Thread: Missing icon in Unity launcher "Label Empty"

Beans

Missing icon in Unity launcher "Label Empty"

I just upgraded to Natty 11.04 and am getting used to the Unity Launcher. I was trying to add a terminal to the launcher and I'm not sure what I did but now if I copy the icon from nautilus "/usr/share/applications" over to the launcher it creates a blank space like the icon is missing but if you scroll over it and right click you see Label Empty / Keep in Launcher.

The weird thing is that if I create a link to terminal in /usr/share/applications and drag the link over to the launcher it appears as it should.

Anybody else experience this?

Beans

Re: Missing icon in Unity launcher "Label Empty"

me too! And: we're not the only ones....Lots of bug reports on the net about this... Anybody have a clue as to where the problem may lie or better have a fix?

TIA!
    "Umuntu ngumuntu ngabanye bantu" - Xhosa saying.
    (People are people because of other people)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Missing icon in Unity launcher "Label Empty"

I think the normal way to add an icon, a program to the Launcher is to open the program then right-click the icon showing now in the Launcher and then click 'Keep in Launcher". That's it!

Hope this works for you.
    Regards, frank, at http://yantrayoga.typepad.com/noname/
    Homebuilt Lian-Li PC-Q33WB, Intel i7-4790K 4.6GHz, SSDs,16G RAM | Dell Laptop 11.6" N3050.
    Oracle VBox w/ WinXP/Win8 running Xara Designer, PaintShopPro, and InDesign CS.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Cool Re: Missing icon in Unity launcher "Label Empty"

Yeah, we're getting hosed here.

Dragging custom app launchers from the /.local/share/applications window works - kind of...

The problem is that I lose the icon I created and get a standard crappy springboard icon... :

Screenshot Crop.png

I don't want to hex edit my kernel resource fork or anything similarly complex to fix this problem. Any simple fixes here?