Page 138 of 177 FirstFirst ... 3888128136137138139140148 ... LastLast
Results 1,371 to 1,380 of 1770

Thread: gNatty Gnome Live ISO

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: gNatty Gnome Live ISO

This is important stuff you guys do here. Ubuntu has taken one too many bad decisions and I was just about to switch to Fedora. The thing that stopped me is that the iso failed to boot on my target machine. I didn't really want to switch, but I don't want to un-cripple a distro before use either. I hope (this real) GNOME Ubuntu becomes GNUbuntu, and I hope it becomes more popular than normal crippled ignorant chaotic kiddy Unitybuntu.

Curiosity: Why is it so hard to get (real) GNOME + shell in Ubuntu? The UGR team does a good job too, but in a perfect world, all you'd have to do is apt-get some stuff.

I remember the very first time; adding a PPA, apt-get, dist-upgrade and by accident everything just worked. God was annoyed by this hassle-free transition and said: It shall never be this easy again anymore!

Quote Originally Posted by cbowman57 View Post
    my connection is painfully slow so it needs all the help it can get.
    In the Netherlands, the torrent downloads at 50 KB/s, in America at 3 MB/s, wut? And I thought internet was global.
    📻 Amp.lol. No bloat, just radio. 🤘

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Hmm, have to try the new image tomorrow. I hope it *just works*, I don't really have time to help you help me like last time, but I do appreciate this. The project might just save Ubuntu from making the same mistake Nokia did: Making a stupid choice.

And that's why, for now, I will kindly offer some bandwidth.

http://files.Redsandro.com/ubuntu/gNatty Gnome amd64 v3 Live.iso (64 bit)
    http://files.Redsandro.com/ubuntu/gNatty Gnome i686 v3.1 Live.iso (32 bit)

But if it gets too crazy I'm gonna have to go ahead and pull the plug.
    Last edited by Redsandro; July 15th, 2011 at 04:10 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by munkymac View Post
    From what I can see, he hasn't. This is a screengrab from his github (https://github.com/kagesenshi/gnome-...ensions-pidgin), and I can't find anything updated anywhere else.
    If you can't live without that extension for the time being the only real alternative is to ppa-purge ricotz/testing to take you back to gnome-shell 3.0.2. That's the best suggestion I can come up with at this time.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Redsandro View Post
    Hmm, have to try the new image tomorrow. I hope it *just works*, I don't really have time to help you help me like last time, but I do appreciate this. The project might just save Ubuntu from making the same mistake Nokia did: Making a stupid choice.

And that's why, for now, I will kindly offer some bandwidth.

http://files.Redsandro.com/ubuntu/gNatty Gnome amd64 v3 Live.iso (64 bit)
    http://files.Redsandro.com/ubuntu/gNatty Gnome i686 v3.1 Live.iso (32 bit)

But if it gets too crazy I'm gonna have to go ahead and pull the plug.
    Thank you Redsandro, for now I'll just leave the link in this post and you let me know how it goes. If that doesn't break anything I'll add it to post #1.

I really don't know why it's so hard, wouldn't have to be if Ubuntu wanted it to work but they are putting all their chips on Unity. This is essentially the iso that UGR hasn't released yet, I don't take credit for anything but using their recipe & adding ricotz/testing (which if not deactivated after installation will jump you to gnome-shell 3.1.3 which will break some things).

I hope it works out of the box for you and doesn't create any headaches. Let me know how it goes tomorrow.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

You can add it to post #1, no problem.

<edit>
    The images do not boot properly with unetbootin, OR:
    </edit>

The 3.x images do not boot properly for me. The amd64 gives me a flood of repetive text on boot, after which a prompt. Not unlike the Fedora 15 image. Difference: Ubuntu drops me to a prompt within a few minutes. Fedora keeps on looping and waiting for at least 35 minutes (after which I was done with my coffee and I gave up).

The i686 gives me something different, but also gives up during boot.

Image 1: amd64 gNatty 3.0 image > Purple 11.04 loading screen after pressing escape
    Image 2: Ubuntu gave up
    Image 3: Fedora image, only came to mind to post this because I noticed the similarity in the flood of messages.
    Image 4: i686 gNatty 3.1 image

I know these images are pretty professional. You're welcome.

Now either something changed since the first image, or I completely forgot I actually burned a cd instead of using unetbootin, which I did for these.

I'm gonna rattle some lightposts and see if there's some empty cds falling out of them.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Redsandro; July 15th, 2011 at 02:44 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Startup Disk Creator works fine if Unetbootin doesn't.

Do you have other USB flash devices attached? Those images make it look like it's searching for a drive that doesn't exist.

Beans
    Distro

Direct download links

Courtesy of Redsandro I have added his direct download links to post #1.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

You were right, it was the USB boot that did not work. I found an old DVD, and gNatty 3.0 booted!

I was wondering if you know where I'm at:

On boot, I just get the empty desktop. I have to ctrl+alt+t (terminal) and enter gnome-shell --replace

Then I get the nice shell, all apps and graphics work (Intel HD graphics). But the buttons in the shell menu's don't respond.

When I choose my internet connection, I get no dialog for entering my password. Click on logout, no dialog.

Is this something simple, or am I an unknown distance away from a workable distro?

Completely irrelevant, just want to mention that the 'new' Ubuntu feels less sophisticated than it used to be. I could always just unetbootin any distro, but 11.04 doesn't work. Consequentially, no gNatty nor Mint 11 don't work neither.

10.10 had a similar bug where on some computers you had to link a bunch of files to a different path iirc and it worked. 11.04 Won't even boot that way. Therefore, 11.04 < 10.10 < 10.04. But we need the support for new hardware.

Just want to spread some negativity where negativity is due like a layer of gravy in which a tasty new non-crippled Ubuntu can be baked/born is all.

Quote Originally Posted by cbowman57 View Post
    Do you have other USB flash devices attached? Those images make it look like it's searching for a drive that doesn't exist.
    Nope, just the one I am trying to boot from. But there is something to it, the bulk of messages has a different address when I try to boot from a different USB port.
    Last edited by Redsandro; July 15th, 2011 at 09:55 PM.

Beans
    Distro

@Redsandro; have you completed the installation or is this behavior happening from the LiveDVD? If from the live image, that's not all that unusual depending on some video cards. If it's from an installation I would check to see if there are extra video drivers installed.

Are you using just wifi or do you have a wired connection available?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

It's happening from the Live DVD. It doesn't feel like there is a video card issue; apart from the unresponsive options, the interface works very fluent, just like compiz, no problems. Gnome shell is really beautiful.

I should make some space on my laptop for a partition and just make a dual boot to see how it behaves when it's settled down.

Are there important differences between 3.1 and 3.0? My interests are 64 bits, that's why I tried the 3.0 image.

Page 138 of 177 FirstFirst ... 3888128136137138139140148 ... LastLast