Page 50 of 177 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260100150 ... LastLast

Thread: gNatty Gnome Live ISO

Beans

Re: gNatty Gnome Live ISO

@aeronutt
    You are very welcome ....

I have just got the 4 systems working now together and they are sweet ..... even if I do say so myself ..... -- KDE is a biggy and I am wondering if I will cause more problems by
    adding it ..... am going to burn it off at this stage ......

Enlightenment

LXDE

UNITY

GNOME-SHELL

Will do some screenshots its fully uptodate .... and the only thing I noticed as I ran
    the remastersys ..... it did something like a distribution upgrade .... at a guess ....

Wonder why ?

As this step I noticed it removed the Ubiquity-frontend-gtk .......

just been on the remastersys site and someone has already commented on this ........

This is so annoying ...... the install has now got no install option !!!!

Anyone know how I can stop it removing it .......

http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy-upd...y-frontend-gtk

Last night I had a complete version fully working - but the disk was produced differently
    ( now I know why ) I can understand a update ...... and aptitude safe-upgrade as I do this

But it did something else ...... as mine was fully uptodate .......

I will stop the process and do it again once I find a solution to it ...........

Unless putting it out as a live cd without the install option is a better way .....
    while we are testing this ...... what are other peoples thoughts on this .....

It will be ready to go in hour .... or so if I do not stop it ...........
    (but its not going to have the install as a option .... will just go into live mode as it stands)
    Last edited by 23dornot23d; May 16th, 2011 at 03:41 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by aeronutt View Post
    Thanks for the help and ideas, I'll try that!! And I think we all appreciate what your doing here with Natty and G3. I'm really finding myself liking G3 quite a bit more than Unity, and I gave Unity a few weeks to grow on me.
    You're welcome, and that pretty much mirrors my experience with Unity. I could make it work & look good but it just never felt quite "right" to me. G3 shell OTOH just feels good to me.

We're not trying to mystify what we're doing here and just want people to have alternatives. I haven't been this enthusiastic about being a linux enthusiast for a long time.

One other thing I forgot to mention in the last post. I think I may also have a PPA active for Unity packages so if you go the ppa-purge route consider that one as a potential problem too.
    Last edited by cbowman57; May 16th, 2011 at 03:42 PM. Reason: Unity ppa info

Beans
    Distro

@23dornot23d; I think it's an underlying Ubuntu bug, I tried to lock a file version in Synaptic the other day but as soon as I ran an update it upgraded anyway.

You may have already told me this but have you tried UCK on the backup.iso? If it works you can add ubuiquity back in, though there might be more to getting the Installation app back than that.

Also, sounds like you have a working PPA for Remastersys, could you post that please?
    Last edited by cbowman57; May 16th, 2011 at 03:45 PM.

Beans

ok done creating the ISO .....

I am running this from the DVD and in KDE .....

Whatever the last stage Remastersys did ..... maybe a dist-upgrade .... who knows

but KDE runs ok noticed two more buttons top left too ...... what are they ?

Ok pressed one and at the bottom of the screen we get an overlay ..... for Digg SU etc
    and a menu including changing the screen opacity .... ok like it .....

Now to see if LXDE works too ...........
    Last edited by 23dornot23d; May 16th, 2011 at 05:06 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 23dornot23d View Post
    @aeronutt
    You are very welcome ....

I have just got the 4 systems working now together and they are sweet ..... even if I do say so myself ..... -- KDE is a biggy and I am wondering if I will cause more problems by
    adding it ..... am going to burn it off at this stage ......

Enlightenment

LXDE

UNITY

GNOME-SHELL

Will do some screenshots its fully uptodate .... and the only thing I noticed as I ran
    the remastersys ..... it did something like a distribution upgrade .... at a guess ....

Wonder why ?

As this step I noticed it removed the Ubiquity-frontend-gtk .......

just been on the remastersys site and someone has already commented on this ........

This is so annoying ...... the install has now got no install option !!!!

Anyone know how I can stop it removing it .......

http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy-upd...y-frontend-gtk

Last night I had a complete version fully working - but the disk was produced differently
    ( now I know why ) I can understand a update ...... and aptitude safe-upgrade as I do this

But it did something else ...... as mine was fully uptodate .......

I will stop the process and do it again once I find a solution to it ...........

Unless putting it out as a live cd without the install option is a better way .....
    while we are testing this ...... what are other peoples thoughts on this .....

It will be ready to go in hour .... or so if I do not stop it ...........
    (but its not going to have the install as a option .... will just go into live mode as it stands)
    This guy thinks it has something to do with the Janvitus PPA.
    Ryzen 7 5800X / Alpenfohn Gletschewasser 280 / Gigabyte X570S Aero G / 32GB 4000MHz C16 Team Group X-treem /
    Gigabyte RTX4080 Aero OC / 1TB Samsung 970 Evo / Asus Loki 1kW / Lian-Li O11D Mini / Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo / Win11 / Kubuntu 23.04

Beans
    Distro

UGR News

Just saw that Ubuntu Gnome Remix has been granted sub-forum status in the "Other OS" category. I couldn't find a link yet but will post it when it pops up.

*Update* UGR doesn't want to be lumped in "Other OS", they are going to lobby for a spot in the Ubuntu category.
    Last edited by cbowman57; May 16th, 2011 at 10:01 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by IanW View Post
    This guy thinks it has something to do with the Janvitus PPA.
    Cheers for the information .... not that in our case - we do not use this one ...... ty

Just saw that Ubuntu Gnome Remix has been granted sub-forum status in the "Other OS" category. I couldn't find a link yet but will post it when it pops up.
    A big rectangle is left in the center of the screen from

Choosing other login ....... in gdm login .... a rectangle is left behind
    kdm login is fine though ...

I noticed people complaining there was a dead area in UNITY ...... this will be why
    By the way the rectangle does not appear if you auto-login ......
    ( problem with login display script for other .... )

I have just reinstalled the packages for ubiquity ..... will now look on remastersys site to
    see if the upgrade can be switched off .....

Interesting page ..... a few other problems explained not sure if its upto date though ...
    still looking ....

Ok remastersys is ok this time ......
    I have loaded the newest version of ubiquity-frontend -gtk
    it did not touch it this time and realised that the one installed was the latest version

The one now is a gdm login ....... we have KDE - LXDE - E17 - Gnome Shell .....

( If the Dvd works as I want it to .... I did install Unity too ... and compizconfig-settings-manager )

Problem again .... only when the Dvd is running ..... and it appears as if its one of the
    extensions ....
    Using two users one logs in fine the other does not ....

cannot use gdm as I get the rectangle ....
    cannot use kdm as I only have the choice of one user ......

one option left ..... ldm ......
    Last edited by 23dornot23d; May 16th, 2011 at 11:58 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by aeronutt View Post
    Getting the same error after logging in as before:
    "XSession arguments unsupported (2); falling back to default session" (or something like that).
    Sorry for bringing this back in, i need to be sure. When you get that message, booting the system on which gnatty is installed on a separate partition on your hard disk, (again, correct me if i miss something), when you get the message quoted above, you should be able to continue when you hit ok to that message, right? Now, where you are in fallback mode - obviously - , have you tried to run from terminal, sudo dpkg-reconfigure gdm and select gdm from there?
    If so, what happened after the next reboot?
    You should probably be able to login normally after that step and, a reboot.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

@Chuck, and to others also: There is plenty of information on these two pages especially after 23ornot23 entries.
    I think, we should try and gather some information from testers, about problems with the graphics, and so on. After, we could update the first post or, make links to the posts, with workarounds.
    I think this is the first thing that one would seek coming in.
    My opinion though.

Beans

Here is a problem .... seems to be with a js file ..... but not seen it on my hard drive version
    This pops up from the LiveCD mode only
    I will go through this and reduce my threads too ...... in here to make it more compact.

Page 50 of 177 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260100150 ... LastLast