Compiling Compiz From Git

Hi, I was following the instructions from
    here

but I ran into compiling errors at step 6 of compiling the Core:
    Code:
    [ 33%] Building CXX object src/CMakeFiles/compiz.dir/region.cpp.o
    In file included from 
    .../compiz/src/region.cpp:32:
    .../compiz/include/core/core.h:55: fatal error: glib.h: No such file or directory
    compilation terminated.
    make[2]: *** [src/CMakeFiles/compiz.dir/region.cpp.o] Error 1
    make[1]: *** [src/CMakeFiles/compiz.dir/all] Error 2
    make: *** [all] Error 2
    The file /usr/include/glib-2.0/glib.h does exist, so I think the command to gcc to compile region.cpp is not being passed the proper -I flag to include /usr/include/glib-2.0 in the include search path (and possibly an -L and -l flag to link in glib).

How do I fix this problem? I don't know CMake well enough to know what to look for in the CMakeLists.txt file, but I do know Makefiles. I am on Maverick, and I have all of the packages from sudo apt-get build-dep compiz installed. Thanks for your help.
    Last edited by Andruk Tatum; May 12th, 2011 at 05:19 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Compiling Compiz From Git

the dependency list on that page is not complete, it lack at least boost serialization and libgtkmm.
    But also installing these does not fix the glib.h failure.

A quick fix is to tell cmake yourself where to find the header:
    cmake ../ -DCMAKE_CXX_FLAGS="-g -O2 -I/usr/include/glib-2.0"

Beans

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MadCow108 View Post
    the dependency list on that page is not complete, it lack at least boost serialization and libgtkmm.
    But also installing these does not fix the glib.h failure.

A quick fix is to tell cmake yourself where to find the header:
    cmake ../ -DCMAKE_CXX_FLAGS="-g -O2 -I/usr/include/glib-2.0"
    Thanks for that - I used that and I got glibmm errors, so the cmake command I ended up using was
    Code:
    cmake ../ -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr/local/compiz -DCMAKE_CXX_FLAGS="`pkg-config --cflags glib-2.0` `pkg-config --cflags glibmm-2.4`"
    but now I'm getting errors like

Code:
    [  0%] Built target decoration
    [  6%] Built target gtk-window-decorator
    [  8%] Built target gnome-compiz
    [  8%] Built target kde4-window-decorator_automoc
    [ 12%] Built target kde4-window-decorator
    [ 31%] Built target nls
    [ 32%] Built target core-gconf-schema
    [ 33%] Built target core-xml-file
    Linking CXX executable compiz
    CMakeFiles/compiz.dir/timer.cpp.o: In function `CompTimeoutSource':
    .../Desktop/Compiz/compiz/src/timer.cpp:32: undefined reference to `Glib::Source::Source()'
    .../Desktop/Compiz/compiz/src/timer.cpp:40: undefined reference to `Glib::Source::set_priority(int)'
    .../Desktop/Compiz/compiz/src/timer.cpp:41: undefined reference to `Glib::Source::attach(Glib::RefPtr<Glib::MainContext> const&)'
    .../Desktop/Compiz/compiz/src/timer.cpp:42: undefined reference to `sigc::connection::~connection()'
    .../Desktop/Compiz/compiz/src/timer.cpp:43: undefined reference to `Glib::Source::~Source()'
    .../Desktop/Compiz/compiz/src/timer.cpp:32: undefined reference to `Glib::Source::Source()'
    .../Desktop/Compiz/compiz/src/timer.cpp:40: undefined reference to `Glib::Source::set_priority(int)'
    .../Desktop/Compiz/compiz/src/timer.cpp:41: undefined reference to `Glib::Source::attach(Glib::RefPtr<Glib::MainContext> const&)'
    .../Desktop/Compiz/compiz/src/timer.cpp:42: undefined reference to `sigc::connection::~connection()'
    .../Desktop/Compiz/compiz/src/timer.cpp:43: undefined reference to `Glib::Source::~Source()'
    CMakeFiles/compiz.dir/timer.cpp.o: In function `~CompTimeoutSource':
    .../Desktop/Compiz/compiz/src/timer.cpp:47: undefined reference to `Glib::Source::~Source()'
    .../Desktop/Compiz/compiz/src/timer.cpp:47: undefined reference to `Glib::Source::~Source()'
    CMakeFiles/compiz.dir/timer.cpp.o: In function `CompTimeoutSource::connect(sigc::slot<bool, sigc::nil, sigc::nil, sigc::nil, sigc::nil, sigc::nil, sigc::nil, sigc::nil> const&)':
    .../Desktop/Compiz/compiz/src/timer.cpp:52: undefined reference to `Glib::Source::connect_generic(sigc::slot_base const&)'
    CMakeFiles/compiz.dir/timer.cpp.o: In function `slot_rep':
    /usr/include/sigc++-2.0/sigc++/functors/slot_base.h:84: undefined reference to `sigc::trackable::trackable()'
    CMakeFiles/compiz.dir/timer.cpp.o: In function `~slot_rep':
    /usr/include/sigc++-2.0/sigc++/functors/slot_base.h:87: undefined reference to `sigc::trackable::~trackable()'
    /usr/include/sigc++-2.0/sigc++/functors/slot_base.h:87: undefined reference to `sigc::trackable::~trackable()'
    CMakeFiles/compiz.dir/timer.cpp.o: In function `~slot0':
    /usr/include/sigc++-2.0/sigc++/functors/slot.h:422: undefined reference to `sigc::slot_base::~slot_base()'
    CMakeFiles/compiz.dir/timer.cpp.o: In function `slot0<sigc::bound_mem_functor0<bool, CompTimeoutSource> >':
    /usr/include/sigc++-2.0/sigc++/functors/slot.h:451: undefined reference to `sigc::slot_base::slot_base(sigc::internal::slot_rep*)'
    CMakeFiles/compiz.dir/timer.cpp.o:(.rodata._ZTI17CompTimeoutSource[typeinfo for CompTimeoutSource]+0x8): undefined reference to `typeinfo for Glib::Source'
    CMakeFiles/compiz.dir/screen.cpp.o: In function `CompScreen::eventLoop()':
    .../Desktop/Compiz/compiz/src/screen.cpp:118: undefined reference to `Glib::MainContext::get_default()'
    .../Desktop/Compiz/compiz/src/screen.cpp:119: undefined reference to `Glib::MainLoop::create(Glib::RefPtr<Glib::MainContext> const&, bool)'
    .../Desktop/Compiz/compiz/src/screen.cpp:123: undefined reference to `Glib::Source::attach(Glib::RefPtr<Glib::MainContext> const&)'
    .../Desktop/Compiz/compiz/src/screen.cpp:126: undefined reference to `Glib::MainContext::iteration(bool)'
    .../Desktop/Compiz/compiz/src/screen.cpp:128: undefined reference to `Glib::MainLoop::run()'
    CMakeFiles/compiz.dir/screen.cpp.o: In function `CompWatchFd':
    .../Desktop/Compiz/compiz/src/screen.cpp:224: undefined reference to `Glib::IOSource::IOSource(int, Glib::IOCondition)'
    .../Desktop/Compiz/compiz/src/screen.cpp:227: undefined reference to `Glib::IOSource::connect(sigc::slot<bool, Glib::IOCondition, sigc::nil, sigc::nil, sigc::nil, sigc::nil, sigc::nil, sigc::nil> const&)'
    .../Desktop/Compiz/compiz/src/screen.cpp:227: undefined reference to `sigc::connection::~connection()'
    .../Desktop/Compiz/compiz/src/screen.cpp:228: undefined reference to `Glib::IOSource::~IOSource()'
    .../Desktop/Compiz/compiz/src/screen.cpp:224: undefined reference to `Glib::IOSource::IOSource(int, Glib::IOCondition)'
    .../Desktop/Compiz/compiz/src/screen.cpp:227: undefined reference to `Glib::IOSource::connect(sigc::slot<bool, Glib::IOCondition, sigc::nil, sigc::nil, sigc::nil, sigc::nil, sigc::nil, sigc::nil> const&)'
    .../Desktop/Compiz/compiz/src/screen.cpp:227: undefined reference to `sigc::connection::~connection()'
    .../Desktop/Compiz/compiz/src/screen.cpp:228: undefined reference to `Glib::IOSource::~IOSource()'
    CMakeFiles/compiz.dir/screen.cpp.o: In function `CompScreen::addWatchFd(int, short, boost::function<void ()(short)>)':
    .../Desktop/Compiz/compiz/src/screen.cpp:260: undefined reference to `Glib::Source::attach(Glib::RefPtr<Glib::MainContext> const&)'
    CMakeFiles/compiz.dir/screen.cpp.o: In function `~slot1':
    /usr/include/sigc++-2.0/sigc++/functors/slot.h:495: undefined reference to `sigc::slot_base::~slot_base()'
    CMakeFiles/compiz.dir/screen.cpp.o: In function `~RefPtr':
    /usr/include/glibmm-2.4/glibmm/refptr.h:184: undefined reference to `Glib::MainContext::unreference() const'
    /usr/include/glibmm-2.4/glibmm/refptr.h:184: undefined reference to `Glib::MainLoop::unreference() const'
    /usr/include/glibmm-2.4/glibmm/refptr.h:184: undefined reference to `Glib::Source::unreference() const'
    /usr/include/glibmm-2.4/glibmm/refptr.h:184: undefined reference to `Glib::Source::unreference() const'
    CMakeFiles/compiz.dir/screen.cpp.o: In function `RefPtr':
    /usr/include/glibmm-2.4/glibmm/refptr.h:199: undefined reference to `Glib::Source::reference() const'
    /usr/include/glibmm-2.4/glibmm/refptr.h:199: undefined reference to `Glib::MainContext::reference() const'
    /usr/include/glibmm-2.4/glibmm/refptr.h:199: undefined reference to `Glib::MainLoop::reference() const'
    /usr/include/glibmm-2.4/glibmm/refptr.h:199: undefined reference to `Glib::Source::reference() const'
    CMakeFiles/compiz.dir/screen.cpp.o: In function `slot1<sigc::bound_mem_functor1<bool, CompWatchFd, Glib::IOCondition> >':
    /usr/include/sigc++-2.0/sigc++/functors/slot.h:526: undefined reference to `sigc::slot_base::slot_base(sigc::internal::slot_rep*)'
    CMakeFiles/compiz.dir/screen.cpp.o:(.rodata._ZTV11CompWatchFd[vtable for CompWatchFd]+0x10): undefined reference to `Glib::IOSource::prepare(int&)'
    CMakeFiles/compiz.dir/screen.cpp.o:(.rodata._ZTV11CompWatchFd[vtable for CompWatchFd]+0x14): undefined reference to `Glib::IOSource::check()'
    CMakeFiles/compiz.dir/screen.cpp.o:(.rodata._ZTV11CompWatchFd[vtable for CompWatchFd]+0x18): undefined reference to `Glib::IOSource::dispatch(sigc::slot_base*)'
    CMakeFiles/compiz.dir/screen.cpp.o:(.rodata._ZTI11CompWatchFd[typeinfo for CompWatchFd]+0x8): undefined reference to `typeinfo for Glib::IOSource'
    CMakeFiles/compiz.dir/screen.cpp.o: In function `~CompWatchFd':
    .../Desktop/Compiz/compiz/src/privatescreen.h:52: undefined reference to `Glib::IOSource::~IOSource()'
    .../Desktop/Compiz/compiz/src/privatescreen.h:52: undefined reference to `Glib::IOSource::~IOSource()'
    CMakeFiles/compiz.dir/eventsource.cpp.o: In function `CompEventSource::connect(sigc::slot<bool, sigc::nil, sigc::nil, sigc::nil, sigc::nil, sigc::nil, sigc::nil, sigc::nil> const&)':
    .../Desktop/Compiz/compiz/src/eventsource.cpp:38: undefined reference to `Glib::Source::connect_generic(sigc::slot_base const&)'
    CMakeFiles/compiz.dir/eventsource.cpp.o: In function `CompEventSource':
    .../Desktop/Compiz/compiz/src/eventsource.cpp:44: undefined reference to `Glib::Source::Source()'
    .../Desktop/Compiz/compiz/src/eventsource.cpp:44: undefined reference to `Glib::PollFD::PollFD()'
    .../Desktop/Compiz/compiz/src/eventsource.cpp:49: undefined reference to `Glib::Source::set_priority(int)'
    .../Desktop/Compiz/compiz/src/eventsource.cpp:50: undefined reference to `Glib::Source::add_poll(Glib::PollFD&)'
    .../Desktop/Compiz/compiz/src/eventsource.cpp:51: undefined reference to `Glib::Source::set_can_recurse(bool)'
    .../Desktop/Compiz/compiz/src/eventsource.cpp:53: undefined reference to `sigc::connection::~connection()'
    .../Desktop/Compiz/compiz/src/eventsource.cpp:54: undefined reference to `Glib::Source::~Source()'
    .../Desktop/Compiz/compiz/src/eventsource.cpp:44: undefined reference to `Glib::Source::Source()'
    .../Desktop/Compiz/compiz/src/eventsource.cpp:44: undefined reference to `Glib::PollFD::PollFD()'
    .../Desktop/Compiz/compiz/src/eventsource.cpp:49: undefined reference to `Glib::Source::set_priority(int)'
    .../Desktop/Compiz/compiz/src/eventsource.cpp:50: undefined reference to `Glib::Source::add_poll(Glib::PollFD&)'
    .../Desktop/Compiz/compiz/src/eventsource.cpp:51: undefined reference to `Glib::Source::set_can_recurse(bool)'
    .../Desktop/Compiz/compiz/src/eventsource.cpp:53: undefined reference to `sigc::connection::~connection()'
    .../Desktop/Compiz/compiz/src/eventsource.cpp:54: undefined reference to `Glib::Source::~Source()'
    CMakeFiles/compiz.dir/eventsource.cpp.o: In function `~CompEventSource':
    .../Desktop/Compiz/compiz/src/eventsource.cpp:58: undefined reference to `Glib::Source::~Source()'
    .../Desktop/Compiz/compiz/src/eventsource.cpp:58: undefined reference to `Glib::Source::~Source()'
    CMakeFiles/compiz.dir/eventsource.cpp.o: In function `CompEventSource::callback()':
    .../Desktop/Compiz/compiz/src/eventsource.cpp:65: undefined reference to `Glib::MainLoop::quit()'
    CMakeFiles/compiz.dir/eventsource.cpp.o: In function `slot0<sigc::bound_mem_functor0<bool, CompEventSource> >':
    /usr/include/sigc++-2.0/sigc++/functors/slot.h:451: undefined reference to `sigc::slot_base::slot_base(sigc::internal::slot_rep*)'
    CMakeFiles/compiz.dir/eventsource.cpp.o:(.rodata._ZTI15CompEventSource[typeinfo for CompEventSource]+0x8): undefined reference to `typeinfo for Glib::Source'
    collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
    make[2]: *** [src/compiz] Error 1
    make[1]: *** [src/CMakeFiles/compiz.dir/all] Error 2
    make: *** [all] Error 2
    How do I fix those errors?

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Andruk Tatum View Post
    How do I fix those errors?
    -DCMAKE_CXX_FLAGS="`pkg-config --libs --cflags glib-2.0 glibmm-2.4`

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I found a fix I think.
    You do not have to add the flags you mentioned, all you need to do is install libgtkmm-2.4-dev
    Last edited by PhosPhoton; June 8th, 2011 at 12:57 AM. Reason: Found a fix now :)
    Chuck uses Ubuntu