Page 21 of 177 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171121 ... LastLast

Thread: gNatty Gnome Live ISO

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: gNatty Gnome Live ISO

Quote Originally Posted by philnice View Post
    You're right, and i read about that accidentally a few hours ago on gnome.org but stupid me didn't track the page address. Keep looking for it. Can't remember the names of these two folders.
    Cool! Sounds like they have a fix for it then. Just have to locate that entry.

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by waspbloke View Post
    I notice it happens when I log out and back in. The more times I do, the more duplicates appear.
    Still, the solution i found earlier seems to be the best. The question is, what was it....

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by waspbloke View Post
    I notice it happens when I log out and back in. The more times I do, the more duplicates appear.
    Quit doing that.

No seriously, if you restart and log back in are there duplicates or is it just after multiple logouts?

What you & I are using (the 64-bit) is virtually identical and I looked just now & don't have the duplicate problem however I haven't logged in & out lately.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by cbowman57 View Post
    Cool! Sounds like they have a fix for it then. Just have to locate that entry.

Thanks!
    You thank me, but i assure you most of the people having that problem and searching right now on the net, would probably hate me!!!

Beans
    Distro

[QUOTE=cbowman57;10807662]

If you don't use unity anyway, a dirty workaround might be to simply purge unity* and compiz* and see if the problem goes away.
    That sounds interesting. How would i go to wipe both?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quit doing that.

No seriously, if you restart and log back in are there duplicates or is it just after multiple logouts?

What you & I are using (the 64-bit) is virtually identical and I looked just now & don't have the duplicate problem however I haven't logged in & out lately.
    Funnily enough I just did a reboot and have 3 Desktop Webmail, 2 Keyboard Input Method and 2 Nightly Web Browser icons. It seems to be quite random really as to which icons are duplicated and how many it gives me.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by satanselbow View Post
    Only potential problem - and I haven't tried going there at all yet - is the potential to break other "stuff" trying to out Unity once it is on... which was kind of why I went the minimal route in the 1st place as banging the G3 repos (as they were a couple of weeks ago) left artifacts and problems of their own when thrown on a clean 11.04
    I've purged unity with no ill effects, as far as artifacts, quite possible but autoremove usually took care of the bulk of them.

I'm quite happy with G3 even though - truth be told - the differences between it and Unity, from both a functional and aesthetic viewpoint, are not that great. I also think that Unity will fork further away from G3 in future (possibly purely on identity issues alone) and as does not suit my purpose now I don't see it doing so in later releases.
    My biggest problem with Unity, truth be told, is the way it's being shoved down our throats. I can adapt to just about anything, but why should I have too? A computer IMO is an extension of the user and as such should feel intuitive, what works for some doesn't work for all. Historically we've grown up with that "Windows" look & feel, it's what were used to & linux has given us the simple tools to modify it to suit us, that's what I love about it. Unity (and to some extent Gnome 3.0) is basically an overize Android phone, but Gnome has implemented it better IMO. Oh well, I'll cut my rambling off there.

Most of the dependancy "problems" i've been having are more down to me not paying attention properly and will - after a good nights sleep - be resolved... maybe

Off on a tangent...
    I love a good tangent now & then.

The problem with multiple icons for the same app on the dash is the same age old gnome problem of having multiple categories per app. Think Evolution appearing as "Internet" and "Office" for the email and calendar respectively. Only fix - that I immediately know of - is to find the .desktop file (/use/share/apps ?????) and manually edit out the categories you do not want it to appear in
    Ok, herein lies the solution. Use alacarte & turn off the entries in "other". Thanks.

Nighty nighty... more G3 experiments at dawn
    G'night.

Beans
    Distro

[QUOTE=philnice;10807724]
    That sounds interesting. How would i go to wipe both?
    sudo apt-get purge unity*
    sudo apt-get purge compiz*

then to clean up unused dependencies

sudo apt-get autoremove

Beans
    Distro

Already did, but in the meantime i switched partitions..... LOL!
    I can't believe i left something that usefull pass through only because i was searching for other stuff.....
    I do that ALL the time. I get tunnel vision when I go tracking down a problem, especially if it's something critical like trying to stamp out the problem you're having.

Beans

Has anybody noticed Alt+F2 no longer works after the upgrades ........ for command line input

or is it just on my system ?

I know UNITY use it to switch workspaces now .... ALT+f1 .....ALT+f2 probably more but did
    not check ......

Applications >>> Preferences >>> keyboard ...

Is there a quick way to get the keys back to normal ... ?
    Last edited by 23dornot23d; May 13th, 2011 at 12:43 AM.

Page 21 of 177 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171121 ... LastLast