Page 103 of 177 FirstFirst ... 35393101102103104105113153 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,030 of 1770

Thread: gNatty Gnome Live ISO

Beans

Re: gNatty Gnome Live ISO

when I click on anything in the top nuttin happens till I move the mouse to the next icon.
    I cant even log out or shut down.
    Interesting you should say this - I found similar too ..... sliding the mouse across to the left
    while trying to click to shut down in the top right would reveal a menu .....

But actually doing it as you should and hovering over it or clicking it did nothing at all .....

Also the logout problem .... too ...... (could not logout or shutdown the proper way .... but I put that down to using LightDM )

What I did with all my systems now is go back to gnome2.32 and its not as drastic as you think ....
    and with mine no more blue smiley faces and I can quite happily go from Unity to Gnome Shell and back again .....
    but only do this with machines that have over 1 gig of memory .....

(It will work on less memory as I found out - but its extremely slow to swap from one to the other .....)

sudo aptitude install gnome3-session
    (this is actually Gnome 2.32.1)

I no longer have the blue face and error popping up

Worked for me ..... but do not accept the first choice it gives you ..... it will try to work out dependencies ..... answer no to the first one ......
    (if you know what I mean ..... select the one that does nothing other than remove the fallback option)
    if the dependencies are more for you just use q at any point to exit ..... no harm done ....

Its worth a try ..... what do you have to loose if its a clean install .......

and if you want to get back to Gnome3 again .....

sudo aptitude install gnome-session
    (this is actually Gnome 3.0)
    Last edited by 23dornot23d; June 9th, 2011 at 10:41 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Sounds like that video driver bug is rearing it's ugly head. Haven't had problems like that in quite a few weeks, wish I could remember exactly what I did to cure that. Removed unnecessary driver maybe?

And of course there is always that clean install to make it all better.

Beans
    Hidden!

I'm sorry you seem to have trouble with the V2.
    Mine is working perfect as far as I can see.
    The install was trouble free and I could log in the fallback mode,and I compressed the /usr/share/gnome-shell/extensions folder and removed all but the tar.gz.
    Then I setup the rights on the themes,but left them in the usr/share/themes folder.
    Then I logged in to unity to see if it worked and it did,but the theme didn't look right to me,but who cares,it worked.
    Than I would log in to the gnome-shell and this was a bit wrong,because the system seems to freeze and I needed a terminal to reboot.
    After the reboot I could log in to the gnome-shell,decompressed the tar.gz,did some copy paste work from a previous install to get the themes working,this failed.
    A lot of extensions did work though,I didn't checked them all,but the top bar was loaded with them.
    I copy them to the ~/.local/share/gnome-shell extension folder,but had no themes in the themes tab.
    Because I had a theme-tab but no themes show up,I removed all the themes which I had copy paste from a previous install,removed the theme extension and the user theme extension and refreshed them with a new one.
    Extracted new themes in the .themes folder and voila,everything worked.

The system has only frozen once in the gnome-shell,don't know why,but I was copying something from a website and would paste it into gedit,and the system froze.
    Nothing worked and I used reisub to reboot.

The only tricky thing is to get from unity into gnome-shell most of the time the system hangs and a reboot is necessary.

I have disabled most of the extensions,because I don't like them,I use only:
    1. Theme-selector
    2. User theme extension
    3. gNatty menu
    4. looking glass near the menu
    5. Places menu
    6. system monitor
    7. Alternate system menu

That's all and it's running fine in gnome-shell,which is the only thing I use.

This is a desktop computer Intel Core Duo 3ghz,4GB RAM,nVidia 9800GTX+ and a Gygabite motherboard,so nothing unusual about it.
    Last edited by bulldog; June 9th, 2011 at 11:43 PM. Reason: typo's
    Resistance is futile.....you will be assimilated!

Registered Linux User 418427.
    #Ubuntu User 3226#

Beans

There is always the hard way too ..... or long way ..... build it yourself ....

If you want to build Gnome-Shell from scratch make sure you read everything below too .....

https://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell#building

https://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/RemovingLaFiles

I do like trying things out .... and I do like to see whats new ..... but it takes a lot of time
    doing it this way and can cause you all sorts of headaches ......

But you will learn a lot along the way .......

Always options with Linux ....

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
    I'm sorry you seem to have trouble with the V2.
    Mine is working perfect as far as I can see.
    The install was trouble free and I could log in the fallback mode,and I compressed the /usr/share/gnome-shell/extensions folder and removed all but the tar.gz.
    Then I setup the rights on the themes,but left them in the usr/share/themes folder.
    Then I logged in to unity to see if it worked and it did,but the theme didn't look right to me,but who cares,it worked.
    Than I would log in to the gnome-shell and this was a bit wrong,because the system seems to freeze and I needed a terminal to reboot.
    After the reboot I could log in to the gnome-shell,decompressed the tar.gz,did some copy paste work from a previous install to get the themes working,this failed.
    A lot of extensions did work though,I didn't checked them all,but the top bar was loaded with them.
    I copy them to the ~/.local/share/gnome-shell extension folder,but had no themes in the themes tab.
    Because I had a theme-tab but no themes show up,I removed all the themes which I had copy paste from a previous install,removed the theme extension and the user theme extension and refreshed them with a new one.
    Extracted new themes in the .themes folder and voila,everything worked.

The system has only frozen once in the gnome-shell,don't know why,but I was copying something from a website and would paste it into gedit,and the system froze.
    Nothing worked and I used reisub to reboot.

The only tricky thing is to get from unity into gnome-shell most of the time the system hangs and a reboot is necessary.

I have disabled most of the extensions,because I don't like them,I use only:
    1. Theme-selector
    2. User theme extension
    3. gNatty menu
    4. looking glass near the menu
    5. Places menu
    6. system monitor
    7. Alternate system menu

That's all and it's running fine in gnome-shell,which is the only thing I use.

This is a desktop computer Intel Core Duo 3ghz,4GB RAM,nVidia 9800GTX+ and a Gygabite motherboard,so nothing unusual about it.
    your finding it hangs going from unity to the shell, which is what i was having too!
    because of all the updates and upgrades recently i was finding my shell experience was getting quite unstable, so i bit the bullet and did a fresh install of everything did a full upgrade with both ppa's enabled and voila! now it rocks, no more crashes when changing exentions on or off and our nice little oops message is on vacation
    moving from gnome-shell to unity is fast and back again there seems to be the same

Beans
    Hidden!

Hi bmbaker,

Well my install isn't unstable at all I can use extensions,but I'm not going to,I have what I want now and it's working as supposed.
    Switching into unity and back to the shell isn't of much importance to me,because I have no intention to use unity at all.
    Was just testing if it would show up,and it did.

Do you use the V2 version too?
    Resistance is futile.....you will be assimilated!

Registered Linux User 418427.
    #Ubuntu User 3226#

Beans

bmbaker
    because of all the updates and upgrades recently i was finding my shell experience was getting quite unstable, so i bit the bullet and did a fresh install of everything did a full upgrade with both ppa's enabled and voila! now it rocks, no more crashes when changing exentions on or off and our nice little oops message is on vacation
    moving from gnome-shell to unity is fast and back again there seems to be the same
    Almost the same as me except on my main system (and no way is that getting a clean install too much to redo)

BUT..... now everything is fine ..... I can do my 3D work again on it .....

Without worrying about any crash ...... or blue sad face ....

I used the (v2) or was it the v1 for my test versions though ( v1 was actually easier to install for me )
    For someone doing the initial install too ..... its the quickest way to get a fully functioning GNOME-SHELL .... IMHO
    Use the ISO ......

Then you can do what you want afterwards ... (extensions - no extensions).
    Last edited by 23dornot23d; June 10th, 2011 at 03:17 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

I just tried to launch gbainy, but it seems to be in /usr/games which is not in the PATH.

Where can I set the global path? I think the .bashrc file is only run when you launch a terminal app, or is that wrong?

I know I could edit the desktop file, but adapting the PATH is the best solution.

Beans
    Distro

Should be able to sudo gedit /etc/environment & add /usr/games

I just launched gbrainy using alt+f2, did you make a typo?
    Last edited by cbowman57; June 10th, 2011 at 06:47 PM.

Beans

There wa a bug report on this and the solutions tried ...... BUG REPORT
    Last edited by 23dornot23d; June 10th, 2011 at 07:06 PM.

Page 103 of 177 FirstFirst ... 35393101102103104105113153 ... LastLast