Page 5 of 177 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Thread: gNatty Gnome Live ISO

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: gNatty Gnome Live ISO

....And finally, i can see some serious seeding! cbowman57 when i have it, i'll give it a quick try, (ati nightmare here) and then go straight to 4shared.

Beans

Its fully installed now and working ......

I am typing this from it .... two things to note .....

1 ..... Nvidia Graphics were installed straight from boot up ..............

and Ubuntu Tweak is already on it ..... plus the other Tweak tools too ....
    Ok now to start testing it .......

One more Install test >>> will it install on my 7 year old Laptop now and run ok .....
    Last edited by 23dornot23d; May 18th, 2011 at 03:51 AM.

Beans

Thumbs down Re: gNatty Gnome Live ISO

And lo - on the 8th (ish) day a distro was born
    Code:
    cd /fridge/beer | drink && fallover

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by satanselbow View Post
    And lo - on the 8th (ish) day a distro was born
    Excellent ..... ......
    One more thing tested - fallback mode gives you the normal Gnome Classic Desktop ......

As you can tell the Network is working too ...... this is being typed from it ...... so we are working on my 7 year old laptop here
    and once I have it installed we will have Gnome-shell working too ..... on this old piece of kit a Acer Aspire 1355 LC
    512 mb memory and xga graphics

Please keep the torrent going and seed it after you download please - this is constantly being downloaded now
    but I can only have a few at a time on mine ....
    Last edited by 23dornot23d; May 18th, 2011 at 03:52 AM.

Beans
    Distro

So I shrank my Windows partition to make 70GB for gNatty.
    Unfortunately, the gNatty installer won't allow me to install to my IDE disk partition, sda2. It recognizes my other 4 SATA disks but I don't want to use any of these. Curiously, it allows me to select /dev/sda for Grub.

BTW, is it possible to put in a decent installer program? I want to have complete control over Grub and I want it to explain everything it intends to do and get my confirmation before it does it.

It also reports a System Problem after booting the USB and after I quit the installer it reported unexpected Gnome shell shutdown. It still seems to carry on working, however.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by YesWeCan; May 10th, 2011 at 10:36 PM. Reason: Correction: sda is also a SATA drive. I wonder why it can't see it?
    ASRock P67 Extreme6, Intel i5 2500K, 8GB RAM, nVidia 6600GT, 4x1TB RAID1+0

Beans

I noticed that the installer is the same as the Natty one .......

So I installed it using >>> Something Else

which was the 3rd option down on my screen ......

Then when it gets past the Location Keyboard settings ...... and checks the drives connected to the system

I then choose the area I have previously set up using gparted ...... ( thats just me though )

A routine I find hard to break ......
    I always set the partitions up prior to any install .....

Then just point to the correct partition and change the bot drive >>> which always appears under the
    partition listing in the installer ...... its a drop down menu ..... and you pick where you want
    the boot partition to be ........

After that you pretty much just leave it to do its thing ......

I get a error about the Session after boot ........ which is the same one we get from the live CD

It continues past this though and then works alright ,,,,,,

I should imagine if any people get it dropping to Classic on the old laptop from (live CD mode) and into

LXDE on my desktop (installed) after the error just do ALT + F2

gnome-shell --replace

A graphics driver issue that needs sorting ...... will possibly drop it to Classic or LXDE

I saw that error on the old laptop I used too ...... but on that one it dropped to the Classic mode ....
    but thinking about it - I was also running from the Live CD ..... so thats why Classic mode
    The other was from the Install and that drops into LXDE ...... but Gnome Shell WORKS

just by doing ALT + F2

gnome-shell --replace

or you can log out (now its installed) and change sessions as you would normally from the login screen

Quite a few choices already set up there , and this is pretty fast too on an older system ......

Update ( do not install onto a terra hard drive and try using with a 7 year old laptop - as the bios does
    not know what to do with it so even though I got it installed - I cannot boot from that )
    There is only a 40 Gig drive on my old laptop so finding room is going to be hard ,,,,,

As I do like the look of the Tron theme someone has produced for Gnome Shell

I just used the Wallpaper from here wallpaper for now as that looks like the old setup ...... but no doubt
    we can achive something similar

may have to wipe Linux Mint off of it now
    Last edited by 23dornot23d; May 18th, 2011 at 03:53 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by YesWeCan View Post
    It all seems to work well. I have been getting used to the menu system. I don't have a spare partition to install it to just at the moment.
    Unless I overwrite Windows 7, that is.
    Easy now...

Great job. Keep it up. =D>
    Resize one, all you need is 5-10Gb to try it out. I'm assuming that you already have some linux installations on HD. From the live image you can't really play with themes or extensions.

Glad that it's up & running without serious glitches though.

Beans
    Distro

That TRON desktop looks nice.

Yes, I thought it was the Natty installer.
    Just wondering how else I can install. Can I, say, copy the USB stick files onto my HD and then boot it manually using the USB's Grub? Then how would I proceed after that?
    ASRock P67 Extreme6, Intel i5 2500K, 8GB RAM, nVidia 6600GT, 4x1TB RAID1+0

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by philnice View Post
    ....And finally, i can see some serious seeding! cbowman57 when i have it, i'll give it a quick try, (ati nightmare here) and then go straight to 4shared.
    Yeah, an ATI system will be a challenge. I'll cross my fingers.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by YesWeCan View Post
    So I shrank my Windows partition to make 70GB for gNatty.
    Unfortunately, the gNatty installer won't allow me to install to my IDE disk partition, sda2. It recognizes my other 4 SATA disks but I don't want to use any of these. Curiously, it allows me to select /dev/sda for Grub.
    Did you create a swap partition, or does one already exist? I don't usually use a swap partition but I noticed during the alpha/beta stage with Natty that it demanded one or it would not install. I just created a small one & haven't had any problems since.

Something I do on my system is to create fairly small linux partitions for installation and separate partitions for my Downloads & Music, etc.. then I use mnt/bind in fstab to mount them in my home folders. So I have about 8-9 linux installations that all share "folders". (I do a lot of installations and don't like shuffling things around)

BTW, is it possible to put in a decent installer program? I want to have complete control over Grub and I want it to explain everything it intends to do and get my confirmation before it does it.
    Unfortunately it's not, creating or adapting installers I'll leave up to the mother distro.

You could skip installing the loader, or install the loader to the install partition, though it will give some warnings like that, especially grub 1.99~, however they are more informative than critical.

It also reports a System Problem after booting the USB and after I quit the installer it reported unexpected Gnome shell shutdown. It still seems to carry on working, however.
    Yes, there is a small little bug, but it doesn't seem critical. Once it's installed you should be able to just do a sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade to bring everything up to date cure that. You can try sudo apt-get install -f if a package is stubborn about upgrading.

Page 5 of 177 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast