Page 102 of 177 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103104112152 ... LastLast
Results 1,011 to 1,020 of 1770

Thread: gNatty Gnome Live ISO

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: gNatty Gnome Live ISO

Quote Originally Posted by aeronutt View Post
    Ok, so my iso is not corrupted. Maybe I don't understand the instructions correctly. Here's what I'm doing:

install .iso onto a USB using 'startup disk creator'
    Boot USB.

It then hangs at the 'blue stripped' login screen, but I only get the screen, no login info, text entry box, etc. Only a blue screen.
    I also got this the first time i booted. It was solved by pressing a key at the first purple screen, so you get in a menu where you can select "try Ubuntu".

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by sanderd17 View Post
    I also got this the first time i booted. It was solved by pressing a key at the first purple screen, so you get in a menu where you can select "try Ubuntu".
    I have the V2 on a USB stick.
    I booted it with the default option and no errors where been seen.
    It's running almost for a week now,and all updates are applied [not the ricotz]and no problems here.
    The language selector works,installed the Dutch language and all seems to be working.
    Have to warn however,DON'T USE THE CHINESE LANGUAGE,you have a lot of troubles to get rid of it,my GDM login is partially chinese at this time.
    But that's the only thing.

About the extensions,my opinion isn't changed a bit.
    Keep a separate gnatty-pack with all the themes and extensions you like,and keep it separate from the actual ISO.
    A install script would be nice,but if there's no script the install of any theme or extension,except the weather extension,isn't that hard to do.
    It gives the new user some insight in how things work.

We can provide help and advice, if necessary, on the forum.

But the V2 is a good release and should please most of the users.
    No need for a V3,or it should be the one without extensions and themes pre-installed.

PS,Were did you guys get the remastersys program from?
    All I can find are obsolete ppa's but not the actual program.
    Last edited by bulldog; June 9th, 2011 at 05:42 PM.
    Resistance is futile.....you will be assimilated!

Registered Linux User 418427.
    #Ubuntu User 3226#

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

@bulldog; if I go ahead with a v3, I think I will just locate an archive of both themes & extensions and place them in /usr/local/gnatty/themes & extensions. Like you said, there is a learning process involved with installing the themes & extensions manually. But that way they will be included in the iso but won't interfere with normal login, and some people may prefer the generic appearance & functionality while they learn the shell.

Oh, glad you tried out some of the language options but I was most curious about the installation. I actually (at least it was supposed to) included instalation language support for German, French, English, Spanish & Russian. I just wondered how that worked, if it worked at all or was just a waste of space on the iso.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by cbowman57 View Post
    @bulldog; if I go ahead with a v3, I think I will just locate an archive of both themes & extensions and place them in /usr/local/gnatty/themes & extensions. Like you said, there is a learning process involved with installing the themes & extensions manually. But that way they will be included in the iso but won't interfere with normal login, and some people may prefer the generic appearance & functionality while they learn the shell.

Oh, glad you tried out some of the language options but I was most curious about the installation. I actually (at least it was supposed to) included instalation language support for German, French, English, Spanish & Russian. I just wondered how that worked, if it worked at all or was just a waste of space on the iso.
    Think you missed it,

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...&postcount=930

#Ubuntu User 3226#

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
    The language selector works,installed the Dutch language and all seems to be working.
    Have to warn however,DON'T USE THE CHINESE LANGUAGE,you have a lot of troubles to get rid of it,my GDM login is partially chinese at this time.
    But that's the only thing.
    The language selector works, but there seems to be two language settings. In the installer, I chose Dutch and it never looked weird to me, but the gnome-shell interface was in English and most programs were in English. Only Ubuntu specific programs (like the updater and the software center) were in Dutch. Maybe some other programs that I didn't found.

There also seems to be two tools to select the language. The tool I got from typing "lang" in the gnome-shell search did not switch it to Dutch (so that's the tool that uses the same setting as the installer I suppose) but the tool from the gnome-shell system setting did change everything to Dutch (after re-login).

EDIT: sorry, I was wrong, the tools seem to work both, but selecting Dutch from the installer does not work.
    Last edited by sanderd17; June 9th, 2011 at 06:34 PM.

Beans
    Distro

I sure did. Ok, the Dutch & Chinese had nothing to do with what I added then, it was all Ubuntu on those two, for better or worse.

Since English seems to be the de facto standard for installations I don't even know what to expect if I tried one of the others. I just tried to include support, using UCK, for a couple of the most common languages.

Ok, thanks for the additional info sanderd17.

Makes sense, Dutch wasn't included, Deutsch was.

Would be nice if the language selector for installation didn't display languages that aren't installed.
    Last edited by cbowman57; June 9th, 2011 at 06:39 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by cbowman57 View Post
    I sure did. Ok, the Dutch & Chinese had nothing to do with what I added then, it was all Ubuntu on those two, for better or worse.

Since English seems to be the de facto standard for installations I don't even know what to expect if I tried one of the others. I just tried to include support, using UCK, for a couple of the most common languages.

Ok, thanks for the additional info sanderd17.

Makes sense, Dutch wasn't included, Deutsch was.

Would be nice if the language selector for installation didn't display languages that aren't installed.
    Maybe I have to clarify on this.
    I couldn't get the x64 V1 to change the language,I could install Dutch or what ever,it wasn't displayed anywhere,so I couldn't change the language,and I cannot even now.

Back to the i686 V2.
    Because it wouldn't work on the x64,I decided to install Dutch in the i686 V2,and it worked,I could choose it in the language selector,and after logout and in again,the system was Dutch.
    French did work the same,and after that,I don't know if I had a black out or what,I choosed chinese,and oh boy I regretted it soon.
    The whole desktop was unreadable,the ususal entry's for logout,suspend and so on,where switched around and in chinese,so logout rebooted the machine and I still had a chinese desktop.
    Finally I managed to change the language back to english and rebooted the machine,but parts are still chinese.
    I removed the chinese language from synatic and that helped a bit.

After this adventure I was ready to believe all languages would work,and wasn't in the mood to try it again.

But I did all this AFTER the install,NOT trying to choose another language prior to the install.

#Ubuntu User 3226#

Beans
    Hidden!

I did remove the french language after testing and the chinese of course but the languages displayed are functional,maybe you have to download some additional packages.
    Attached Images Attached Images

#Ubuntu User 3226#

Beans
    Distro

I like to use bleachbit to clean out all the localizations I don't use. Recovers about 400-600mbs

Beans
    Distro

Installed v2, had blue striped screen and mouse pointer only, reboot ro single and moved all the extensions from /usr/share/...got the gnome screen but when I click on anything in the top nuttin happens till I move the mouse to the next icon.
    I cant even log out or shut down.
    Ubuntu wored fine and classic worked with no effects, didnt try ubuntu 2d no effects.
    I did get the ls icon and it opens the window but cant open the top menu, like it frozen.
    Got any hints or like in the ole window days FORMAT C:

Page 102 of 177 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103104112152 ... LastLast