Thread: Dissappointed

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Dissappointed

In the past I have installed two versions of U on two different, older PCs. Soo I'm not totally stupid, yet I cannot get the newest U install, even using wubi.

My laptop is a newer acer aspire 5336-2524, what the heck is going on here?

wubi seems to be installing but then after a long time there is nothing, a blank screen, I do it the choice screen to choose Win 7 or U, I can get back to W7 but U repeats the nothing.

I had hoped after all this time U worked better than this!?

I really don't wish to exert much more effort to install what should be a slam dunk install.

Any knowledgeable folks who can get this kick started?

I do not know much else and cannot dig deep into OS's to make it work if you know what I mean, I'm not a programmer and don't wish to become one. Not that there is anything work with that, just not me.

Beans

Re: Dissappointed

Why are you using wubi? Are you a light Ubuntu user and wish to retain the ability to remove it though Windows?

I understand your frustration, but I don't think this should be too difficult to get going. Did you install 32 or 64 bit?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by saegeoff View Post
    Why are you using wubi? Are you a light Ubuntu user and wish to retain the ability to remove it though Windows?

I understand your frustration, but I don't think this should be too difficult to get going. Did you install 32 or 64 bit?

I suppose I'm a light user, for years I have tried to go total Ubuntu but issues always pop up. Now that I'm using more of the "Cloud" and saw a new version, well, figured to try one more time.
    32 bit, which do you recommend? My machine is a 64 bit. I'll re-download and try again. I honestly didn't figure an acer laptop would not be supported by Ubuntu. Also, I found a thread that seems to show a fix but it looks as if it is for a non-wubi install, perhaps not, but I don't know enough about linux to understand the instruction terminology. (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1743301)

I really want this to work! I hope to find someone with some patience and experience with this exact situation to avoid a large amount of experimentation. Just want to get ubuntu up and running.

Regards, Michael
    Last edited by mawil1013; May 14th, 2011 at 06:53 PM. Reason: New Info, 32 bit on a 64 bit machine

Beans

I am also very disappointed with U 11.04, I have 6 machines running Ubuntu and 1 with wubi. I have 5-6 years of experience with Ubuntu.

But the introduction of Unity is a disaster for me. Many of the things I did with Gnome are messy in Unity. I cannot run Crossover, for example, which runs nice from "Classical Ubuntu" in the same machine, some of the icons in Unity are just a gray space with a question mark. And to make things worse in one of the machines with an nVidia Quatro 500 card the driver (173) doesn't work neither on Unity nor on "Classic Ubuntu". I am froced to use the "experimental" open driver which is just barely acceptable, and under which some applications (Ghemical, for example) do not work. The Wine Windows emulation is also faulty under 11.04, many applications that worked nice now do not work or crash (Astrolog 5.4, for example).

Running on "Classic Ubuntu" is no solution either, it is not "Classic" it is "Crippled Ubuntu", just try Compiz, none of the old features (cube cube rotation using a mouse or active window selection) work anymore and old bugs persist (need to reload the windows manager which randomly collapses for example).

All this seems a dictatorial way to force a shift to Unity which I very much resent. Prehaps is time to quit Ubuntu for good.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by csevcik View Post
    I am also very disappointed with U 11.04, I have 6 machines running Ubuntu and 1 with wubi. I have 5-6 years of experience with Ubuntu.

But the introduction of Unity is a disaster for me. Many of the things I did with Gnome are messy in Unity. I cannot run Crossover, for example, which runs nice from "Classical Ubuntu" in the same machine, some of the icons in Unity are just a gray space with a question mark. And to make things worse in one of the machines with an nVidia Quatro 500 card the driver (173) doesn't work neither on Unity nor on "Classic Ubuntu". I am froced to use the "experimental" open driver which is just barely acceptable, and under which some applications (Ghemical, for example) do not work. The Wine Windows emulation is also faulty under 11.04, many applications that worked nice now do not work or crash (Astrolog 5.4, for example).

Running on "Classic Ubuntu" is no solution either, it is not "Classic" it is "Crippled Ubuntu", just try Compiz, none of the old features (cube cube rotation using a mouse or active window selection) work anymore and old bugs persist (need to reload the windows manager which randomly collapses for example).

All this seems a dictatorial way to force a shift to Unity which I very much resent. Prehaps is time to quit Ubuntu for good.
    I'm sorry your having issues also, please don't get me wrong, I don't wish to turn this into an anti-Ubuntu thread. I really hope to get a current version running through wubi. I hope my issue is simply that a screen brightness command can make it work on my acer. Good luck to you, hope you can get your stuff working too.

Beans

I have been a Ubuntu evangelist for years. But I am disappointed now, thus my complain about upgrading to 11.04. Hope somebody at Canonical reads this and does something!!