start due to the vast number of languages available. I started on python, but the dynamic nature of the language didn't seem to click with me. which do you guys think is the best static programming language to start with?

Beans

Re: Best Language to start with

Try Java. There are some good books and guides out there.
    It's pretty user-friendly, and after you learn that you'll be able to delve into the Android realm as well.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

I learned C++ as a second language. It taught me a lot.
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
    Freedom is measured in Stallmans.
    Projects: gEcrit

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 13.10 Saucy Salamander

I started with c++ but if I had to do it again I would go with Python or Java to begin with.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

In that case, I'd recommend to go for C or Java. Otherwise I'd say Python. If you wish to start with functional programming, go for Haskell.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I would go for c or c++. Lots of good guides out there. You can do nice things with both of them.

Beans
    Hidden!

The most important is that you follow the philosophy of the language. In Java or C++, everything is an object with attributes en methods, in Haskell, everything is a function, in Prolog, everything is a logical formula with variables, in C, everything is a method ...

Don't try to push your own programming style to the language, but learn the programming style for which the language is created. If you are not able to adapt yourself, use another language.

I tried C++ first, but that was too difficult. Java worked for me. The big difference is that Java has a lot more build-in and well-documented packages.

Beans

Learn Python because it is basically the monkey wrench of the programming world. In other words it can be used for everything and can be done quickly to.

Beans

I would start with java, but i will be taking AP computer Science at my school next year and i am supposed to be learning java then, and then the next year i will be taking honors java. with that said, do you still think i should learn java over the summer?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Chewey56 View Post
    I would start with java, but i will be taking AP computer Science at my school next year and i am supposed to be learning java then, and then the next year i will be taking honors java. with that said, do you still think i should learn java over the summer?
    It certainly doesn't hurt to have a head start. This gives you more time to learn Java and to practise writing code in Java. In particular when you're new to programming it's good to practise it as often as you can.

My experience is that those with prior programming experience always benefit in a programming course at school. The teacher can tell you everything about Java but that doesn't mean you know how to write a program when asked. That's something you need to practise.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast