Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for Outlook, evolution or Zimbra alternative

Beans

Re: Looking for Outlook, evolution or Zimbra alternative

Ok I installed Zimbra. Here are my comments.
    Though the interface looks really nice and tidy, these guys cannot think it seems that some of us are not mouse users! I hate having to use my mouse to navigate around!!! It takes way too long!
    I want to be only tabbing around. In outlook, i can just do as following: never have to touch the mouse:

ctrl-n (for new task)
    this is a test task tab
    1d (that`s to schedule a task for tomorrow, what a novel idea!)
    alt-g (to go straight to the categories)
    per (to scroll down to my category called personnal)
    ctrl-enter to save

That`s so simple! Why is it nowadays we are forced to use our mice that much? We don`t even have the time now to breathe, yet alone fool around with computers. Make it simple people!!! please!

Ok, I will try thunderbird now.
    Too bad evolution doesn`t work in windows because from what I remember, it was pretty simple on this app.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I like Thunderbird. I am not exactly sure what the difference is, but, yeah, you can do everything without a mouse (I though it was only me).

Also, if you are installing different version of buntu, all you need is to copy the folder in ~/.thunderbird, and the new thunderbird will have all the mail from the old one - no need to downloading everything again.

Beans

Yep! Sometimes I think it`s just me also! Who has time to get back to a mouse even for a few seconds, it takes too long!

Ok, I downloaded Thunderbird and cannot see anything in there about tasks. Am I supposed to download an add-on? Also, there doesn't seem to be any field where I can specify different categories, other than creating folders. Is that true?

Also, please let me know, is it possible to share the tasks that I write on my offline computer to share with my girlfriend once I synchronize with the server?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by layers View Post
    I like Thunderbird. I am not exactly sure what the difference is, but, yeah, you can do everything without a mouse (I though it was only me).

Also, if you are installing different version of buntu, all you need is to copy the folder in ~/.thunderbird, and the new thunderbird will have all the mail from the old one - no need to downloading everything again.

Beans

In a way, I'm glad I'm not the only one!

Quote Originally Posted by StepNjump View Post
    Yep! Sometimes I think it`s just me also! Who has time to get back to a mouse even for a few seconds, it takes too long!

Ok, I downloaded Thunderbird and cannot see anything in there about tasks. Am I supposed to download an add-on? Also, there doesn't seem to be any field where I can specify different categories, other than creating folders. Is that true?

Also, please let me know, is it possible to share the tasks that I write on my offline computer to share with my girlfriend once I synchronize with the server?

Thanks

Beans

At last guys, I found something relatively good. Do any of you know Toodledo and Taskunifier?

Beans

Question Re: Looking for Outlook, evolution or Zimbra alternative

Sorry for chiming in so late on this thread but I have a similar problem. Zimbra looks great and I use Thunderbird which is awesome as well!

BUT:

• What if you already have an email server (let's say cyrus)?
    • You want to share your calendar?
    • You want to a web interface for your email + calendar?
    • And it has to work with ldap/AD?

Anything out there that runs on top of a variety or email servers and has a nice web gui for email+calendar sharing?

Beans

You need to install Lightning to get the calendaring and similar functions in Thunderbird.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I like DAViCal for the group calendar server.

+1 for Thunderbird (with the Lightning add-on as the group calendar client).

Lightning (for Thunderbird) is only 32-bit, though. If you are using 64-bit, I recommend Sunbird (which is really the same as Lightning, but in a standalone client).

DAViCal:

http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:N...alendar_Server

or

http://www.kubuntuguide.info/index.p...alendar_Server

Thunderbird with Lightning:

http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:N...ndar_extension

or

http://www.kubuntuguide.info/index.p...ndar_extension

Sunbird:

http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:N....28Calendar.29

or

http://www.kubuntuguide.info/index.p....28Calendar.29

For a full-featured, mature groupware system, it is hard to beat Zimbra. It takes a powerful server, though. It is Java-based and very sluggish.
    Last edited by perspectoff; July 6th, 2011 at 01:52 AM.

UbuntuGuide/KubuntuGuide

Right now the killer is being surrounded by a web of deduction, forensic science,
    and the latest in technology such as two-way radios and e-mail.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by perspectoff View Post
    I like DAViCal for the group calendar server.

+1 for Thunderbird (with the Lightning add-on as the group calendar client).

Lightning (for Thunderbird) is only 32-bit, though. If you are using 64-bit, I recommend Sunbird (which is really the same as Lightning, but in a standalone client).
    I have 64bit T-Bird with Lightning.

To install the Thunderbird PPA,
    Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mozillateam/thunderbird-stable
    To upgrade your working Thunderbird to the latest and greatest,
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
    To install the latest stable version if Thunderbird is not already installed,
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install thunderbird
    Cheers & Beers, uRock
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12