Page 51 of 177 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101151 ... LastLast

Thread: gNatty Gnome Live ISO

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: gNatty Gnome Live ISO

Quote Originally Posted by 23dornot23d View Post
    I will go through this and reduce my threads too ...... in here to make it more compact.
    Your threads look just fine to me. What we need, is a way to organize all this info otherwise it's waisted.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Here is a problem .... seems to be with a js file ..... but not seen it on my hard drive version
    This pops up from the LiveCD mode only
    I will go through this and reduce my threads too ...... in here to make it more compact.
    Have you tried running it from a USB stick? If so does it give the same error?

@philnice; we've been encouraging people to speak up, and some have, but people can't be made to do what they don't want to do, it's that simple. Copies have been downloaded but we have no way to confirm if they even bothered to visit this thread to see what it's about or get a possible workaround. My guess is that the majority are downloaded, an attempt is made to run it, they see an error, the stick get formatted or the DVD goes into the waste bin. All this is basically mute anyway, with the release of a UGR iso in the next 2 days I'm fairly certain that the majority of people even mildly interested in running G3 shell will try that.

gNatty will likely be superceded and this will just be a memory of what I hope was a pleasant, friendly & helpful virtual community.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by cbowman57 View Post
    gNatty will likely be superceded and this will just be a memory of what I hope was a pleasant, friendly & helpful virtual community.
    I agree, unless, if, you would be interested to keep this topic alive for gnome 3 in general (gnatty and ugr are related with it).
    But yea, of all the time i have spend on this forum so far, these moments in here should be the greatest ever.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by philnice View Post
    I agree, unless, if, you would be interested to keep this topic alive for gnome 3 in general (gnatty and ugr are related with it).
    But yea, of all the time i have spend on this forum so far, these moments in here should be the greatest ever.
    Most definitely, even when UGR meets with general approval & acceptance I think that what we accomplished in 10 or so days will be useful for a long time, and it's not just Ubuntu only information, a lot applies to G3 in general. I'm very pleased with what we've all done here. I've been spending a lot of time in the Arch forums lately and I must say, the group here is much more civil, helpful and displays a better attitude than what I witness over there.

Bottom line, I could be doing a lot of other things but I enjoy being here right now.

If you're motivated about doing so you could glean through this megathread and compile a FAQ or something. Just a thought.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by cbowman57 View Post
    I must say, the group here is much more civil, helpful and displays a better attitude than what I witness over there.
    Absolutely, and i have seen that kind of attitude in other forums about many other distros also.
    And yes it's what keeps me here too, along with another forum in which i'm a member for years, and that also meets my expectations.
    Speaking of which, (the other forum) i have started a topic about what's going on here, in a thread i'm running about linux and more specific, ubuntu related stuff, there. It isn't polished by any means, it was the first thing i did after i added the 4shared link to the iso.
    I also copied parts from here without even asking,- my apologies for that - and giving the appropriate credits (which i did, partially). Again, it was all in a rush. Have a look:
    http://www.symbian-freak.com/forum/v...638440#p638440

Beans

Well if you guys want to keep going .....

We have some good ideas and they do work .... whatever happens tonight we will put a
    Dvd out .... and it will be good .....

I have so many now and I hate seeing any errors on anything - there is one I cannot avoid though the session one .... it keeps re-appearing ..... but it is just one click and its gone.

The rest runs fine ..... this is my final try ...... the ISO is just being built ....... and what I have done is a little bizarre ..... but I hope to get an interesting compilation out tonight

( 1 hour for the system to create the ISO ..... its single processor the computer I use and slow too .... 20 mins to burn the Dvd ..... if it works ..... its going to then get transferred onto a flash card - then brought up onto my laptop .... then it gets renamed and put into
    a torrent .......
    I have a system now ..... but its not short ..... so bear with me ..... and I will post the link here as soon as it is ready ...... )

I am using Lxdm now ........ final option I think .....

The systems have all worked right from the start on my computer ..... its the process of getting them onto a disc that's been the headache here ......
    Anyway whatever happens tonight we will have a disc ......

I intended for it to come out earlier ...... but things happen ....
    not always as you would like either ......

But I am confident .... ....

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by philnice View Post
    Absolutely, and i have seen that kind of attitude in other forums about many other distros also.
    And yes it's what keeps me here too, along with another forum in which i'm a member for years, and that also meets my expectations.
    Speaking of which, (the other forum) i have started a topic about what's going on here, in a thread i'm running about linux and more specific, ubuntu related stuff, there. It isn't polished by any means, it was the first thing i did after i added the 4shared link to the iso.
    I also copied parts from here without even asking,- my apologies for that - and giving the appropriate credits (which i did, partially). Again, it was all in a rush. Have a look:
    http://www.symbian-freak.com/forum/v...638440#p638440
    Great, I love it! It's just information, doesn't do me any good to sit on what we've learned. Besides the ease of use that has become Ubuntu provides, it's the people that make the difference.

Beans
    Distro

Well if you guys want to keep going .....

We have some good ideas and they do work .... whatever happens tonight we will put a
    Dvd out .... and it will be good .....

I have so many now and I hate seeing any errors on anything - there is one I cannot avoid though the session one .... it keeps re-appearing ..... but it is just one click and its gone.

The rest runs fine ..... this is my final try ...... the ISO is just being built ....... and what I have done is a little bizarre ..... but I hope to get an interesting compilation out tonight

( 1 hour for the system to create the ISO ..... its single processor the computer I use and slow too .... 20 mins to burn the Dvd ..... if it works ..... its going to then get transferred onto a flash card - then brought up onto my laptop .... then it gets renamed and put into
    a torrent .......
    I have a system now ..... but its not short ..... so bear with me ..... and I will post the link here as soon as it is ready ...... )

I am using Lxdm now ........ final option I think .....

The systems have all worked right from the start on my computer ..... its the process of getting them onto a disc that's been the headache here ......
    Anyway whatever happens tonight we will have a disc ......

I intended for it to come out earlier ...... but things happen ....
    not always as you would like either ......

But I am confident .... ....
    Bring it on! I'd also like to check out satanselbow's spin with G3 only. I wanted to build one from scratch this week myself but just have had too much going on.

Ignoring what we've learned, and the fun I've had, the worst thing that's come out of this is that there are a half dozen Ubuntu users that familiarized themselves with Gnome shell on Ubuntu. If the UGR project takes off like crazy there are going to be a lot of people asking questions that we've probably already found answers for.

@waspbloke; cheers mate! I did spend about half the day on that gdm background thing we looked at the other day. I explored that link you gave me and tried everything I could using the wiki, it didn't change the background, though it went through the process and is using my chosen background, from what I can tell, yet the default is still displayed. I'll keep looking for an answer to that, didn't want you thinking I didn't follow up.

Beans

Also, sounds like you have a working PPA for Remastersys, could you post that please?
    Just back tracking a bit missed this ......

The Remastersys is the one you left on the original disc ...... as that one obviously worked

I just kept it and keep using it ....... the remastersys works ..... the problems are

1 ..... GDM .... leaves a great big rectangle on the screen that does not refresh or go away.
    2 ..... GDM .... will go into the Main user - but crashes right after loading in the background
    3 ..... KDM ..... only allows for one user to be created and used in a session the one it uses crashes .....

4 .... Each time I try a new one from start to finish probably takes over 4 hours ......
    trying and testing ..... but that does not bother me too much as long as we get a good
    Dvd ...... with all the things on it that I mentioned .... previously ......

It does not crash on the second user by the way ...... and that got me thinking ......

The last thing is there are plenty of choices on it now ....... my only worry would be different graphics cards ......
    but there is not a lot more that we can do about that at this moment in time ..... unless someone else uses the same method as me
    to produce it remastered with new drivers for certain machines ....

The backup is a easy now .... and it is included with k3b .... to burn the disk too ....

So any new disks can easily be made from this one .... once you have it .......

We could pass it back and forth improving it ....

Ok back to work should be done now the ISO that is ....
    Last edited by 23dornot23d; May 17th, 2011 at 01:36 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Anyway whatever happens tonight we will have a disc .....
    Go go go!!!

Page 51 of 177 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101151 ... LastLast