Page 91 of 177 FirstFirst ... 41818990919293101141 ... LastLast

Thread: gNatty Gnome Live ISO

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Bottom Panel

Haven't tried it yet, just downloaded it but Ron Yorston has created an extension that approximates the bottom gnome panel.

http://intgat.tigress.co.uk/rmy/extensions/index.html

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: gNatty Gnome Live ISO

@cbowman,
    Can you supply some links where I can find more info?
    About UCK for instance and Remastersys,I can google it,but I want to read the same things you did,so we understand were we talk about
    I have to say English isn't my native language so maybe you have to clarify things when I don't understand it completely.

About the gnatty-pack,what is your intention with it?
    You want to keep it up to date or is there more to it.
    I understand most of the extensions come from Fedora and pmurphy and you made them work for ubuntu if necessary.

My opinion would be just to deliver the ones that are useful for most people,like the alternate user-menu,theme-selector and maybe one or two more.
    But not to extended it too much,if people want more extensions,they can ask,and we can see if we can make it work.

Afterall,if you install Natty or any ubuntu,you won't get a working Conky or other eye candy with it,so let's keep things simple and workable,without too much time consuming extra's.

But I'm only trying to think with you,not demanding anything!
    Resistance is futile.....you will be assimilated!

Registered Linux User 418427.
    #Ubuntu User 3226#

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Bottom Panel

Quote Originally Posted by cbowman57 View Post
    Haven't tried it yet, just downloaded it but Ron Yorston has created an extension that approximates the bottom gnome panel.

http://intgat.tigress.co.uk/rmy/extensions/index.html
    This line worries me the most

The extensions hook into the very core of the GNOME shell. It's almost inevitable that future changes to the shell will break them and that they'll be incompatible with other extensions. In particular, the Shut Down menu extension is incompatible with alternative-status-menu in gnome-shell-extensions

I think most people won't know this,and if any extension stop working,they will come to the forum asking why.
    You'll be busy all day answering their questions and provide solutions.

I'll stick with my opinion to NOT include that many extensions for now.
    Just the proven ones that doesn't conflict with eachother and let people decide by themselves if they want to explore other ones and risk breakage.

BTW,I downgraded the gnome-themes-standard from ricotz ppa into the natty ones,and the pink lines are gone and the themes look as they should be.

Have the ISO in,will install this afternoon [11.11 AM overhere]
    Seeding is above the one ratio and continuing
    Last edited by bulldog; June 4th, 2011 at 10:12 AM.

#Ubuntu User 3226#

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
    This line worries me the most

The extensions hook into the very core of the GNOME shell. It's almost inevitable that future changes to the shell will break them and that they'll be incompatible with other extensions. In particular, the Shut Down menu extension is incompatible with alternative-status-menu in gnome-shell-extensions

I think most people won't know this,and if any extension stop working,they will come to the forum asking why.
    You'll be busy all day answering their questions and provide solutions.

I'll stick with my opinion to NOT include that many extensions for now.
    Just the proven ones that doesn't conflict with eachother and let people decide by themselves if they want to explore other ones and risk breakage.
    Yes, future changes could break them but that can be said for any other application. The programmers will keep pace or someone will move in & fill the void.

You are probably right about trying to troubleshoot extension problems, that's why I have been selective in what I included, mostly staying with things that will help people make the transition from Gnome 2.32. Selecting what is appropriate to include is a good topic for discussion. For now I've frozen the gNatty Pack because otherwise it would consume all my time trying to keep up with them. My philosophy on them was that without them people would pass on Gnome 3.0 without giving it a fair trial. So they will either stay with a generic gnome shell, or they will inevitably find them on their own and the search for solutions will either lead them elsewhere or lead them here. For now I think I prefer people come here for answers, keeps me from trying to troubleshoot in dozens of new threads.

I've already tweaked that panel extension a bit, this is how it looks. It also makes a fantastic substitute for the missing minimize button, even though we know that can be turned on with gnome-tweak-tool.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro

BTW,I downgraded the gnome-themes-standard from ricotz ppa into the natty ones,and the pink lines are gone and the themes look as they should be.

Have the ISO in,will install this afternoon [11.11 AM overhere]
    Seeding is above the one ratio and continuing
    Yeah, me too, those pink lines have been driving me nuts for weeks, which is why I initially used the dark Adwaita gtk-3.0 theme.

Glad you finally got the iso, curious to see how it goes on other systems.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by cbowman57 View Post
    Yeah, me too, those pink lines have been driving me nuts for weeks, which is why I initially used the dark Adwaita gtk-3.0 theme.

Glad you finally got the iso, curious to see how it goes on other systems.
    In a few hours we'll know if it works
    I am confident and know my computer,I would put it on the laptop,but I changed my mind.
    I put it on this desktop,it's much faster and has a nvidia graphics.

Now off to get some food in the house,will be back in about eight hours and hope to give you the first results.

#Ubuntu User 3226#

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
    @cbowman,
    Can you supply some links where I can find more info?
    About UCK for instance and Remastersys,I can google it,but I want to read the same things you did,so we understand were we talk about
    I have to say English isn't my native language so maybe you have to clarify things when I don't understand it completely.

About the gnatty-pack,what is your intention with it?
    You want to keep it up to date or is there more to it.
    I understand most of the extensions come from Fedora and pmurphy and you made them work for ubuntu if necessary.

My opinion would be just to deliver the ones that are useful for most people,like the alternate user-menu,theme-selector and maybe one or two more.
    But not to extended it too much,if people want more extensions,they can ask,and we can see if we can make it work.

Afterall,if you install Natty or any ubuntu,you won't get a working Conky or other eye candy with it,so let's keep things simple and workable,without too much time consuming extra's.

But I'm only trying to think with you,not demanding anything!
    Here's the link to the Remastersys page http://www.geekconnection.org/remastersys/ubuntu.html Basically it just allows you to make an installable version of your system, either a distro copy that doesn't contain any of your user information, or a backup that retains all your personalizations & customizations. Very handy software, I've been using it for years.

UCK is the Ubuntu Customization Kit, available from the Ubuntu repos. It allows you to go into an original ubuntu iso and add or subtract things using synaptic or a terminal, as well as being able to go into the file system and make changes or add/subtract files. sudo apt-get install uck will get & install it.

You make a good point about extensions being similar to conky. Some of the other distros have forums where using & customizing it have heavy traffic. I'm really not sure that any support pertaining to a distro emphasizing the use of gnome shell can avoid getting involved with them. However, what is included in the gNatty Pack can be managed.

Beans

Looking good ...... very professional startup ..... Daniel Sandman has done some great work
    on creating the Logo and the UGR team
    (J.Huice - E.Brunzell etc ... and of course all the GNOME 3

Team and the Ubuntu forums for giving this a place to develop)

My thoughts are that the people here work well together as a team and now with the inclusion of CBowman this can only get better.

The Download of this was around 1 Mb /sec today ...... so very good indeed ..... and the download was a lot different from our first attempts (12 hours +) its now downloaded and burnt to disk in an hour and now installing
    ( will put it back up on transmission once I have it installed - 5 peers last time I looked though and good speeds as I said ) .

Looking forward to using this now ..... the DVD booted in first time as said with a whoops face
    second time straight in at fallback mode ...... ( just press the unlock key no password needed as far as I can see )

Now I am installing it and will load the drivers and follow the instructions in the readme .....
    to get it up and running and will let you know how it goes .....
    ( update - got problems - installed ok .... and Current Nvidia graphics drivers are now loaded in ...... but
    not going into shell - have managed to get into UNITY though ok so working from there at the moment )

This error is happening on every updated version I have now though and in Oneiric too - anybody know a solution to it ?
    even a clean compile using jhbuild does the same thing .... ( last one I did was yesterday )

gnome-shell-calendar-server[2432]: Got HUP on stdin - exiting

Great work by the way and the effort that goes into this deserves a BIG THANK YOU
    Last edited by 23dornot23d; June 4th, 2011 at 02:34 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by 23dornot23d View Post
    gnome-shell-calendar-server[2432]: Got HUP on stdin - exiting

Great work by the way and the effort that goes into this deserves a BIG THANK YOU
    Thanks for the attaboy.

So, you get it up & running, fully functional other than this error? If I could figure out hot to turn off all the extensions on the iso it would simplify things immensely. I know it can be done with gsettings but that thing confuses me. One thing that puzzles me is why file permissions change on the themes.

But overall the installation went well and you got a functional gnome shell following the install notes?

Beans
    Hidden!

Here are my first impressions from the V2 version of cbowman57.

This is in no means a total of my findings,just the first impressions of the live cd and the installation,and the first login to the gnome-shell.

DVD or USB:
    I installed the V2 on a 2GB USB-stick with unetbootin.

Live USB start:
    Starting the V2 is nice with UGR picture and then the GDM login.
    I did choose the gnome-fallback session which started nicely,exept from a warning --System program problem detected-- I'f seen that one before, so I knew it means nothing of any importance.

I'd looked around in menu->system and found the install release option and pressed it.
    The install was flawless.

After the install:
    I rebooted and logged in in ubuntu,which gave me the unity interface,not sure if this was the 2d version but it worked as it should be,but to be fair I didn't do very much there,only checked the tweak-tool,but no extensions where listed.

Logged out and back in again in gnome-fallback,no problems there.
    Installed the nVidia driver and google-chrome,no extensions in the tweak-tool neither,so nothing to do over there.
    Reboot for the nVidia driver.

After the reboot:
    I logged in to the fallback session and apt-get install nautilus-gksu.
    After that ALT-F2 gksu nautilus,which gave me an error [screenshots at the end]
    I opened a terminal and sudo su gave me a root terminal and I created the folders it wanted.
    Opened nautilus in the same terminal and compressed the extensions and removed the rest of the folders.
    Did set the permissions on the themes as adviced and update the install.
    A reboot was required.

Don't know what it was but I couldn't login to the shell.
    The GDM screen disappeared and the screen went dark.
    Did see this before though,so I rebooted the machine and I could login the Gnome.
    Didn't see any warnings and the extensions seems to work
    Sound works when you login and all looks fine.

Conclusion so far:
    This looks like a good release,besides the one extra reboot,and the nautilus glich, everything worked out smoothly.

However,I stick to my point as stated before,you shouldn't have to compress a folder or set permissions on themes.
    I think a novice would be stuck with the nautilus warning.

Have to figure out how I get my hometown in the wheater extension.
    And set some nice themes in theme folder.
    So I'll be busy for the next hour

Did notice the icons in notification area are huge?

Will continue to test and keep you informed.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bulldog; June 4th, 2011 at 07:08 PM. Reason: Notification icons

#Ubuntu User 3226#

Page 91 of 177 FirstFirst ... 41818990919293101141 ... LastLast