Page 20 of 177 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070120 ... LastLast

Thread: gNatty Gnome Live ISO

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: gNatty Gnome Live ISO

Quote Originally Posted by waspbloke View Post
    Already had the themes tab...extracted themes and rebooted but no themes appear in the selector...also, extensions folder is empty...?

Assuming we can get themes working, will they fix the garbled top bar? On a probably unrelated note, many icons have duplicated in the application list.
    There are extensions in /usr/share/gnome-shell/extensions you can copy those to ~/.local/share/gnome-shell/extensions but I think you will be better off just using the gNatty Pack and following the included README.

Pretty sure the duplicate applications are a a bug that isn't exclusive to the iso we're using. (I keep having to remember that there are slight differences between gNatty Gnome & Natty Gnome, though they function the same from what I've been able to gather so far)

Beans

I have seen the duplicate icons problem before somewhere it was related to having LXDE
    the icons get picked up twice .. but I do not know why yet ....

(There has to be a better way than removing LXDE too ...... there must be two folders of symbols that are being picked up
    from somewhere ?)

When I went into the 32 bit version they are ok ...... though ....
    Last edited by 23dornot23d; May 12th, 2011 at 11:45 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by 23dornot23d View Post
    I did read that you put something about versions and it checking for them ..... should have realised ....

I did play it safe by saying themes only though .....

I did put this link there too .... but thought it was just for the 32 bit .... sorry ...
    No, it's for any architecture.

I see the pack is 0.8 and the latest is 0.9 now .... will bear it in mind the Themes can be removed
    and replaced .... if they cause a problem ..... but was the 64 bit done when this was valid
    as I updated mine this way and it worked ok ......... have also done the same in the
    32 bit and that works too .... !!!
    Yes, the 64-bit version was done that way, and as long as you use 0.8 you can copy & paste between 64-bit - 32-bit, the extension should be architecture agnostic. With the couple tweaks I made to the files included in the pack I think you might like it better than what you have.

Things are moving so fast it's hard to keep up with the minor little changes. I really appreciate the support you've given me, and the rest of the people that visit here.
    Last edited by cbowman57; May 12th, 2011 at 11:49 PM. Reason: Typo

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

there must be two folders of symbols that are being picked up
    from somewhere ?
    You're right, and i read about that accidentally a few hours ago on gnome.org but stupid me didn't track the page address. Keep looking for it. Can't remember the names of these two folders.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by philnice View Post
    You're right, and i read about that accidentally a few hours ago on gnome.org but stupid me didn't track the page address. Keep looking for it. Can't remember the names of these two folders.
    I notice it happens when I log out and back in. The more times I do, the more duplicates appear.

Beans

Look in your history on Firefox - ... it might still be there .....but it would be good to know

I will have a quick search too .......ty .......

I will also try to load in the other themes and see what happens now ..... ty CBowman
    for the kind words too ,,,,

Beans

Thumbs down Re: gNatty Gnome Live ISO

Quote Originally Posted by cbowman57 View Post
    BTW, after playing with a minimal install I've reached the conclusion that the best, and simplest method is to use the UGR repos in addition to gnome3-team & ricotz, just install the ugr-desktop-g3 and avoid the dependency hell. After which you can purge unity* and a few other things you don't want.
    Only potential problem - and I haven't tried going there at all yet - is the potential to break other "stuff" trying to out Unity once it is on... which was kind of why I went the minimal route in the 1st place as banging the G3 repos (as they were a couple of weeks ago) left artifacts and problems of their own when thrown on a clean 11.04

I'm quite happy with G3 even though - truth be told - the differences between it and Unity, from both a functional and aesthetic viewpoint, are not that great. I also think that Unity will fork further away from G3 in future (possibly purely on identity issues alone) and as does not suit my purpose now I don't see it doing so in later releases.

Most of the dependancy "problems" i've been having are more down to me not paying attention properly and will - after a good nights sleep - be resolved... maybe

Off on a tangent...

The problem with multiple icons for the same app on the dash is the same age old gnome problem of having multiple categories per app. Think Evolution appearing as "Internet" and "Office" for the email and calendar respectively. Only fix - that I immediately know of - is to find the .desktop file (/use/share/apps ?????) and manually edit out the categories you do not want it to appear in

Nighty nighty... more G3 experiments at dawn
    Last edited by satanselbow; May 12th, 2011 at 11:59 PM. Reason: an few tired typos
    Code:
    cd /fridge/beer | drink && fallover

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by waspbloke View Post
    Okay, themes working now as per gNatty pack instructions. But now sidebar icons and a few other elements have turned into coloured noise/static...!!!!

Ok, they did an update on gnome-shell (I think it was) the other day and it caused some weirdness in some themes, though what you're seeing might be ATI related.

Open up gnome-tweak-tool and double check some of the themes selections. In Gnome 3.0 you can change Shell themes, metacity, GTK & icon themes.

I think there is some conflict between the way gnome-tweak-tool does themes & the way the themeselector extension does them but it doesn't break anything. After changing themes or extensions an alt+f2 r enter, may be required (it doesn't hurt anything), and don't panic if after using that combination there is a minor crash and it logs you out, it's harmless and doesn't persist or mean anything is seriously broken.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Look in your history on Firefox - ... it might still be there .....but it would be good to know

I will have a quick search too .......ty .......

I will also try to load in the other themes and see what happens now ..... ty CBowman
    for the kind words too ,,,,
    Already did, but in the meantime i switched partitions..... LOL!
    I can't believe i left something that usefull pass through only because i was searching for other stuff.....

Beans
    Distro

[QUOTE=philnice;10807539]
    Quote Originally Posted by cbowman57 View Post
    @philnice, just out of curiousity did you try booting to the ubuntu (Unity) desktop at any time you were trying various drivers? If so, did it function ok?

Also, how well do your drivers support Unity when you do a stock 11.04 installation?[/QUOTE
    I did, several times and the results were the same. As for the latter, i'm not sure if i did it recently, but i have always had problems if, compiz and something else related to x were running at the same time. And that got me thinking, since i use mixxx (dj software), and i had to disable compiz everytime i wanted to use it....
    Now, on the same kernel, i can run mixxx with minimal problems... And judging by the transitions i see, some sort of effects should present....
    I now have opened /usr/local/share/gnome.... in both partitions, and trying to see if i could fix whatever is missing on my 10.10 gnome 3 install to make the shell fully functional.
    If you don't use unity anyway, a dirty workaround might be to simply purge unity* and compiz* and see if the problem goes away.

Page 20 of 177 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070120 ... LastLast