Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: XML Parsing Error when Downgrading from Firefox 4.0

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: XML Parsing Error when Downgrading from Firefox 4.0

Quote Originally Posted by ninjasinloaf View Post
    I fixed the animations by changing browser.tabs.animate to False in the about:config page.
    Indeed that turns off the animation, but it is so discrete that I can barely see the difference. Do yours animate more than the video above?

I can't imagine that PPA repository was important -- when I googled it it was just fore firefox and inkscape and some other things I've never heard of. So it was certainly the culprit!

I got 3.6 going again (thankyouthankyouthankyou!) but now I can't seem to put all my preferences back in. It doesn't like when I just copy/paste the folder. And when I try to open the profile manager (in usr/lib/firefox) as another set of instructions showed me, I get nothing.

So much heartache! If I do decide to go back and modify Firefox 4 at some point, will I be able to change all the download manager stuff too? I don't care for any of the popups.

Thank you gain for your help. I appreciate your time today.
    To open the profile manager, CLOSE Firefox and run the following in a terminal:

Code:
    firefox -P
    Which folder are you trying to copy?

What do you mean by "all download manager stuff"?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Yes, I noticed those animations. Even the ones in your video were quite dramatic to me.

When downloading in Firefox 4, a small popup would appear in the lower right hand corner of the screen to tell me what was being downloaded. Also, at another point when it was asking me confirmation to allow or disallow permission (I forget what for, I've clicked a lot of things today) a rather unsightly popup came in the top center of the window with a drop-down box for options of allow or don't allow. I did not fancy that at all.

I found the backup copy of my bookmarks and imported that through the bookmarks folder. Then I found prefs.js and typed them all into about:config one-by-one to get all my settings back, but the firefox -P is good to know. I was following some instructions that were sending me to usr/lib/firefox and there wasn't anything there.

I can't figure out how to insert an image in here without it being a URL, but for the Firefox 4 privacy settings, I had gone to Edit->Preferences->Privacy and set the first dropdown box to "Never remember history" and the second to "When using the location bar, suggest: Nothing" and then did "clear all current history". It still retained recently visited links in the History menu. Was there something else I should've set?

Beans
    Distro

I found the backup copy of my bookmarks and imported that through the bookmarks folder. Then I found prefs.js and typed them all into about:config one-by-one to get all my settings back, but the firefox -P is good to know. I was following some instructions that were sending me to usr/lib/firefox and there wasn't anything there.
    You don't need to type all prefs manually, just copy prefs.js to the new profile.

I can't figure out how to insert an image in here without it being a URL, but for the Firefox 4 privacy settings, I had gone to Edit->Preferences->Privacy and set the first dropdown box to "Never remember history" and the second to "When using the location bar, suggest: Nothing" and then did "clear all current history". It still retained recently visited links in the History menu. Was there something else I should've set?

You are doing it right. It shouldn't be saving any bookmarks in History.

Try to delete the file permissions.sqlite from your profile and check if that solves the problem. You need to close Firefox before deleting profile files.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

If I could mark this thread as double-solved I would. Thank you for your help today.

Beans
    Distro

If I could mark this thread as double-solved I would. Thank you for your help today.
    You are welcome.

Beans
    Hidden!

A thousand Internets. I downgraded from 4 back to 3.6 via removing the MZ repo and then using Synaptic "force version" back to the Canonical stable. But I still had this problem. Apparently I needed to remove it first -- which I was afraid to do because I didn't want to risk losing my profile data. But all was well. Thanks for the solution!

I just have one bone to pick with something that was said:

Quote Originally Posted by Joe of loath View Post
    What's the problem with Firefox 4 exactly? You can make the two look alike, all the addons are compatible, and FF4 is faster and lighter.
    All the addons are compatible? Huh? What? Pretty much all my addons were disabled after FF4 upgrade, and no updated versions available. Since I use these addons in my work, I depend on them heavily. That's why I needed to downgrade. So I don't know where you got that from but it's not my experience.

Beans

The only addon I've found that isn't compatible is the Ubuntu modifications pack in 10.04 and 10.10. If anything isn't compatible, it usually means the author has abandoned it, so you'll need to find a replacement at some point.
    There's no place like ~/

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe of loath View Post
    If anything isn't compatible, it usually means the author has abandoned it, so you'll need to find a replacement at some point.
    That's not at all true.

You know when the latest version of Putty was made? 2007. Yet it's still the standard for Windows SSH clients.

FF4 was released in March. It's not even June.

I'm tired of the forced obsolescence provided by new FF major versions completely nuking my browser work environment. Every single time...

It'd be like installing a new version of Ubuntu and having it completely nuke your desktop and panel configuration.

(Oh, wait...! That did happen! )

Beans

It's not exactly forced, if you change the way the browser works, you can't expect everything to carry on working properly.
    There's no place like ~/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12