Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: gNatty Gnome Live ISO

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Question gNatty Gnome Live ISO

With the release of 11.10 & the inclusion of gnome-shell in the official repos gNatty has outlived it's usefulness.

This project is dead, torrents removed from linuxtracker.org

Don't know about the rest of you but I learned a lot doing this. * 30 Dec 2011

If you found this thread as a result of Andrew's article on Webupd8, thanks for checking it out & welcome to the project. Please re-seed since that is the only current distribution method. If anyone has a site to host it for reliable direct downloading that would be great too.

For maximum stability I also recommend that you disable ricotz/testing ppa immediately after installation. If you like to tweak things until they break I recommend frequent backups, I like Clonezilla.

Recent updates may have broken a couple extensions, if you are unable to login to your Gnome 3.0 shell desktop I recommend that you download the most recent gNatty Extensions, link is near bottom of this post. (Make note of your weather settings if you replace that extension) I have made some modifications to a couple of them so they no longer seem to cause a problem & continue to cooperate with each other. * 29 June 2011

Screenshot.jpg

32-bit version released 22 June 2011, gNatty Gnome i686 v3.1 Live
    64-bit version released 16 June 2011, gNatty Gnome amd64 v3 Live
    (Download links at bottom of this post)

Overview:

This is a basic, stock Ubuntu 11.04 installation & live iso with the inclusion of the latest Gnome 3.0 packages constructed with UCK. It is based on the UGR (Ubuntu Gnome Remix) project, with the addition of the rictotz/testing ppa and comes with themes & extensions to be installed by the user. Despite what some people think, Gnome 3.0 shell & Unity can coexist in the same installation.

Installation Tips:
    Attempting to update a previous version of Ubuntu is not recommended, this should be used as a new installation. (Pretty standard disclaimer)

1. If you have problems loading try selecting f6 from the grub screen and select nomodeset.

2. Read & follow the Installation Notes.

3. If everything installed ok you should now have the option of selecting between Ubuntu GNOME Shell (Gnome), Classic Gnome w/o effects, Classic Gnome, & Ubuntu (Unity).

General Notes:

Please be as generous as possible seeding this file, my connection is painfully slow so it needs all the help it can get.

Feel free to ask any question you want.

The recipe:

The majority of the formula comes from the UGR (Ubuntu Gnome Remix) Project so I'll point you to their website for instructions, my only real change, other than activating a couple optional repositories is to add this PPA: sudo apt-add-repository ppa:ricotz/testing before the updating & upgrading.

Ubuntu Gnome Remix (UGR) Project installation instructions

Let's have fun!

Index of useful posts:

Can I boot from USB stick? - Post #23
    Error message on boot in Live Session - Post #32
    Restore gdm as default login - Post #33
    Thumbnail of default gNatty Live Session - Post #36
    View of Gnome shell fallback mode - Post #44
    Tips for initial installation - Post #46
    Possible causes for installation failure - Post #50
    Introduced gNatty Pack - Post #64
    Removing Nvidia driver after gNatty installation - Post #67
    Using nomodeset on boot - Post #72
    Direct download link - Post #74
    Installing clone of gNatty on system with RAID array - Post #89
    Explanation/description of extensions in gNatty Pack - Post #782
    Good format for requesting help - #484
    (work in progress)

Download links:

Deleted links, removed torrents from linuxtracker.org * 30 Dec 2011

Link to F.P. Murphy's extension repository
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by cbowman57; December 30th, 2011 at 08:27 PM. Reason: Retired torrents

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: gNatty Gnome Live ISO

Man, you rock!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by philnice View Post
    Man, you rock!
    Thanks, hopefully it will run as well for everybody else as it seems to be running for me.

Beans
    Distro

Yea hope that too. And i also hope to see some seeders!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by philnice View Post
    Yea hope that too. And i also hope to see some seeders!
    Me too.

I think I'm going to make some calls this week and see if I can get an internet provider that doesn't throttle my connection. I'm doing what I can to get a complete iso out in the wild but my connection is killing me tonight.
    Last edited by cbowman57; July 21st, 2011 at 05:57 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Ok, since you do all the hard work, i'll keep it on as long as my pc is on. I'll be online for the next 4 hours surely. Else, if needed, i have two accounts (rapidshare and fileshare) so i could drop it in there as well. Edit: 4shared is the second (and the right) one.
    Last edited by philnice; May 10th, 2011 at 03:01 AM.

Beans

by updating the metadata.json on my extensions, they are all working again, except the pidgin notification plugin by kagesensei. In tweak it's showing "error loading extension"

Any ideas?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by munkymac View Post
    by updating the metadata.json on my extensions, they are all working again, except the pidgin notification plugin by kagesensei. In tweak it's showing "error loading extension"

Any ideas?
    I'm assuming you updated to gnome shell 3.1.3? I don't use that one so I really don't know. Can you do a screen capture of looking glass with the error tab clicked? It's probably like the right hot corner extension and it's making a call to something that no longer exists, or was renamed. I'm hoping that a solution can be found for the rhc extension and the solution might apply to yours as well.

Beans

Okay, here's the screenshot. Obviously I'm in this mess because i left the ricotz/testing ppa enabled. Now I'm greeted with a Partial Upgrade notice every time Update Manager pops up. Should I wait until the Partial Upgrade problem works itself out before disabling ricotz?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Hi first of all thanks for nice this effort. Been trying to get the GNOME 3 working on my system for long time but no luck at all!
    Installed gNatty Gnome Live ISO v3.1 on my Toshiba Satllite-A200, Intel Centrino-Duo, 2GB Ram, nVIDIA Go7300 graphics( where the main problem is). Burnt the iso on a usb stick, Couldn't get GNOME 3 session on Live mode. So installed it on another usb stick(16GB), logged into gnome classic(as GNOME 3 wouldn't work on installed system either), installed NVIDIA-Linux-x86-275.09.07 rebooted system, tried to logged into GNOME 3, Got the desktop with all the extensions, can move the cursor using touchpad BUT CANNOT CLICK ON ANYTHING!! No respons from the desktop from anywhere. I can get to the another terminal using ctrl+alt+F2 that mean keyboard and mouse( as I can move the cursor) are functional.
    Has anyone had the same issue?
    Any help with that please??
    My Xorg and nvidia is running ok, I can run Gnome classic with no problem.
    Right now running system update, hoping it would fix something
    Cheers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast