Page 175 of 177 FirstFirst ... 75125165173174175176177 LastLast
Results 1,741 to 1,750 of 1770

Thread: gNatty Gnome Live ISO

Beans

Re: gNatty Gnome Live ISO

I love it when you are here .... inspires me to try things .....

here is Arch after I saw yours ...... all the extensions are so easy now to add ....

[keith@archbang ~]$ gnome-shell --version
    GNOME Shell 3.2.1
    [keith@archbang ~]$

although I do not use many of them .... the ones I need are good .... and the dock in Gnome -shell now autohides which is a lot better .....

and if they do fail now .... a screen appears where you can turn them off to problem solve .... great ...

where is this file in which directory ? overview.js

will find it ....

gksu gedit /usr/share/gnome-shell/js/ui/overview.js

done ....

seems a lot more responsive now ..... some of the screen problems with
    tearing on this old machine are better now too .....
    was just putting it down to the low mem on this and slow processor ...
    Last edited by 23dornot23d; October 22nd, 2011 at 04:23 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Looks good Keith, I turned off the dock but now that it autohides I like it a lot better.

Lack of extensions were holding me back but the void is being quickly filled & now that Ubuntu has gnome shell from it's repos it will get adopted fairly quickly & bring with it a ton of users that will add their java scrip talents to the mix. Things should progress rapidly from now on.

I like brainstorming with you guys too.

Looks like you found the magic directory.

Another trick that I found (courtesy of Mr. Finnbar Murphy) makes managing the shell easier is editing your /usr/share/gnome-tweak-tool/shell.ui, line 8
    Code:
        <property name="resizable">True</property>
    from False to True, the same trick works with some other apps too that hide buttons (gnome-control-center for example).

Beans

Ok done that ..... also added a new theme Plastiq ...... you might like too is a dark theme and
    well done ....

Last edited by 23dornot23d; October 22nd, 2011 at 07:34 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Yeah, I think I looked at that one.

I'm favoring these two lately, unfortunately the Arch themes aren't up to date with latest gtk3 & 3.2

arch.jpg

atolm.jpg

I do have an affinity for the dark themes.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Dark themes are nice but that particular theme has really narrow scroll bars and the colors look a little mixed up.
    Help yourself: Ubuntu Docs - Ubuntu Packages

Beans
    Distro

gsmanners, I assume you're referring to the Arch-style theme, if so I agree, it needs to be tweaked ror updated.

I lean more towards the Atlom based theme, which is the ne Im using currently.

Beans

I have moved away from the tron theme and trying other things out ..... but that looks slightly similar in appearance to it ...

Will have a bit of a play tonight with things ..... note sure which system at the moment swapping and changing constantly ..... and the chat on facebook now is messed up
    not sure why ..... if its linux or Facebook .... strange things happening .... ruining my scrabble.

Link to the Theme I use at the moment .......
    GTK+- Plastiq

Last edited by 23dornot23d; October 23rd, 2011 at 01:10 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Updated post #1 with link to Riome

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by cbowman57 View Post
    One of the tricks to getting G-S to "fly" is tweaking animation times, by reducing it from 0.2 to 0.05 or example makes it "pop" like you wouldn't believe.

Here's an example of how it looks in the overview.js (On this machine it's line 30)

Code:
    const WorkspaceThumbnail = imports.ui.workspaceThumbnail;

// Time for initial animation going into Overview mode
    const ANIMATION_TIME = 0.05;
    Once you get familiar with the anatomy of G-S minor tweaks to the .js files are pretty simple. Of course they get deleted when the shell is updated.

Somebody familiar with sed could probably create a simple script to apply the changes though. Would make a neat project.
    Nice one, mine was set to 0.25 by default. It looks more responsive now.

But a question: What's the point in autohiding the dock? It seems as a non-autohiding dock would only give some advantage because you see in advantage where you have to point. If the dock autohides, you can just as well use the activities view, you also don't know where to point there at the beginning, and you need to bump against an edge too.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by sanderd17 View Post
    Nice one, mine was set to 0.25 by default. It looks more responsive now.

But a question: What's the point in autohiding the dock? It seems as a non-autohiding dock would only give some advantage because you see in advantage where you have to point. If the dock autohides, you can just as well use the activities view, you also don't know where to point there at the beginning, and you need to bump against an edge too.
    The autohiding dock saves desktop space, looks less cluttered, after a few days I disabled it due to lack of use. I use the panel favorites extension which keeps my most frequently used apps on the panel, for most everything else I use synapse, which I also used with the old Gnome2.32. For me overview mode is mostly for switching active applications, which is also why I prefer a hot corner in the upper right, can't wait until that extension is updated.

Since the release of 3.2 extension development seems to have accelerated.

Page 175 of 177 FirstFirst ... 75125165173174175176177 LastLast