Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My Ubuntu has virus thats blocking virus scanner detector

Beans

Exclamation My Ubuntu has virus thats blocking virus scanner detector

I open a google image, a pop up came up saying something to the effect of "windows is experiencing a virus and will need to be scanned now" I react by shutting down my computer hoping to cut the virus off, somewhat. Then when I restart my virus scanner programs wont open, so im worried if I don't nip this in the bud it will get worse, anyone know what I can do?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: My Ubuntu has virus thats blocking virus scanner detector

Quote Originally Posted by sesquipedalian View Post
    I open a google image, a pop up came up saying something to the effect of "windows is experiencing a virus and will need to be scanned now" I react by shutting down my computer hoping to cut the virus off, somewhat. Then when I restart my virus scanner programs wont open, so im worried if I don't nip this in the bud it will get worse, anyone know what I can do?
    A very basic question - are you currently running Windows or Ubuntu? The reason that I ask the question is that what I think you encountered is a spoof virus - I've seen it before on both Windows and Ubuntu. In either case, it is a spoof and you should not run the scan.

If you are running Windows, then please do a full system scan using your antivirus software. If you are running ubuntu, then just continue running as before - as of now there are no active viruses in the linux world.

I hope this helps,
    "Always take the high road! That way, nothing will hit you when the brown, gooey stuff hits the fan."
    Additional setup for Ubuntu 14.04: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/fballem/Software%2014.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by fballem View Post
    A very basic question - are you currently running Windows or Ubuntu? The reason that I ask the question is that what I think you encountered is a spoof virus - I've seen it before on both Windows and Ubuntu. In either case, it is a spoof and you should not run the scan.

If you are running Windows, then please do a full system scan using your antivirus software. If you are running ubuntu, then just continue running as before - as of now there are no active viruses in the linux world.

I hope this helps,
    There is no way he got a virus. It isn't anything to worry about. Like we said there are no active viruses in the linux world. Hey good luck.
    You can follow me at my blog.

Beans

Thanks. I am using ubuntu, the pop up said "Windows had a virus and needed a scan", a friend of mine who had windows, and had the same pop up and she had to clear her hard drive. Since I have Ubuntu though, I am hoping you are right and there are no current active virus's, thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thanks. I am using ubuntu, the pop up said "Windows had a virus and needed a scan", a friend of mine who had windows, and had the same pop up and she had to clear her hard drive. Since I have Ubuntu though, I am hoping you are right and there are no current active virus's, thanks.
    Rule 1. If you are running Windows, and you get a notification from someplace other than your antivirus software that you have a virus, then you don't have a virus. The correct action is to close whatever window you are running (usually a website) and immediately do a full system scan using your installed antivirus software. These popup notifications are spoofing software, designed to panic users. They will usually be offered some program, which is itself a virus or a trojan.

Rule 2. If you are running Linux, including Ubuntu or Fedora, there are currently no active viruses. You may safely shutdown the window that is notifying you of the virus and the application (usually your browser). Do not go back to that website.

The primary reason for Rule 1 is that the Windows user is usually an administrator, and many programs need the user to run as the administrator in order to work. Because the user is the administrator, or can be easily made the administrator, they have full access to their machine.

The primary reason for Rule 2 is that the Linux user is not usually running with Administrator privileges, so in the absolute worst case scenario, they may damage their own files, but not much else.

Think of the difference between what you have to do to install a program on Windows (really easy, quick confirmation) and what you have to do to install a program on Linux (notified that you are installing a program and a requirement to enter either a root password (Fedora) or a sudo password (Ubuntu)). That's an oversimplification, but I believe it is accurate based on more that 20 years experience with Windows and more than three years experience with Ubuntu.

Hope this helps,
    "Always take the high road! That way, nothing will hit you when the brown, gooey stuff hits the fan."
    Additional setup for Ubuntu 14.04: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/fballem/Software%2014.04

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

The popup you are concerned about is basically malicious javascript and is best blocked, IMO, with noscript =)
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

This is nothing but a script on a webpage trying to social engineer unknowing Windows users into installing some BS trojaned AV package. What you need to do on a Linux box is simply ignore it and continue about your business.
    Occam's Razor for computers: Viruses must never be postulated without necessity -- nevius

My Blog

Beans

When I come across these pop-ups my response is "Oh - really!", some times I hit the scan button just to see what it scans and then LMAO.

They usually scan my "C:" drive and my "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32" files etc. and come up with all these .exe and .dll files that are infected with various trojans and worms. Yeah right!

In a morbid way kinda amusing.

Then for $29.95 or some thing close I can purchase the cure ..... and so on.

I then switch on "No-script", because I most-likely switched it off earlier and forgot to switch it back on, and then continue web surfing.

Using U10.04, FF4, and "NoScript" plugin, and of course no "wine" on this system.

DO NOT DO THIS on a Windows system, those fake Virus Scanners are a pain to remove.

Enjoy Linux and happy surfing.

George
    Ubuntu User 29830, Linux User 500817

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

If your running avast you have to do some tweaking or it wont run.

From the Avast forum.

I have Avast in Lucid 10.04, had the same problem, lotsa workarounds out there, but I have found after experimenting with 3 different computers and several versions of Linux, that all you need to do is edit /etc/sysctl.conf by adding this:
    kernel.shmmax = 128000000

So you from the terminal run,
    gksudo gedit /etc/sysctl.conf
    then add this line
    kernel.shmmax = 128000000

Try bitdefender it is a nice scanner.
    http://www.bitdefender.com/business/...or-unices.html

As has been suggested a few addons will block the popup av and scripts in general, I would take note of that.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bodhi.zazen View Post
    The popup you are concerned about is basically malicious javascript and is best blocked, IMO, with noscript =)
    Hahaha, exactly what I was thinking. It's a wonder those damn internet pop ups still exist.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast