Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: share usb drive (ntfs) via samba

Beans

share usb drive (ntfs) via samba

Hi guys. I finally have my ubuntu up and running.

I have a USB-drive which is often connected to my ubuntu-machine. I want to share this via Samba but I can't set the user-rights. If I try to acces the file (via windows machine) I can see the directory but if I open it it gives me: \\Computer\media\directory is not accesible. You might not have permission to use this network resource.

I tried setting the rights but it just 'changes back immediately'. I found some posts about not being able to set rights via ubuntu on a ntfs disk.

If I mount it via fstab it will give an error when the USB-drive is not connected. So that's no option.

Is there a way to share this drive via my Samba server?
    Oh, by the way. I did get acces to a partition on my linux-machine, to I assume my samba-settings are correct.
    Please help this ubuntu-newbie.

Beans

Re: share usb drive (ntfs) via samba

The external ntfs drive will mount with you as owner and with permissions for only you to access it. To fix that make the remote user look like you:

Add the following line to your smb.conf file:
    Code:
    force user = your-user-name
    Where you put that line depends on what method of samba sharing you used. If you used usershare ( from Nautilus ) then put it in the [global] section. If you used the classical method then add it to the share definition itself within smb.conf.

Beans

Morbius1 your great. That did it!
    I've been trying and trying for days.
    Thanks a lot.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Morbius1 View Post
    The external ntfs drive will mount with you as owner and with permissions for only you to access it. To fix that make the remote user look like you:

Code:
    Where you put that line depends on what method of samba sharing you used. If you used usershare ( from Nautilus ) then put it in the [global] section. If you used the classical method then add it to the share definition itself within smb.conf.
    Thankyou!
    after many hours trying to resolve this, finally!! this worked.

I found this is only necessary when sharing content on ntfs volumes (ie. windows drives)

Beans

Talking Re: share usb drive (ntfs) via samba

So fact that the NTFS file system is on a USB device makes a difference. I have been puzzled about this for a day.

Thank you

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Code:
    Thanks, you are the MAN!
    How do you sudo?

Beans

Lightbulb Re: share usb drive (ntfs) via samba

Thank you

Beans

Thanks!

Worked perfectly. I also struggled for two days....but learned a lot.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Code:
    Thanks. I think you already know that you helped a lot of users out there, but I am sure you still like to hear from them...so, again:

Thanks a lot!
    Intel i5 6500 | MSI z170a Gaming M5 | Corsair Vengence LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2400 | MSI GTX 970 gaming 4G | Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf / Windows 7

http://ubuntutechnical.wordpress.com/

Beans

Forgive me for being a complete moron when it comes to ubuntu, but I can't seem to edit the smb.conf file by opening it via the file menu.

Can anyone offer me step by step instructions on how to do allow other computers on my network to share my USB NTFS drives? I'm using Ubuntu 11.04 (classic desktop).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast