Page 49 of 177 FirstFirst ... 3947484950515999149 ... LastLast

Thread: gNatty Gnome Live ISO

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: gNatty Gnome Live ISO

how many bottles of NO-DOZE have you taken so far ?
    i cant keep up with all this malarkey !!!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by cecilpierce View Post
    how many bottles of NO-DOZE have you taken so far ?
    i cant keep up with all this malarkey !!!

Unfortunately my sleep patterns have been pretty strange lately. No no-doze required.

aeronutt is offline Extra Foam Sugar Free Ubuntu
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cbowman57 View Post
    Run the additional drivers app and see what is activated. I put both ATI & Nvidia in there so there may be a conflict.
    Sorry folks, I should have been more specific. I've loaded gnatty onto a partition, so I'm booting off of harddisk. I have dual graphics, which doesn't work under regular Ubuntu/Unity either. Heck of a time just getting things to boot on that version also. I have Intel i3 integrated graphics and an AMD Radeon 6630 graphics. None of the AMD proprietary graphics drivers work. In normal Ubuntu, I finally got the Intel integrated working and the AMD powered off by:

editing rc.local with:
    modprobe radeon
    echo OFF > /sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo/switch

and blacklist.conf with:
    blacklist radeon

So I'll log back into gnatty and play a bit. But under unity, removing the fglrx driver after an install, never quite worked right IIRC.

Thanks for the help!!

EDIT: Update, unistalled fglrx as described here, and still can't log in using gnome3.
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Troublesho...from%20scratch

Getting the same error after logging in as before:
    "XSession arguments unsupported (2); falling back to default session" (or something like that).
    And FYI, same thing happens if I try to log in using Unity.
    Last edited by aeronutt; May 16th, 2011 at 01:33 PM.

Beans

Afternoon all ..... hope everybody is well today .....

My keeping awake clock ran out last night and had to sleep 3 energy drinks .... was about it ... lols

I have now sussed out how to do the torrent properly ....

We now have two more successful 64 bit Distros created ..... just Gnome3 on them.

I decided that it runs so well and now and I have backups on disk USB flash cards and on the USB hard drives ..... so to go for a full blown system with the other things on that I have previously set up .....

LXDE + Gnome Shell

KDE

Enlightenment

UNITY

and of course

The new Gnome-shell with all the extensions and Themes .....

__________________________________________________ ________

I know that this is possible because I have already done it ....... the thing is the Distro
    is getting bigger ....... was 1.4 Gig on the last burn .....

I am not too bothered about this ....... as its on a Dvd and it could not be reduced
    to a CD as far as I could see , then as long as we keep it within the limits of the
    Dvd and what the torrent allows me then we are in business.

This does not worry me too much ..... what has worried me is the problems with the
    graphics cards .....

__________________________________________________ _

I do not mind seeing the negative comments some post but if they are just one liners
    with no mention of their systems or graphics cards etc ......

It does not help us ...... to help them ...... if people get problems tell us specifically what error comes on the screen and what graphics card you use ..... as a start point.

Not it just it wont run on my system .......

We have nowhere to go from that .....

I want to help .......

( When I first started with linux there were very few distros that would pick up the graphics card I had at the time .... now there are very few that do not ...... )

I stuck with Nvidia and always have done after finding that out ........

But there is no reason why things cannot change ..... we just need some information
    to help ........ something like this ......

Gnome Shell does not run on my system because

I use a xxxxxxx graphics card in a xxxxxxxx computer ........

and the way I run it is from live CD or a Install .....

and both fail with this error ...... and here is a screenshot

Then we might be able to do something about it ..........

I hope this helps to clarify things

As a response like my system just does not work is just going to get bypassed in future
    otherwise it becomes guess work for us and wastes our time guessing at a solution.

LATEST SCREENSHOT ...... full size

Cheers ,,,, seems we both replied around the same time .....

I run dual monitors too ..... triple actually ..... and one is disabled ....

The AMD Radeon 6630 graphics ....... <<< click the link

There is a bug on the dual graphics cards and turning one off was a solution
    I posted a video not so long back in a thread on how to do this ...... will look for it now .....

How to disable one of the cards ... LINK

Not sure if this will help too .... LINK
    may be able to get more information out of using it ..... all sorts of issues

I did a search on solutions .... not one proper one yet ....
    Last edited by 23dornot23d; May 16th, 2011 at 01:55 PM.

Beans
    Distro

@23dornot23d; The tomshardware link the preferred info?

@everybody; have started indexing this thread, completed first 10 pages. Tried to make it interactive but the method eluded me. (may revisit later)

Beans

Cheers ,,,, Tomshadrware ,,,, always has been a top notch site ......

LINK

Thanks ,,,

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by 23dornot23d View Post
    Cheers ,,,, Tomshadrware ,,,, always has been a top notch site ......

LINK

Thanks ,,,
    Sure has, been visiting them since way back in my overclocker days.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by aeronutt View Post
    Sorry folks, I should have been more specific. I've loaded gnatty onto a partition, so I'm booting off of harddisk. I have dual graphics, which doesn't work under regular Ubuntu/Unity either. Heck of a time just getting things to boot on that version also. I have Intel i3 integrated graphics and an AMD Radeon 6630 graphics. None of the AMD proprietary graphics drivers work. In normal Ubuntu, I finally got the Intel integrated working and the AMD powered off by:

editing rc.local with:
    modprobe radeon
    echo OFF > /sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo/switch

and blacklist.conf with:
    blacklist radeon

So I'll log back into gnatty and play a bit. But under unity, removing the fglrx driver after an install, never quite worked right IIRC.

Thanks for the help!!

EDIT: Update, unistalled fglrx as described here, and still can't log in using gnome3.
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Troublesho...from%20scratch

Getting the same error after logging in as before:
    "XSession arguments unsupported (2); falling back to default session" (or something like that).
    And FYI, same thing happens if I try to log in using Unity.
    Good morning aeronutt, very helpful information, thanks.

It sounds like you're no stranger to finding workarounds on Linux. Perhaps someone will reply with a working solution.

Since the iso is preloaded with some bleeding edge PPA's that may be the root of this particular problem. A drastic attempt at a solution might be to install ppa-purge and purge the X-Updates &/or xorg edgers fresh X crack PPA. That will put the system closer to a standard Natty install and allow you easier access to the standard set of drivers. Basically revert the sources.list to your installation that works with Unity, retaining the gnome3-team, ubuntugnometeam, & ricotz entries. For troubleshootung & stability you can also remove ricotz without affecting the basic package, what you will be left with is what UGR (Ubuntu Gnome Remix) is using.

If you have the patience & time to continue trying to get G3 shell to work.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cbowman57 View Post
    Good morning aeronutt, very helpful information, thanks.

It sounds like you're no stranger to finding workarounds on Linux. Perhaps someone will reply with a working solution.

Since the iso is preloaded with some bleeding edge PPA's that may be the root of this particular problem. A drastic attempt at a solution might be to install ppa-purge and purge the X-Updates &/or xorg edgers fresh X crack PPA. That will put the system closer to a standard Natty install and allow you easier access to the standard set of drivers. Basically revert the sources.list to your installation that works with Unity, retaining the gnome3-team, ubuntugnometeam, & ricotz entries. For troubleshootung & stability you can also remove ricotz without affecting the basic package, what you will be left with is what UGR (Ubuntu Gnome Remix) is using.

If you have the patience & time to continue trying to get G3 shell to work.
    Thanks for the help and ideas, I'll try that!! And I think we all appreciate what your doing here with Natty and G3. I'm really finding myself liking G3 quite a bit more than Unity, and I gave Unity a few weeks to grow on me.

Beans

23dornot23d, thanks for the links on the graphics. I'll check them out. I have been able to disable the AMD card by blacklisting it. Battery life when from ~2 hours to ~4 hours when I did that.

Page 49 of 177 FirstFirst ... 3947484950515999149 ... LastLast