Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help PLZ!!! Ubuntu 10.04 broadband connection!!!

Beans

Exclamation Help PLZ!!! Ubuntu 10.04 broadband connection!!!

I installed Ubuntu 10.04 on my D drive & tried it for the first time in my life & I said WaW in my first boot on it but soon I was disappointed that I can't connect to the internet using my USB Huawei HDM ec122 I googled my problem & was surprised of the solutions as a new user can't understand most of the stuff there
    People are talking about wvdial, modeswitch, code changes in the terminal, gnome package..,
    Plz! I need a step by step guide for dummies..,
    I tried to follow the steps myself but can't find wvdial or modeswitch & much stuff to install..,
    Where can I find such stuff & packages???

Modem: Huawei HDM ec122
    Operator: Inwi

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Help PLZ!!! Ubuntu 10.04 broadband connection!!!

Modeswitch is already installed by default in 10.10. Therefore it should recognize your modem. You have to wait for a moment after plugging your modem because its recognition is not instant. After the indicator light of your modem is set right, you can try to check if it was recognized in the Network indicator at the right of the top panel.

Beans

Unhappy Re: Help PLZ!!! Ubuntu 10.04 broadband connection!!!

Thanx 4 ur reply but there is a misunderstanding here I have Ubuntu 10.04 already insatalled & I'm satisfied with it I'm looking for a solution to my problem in this version not to upgrade to another version..,

Beans
    Distro

sorry, i did not read carefully...
    Last edited by Jordanbadangayon; May 9th, 2011 at 04:42 PM.

Beans

Angry Re: Help PLZ!!! Ubuntu 10.04 broadband connection!!!

I understood from ur last reply that the only solution for my problem is to connect to the internet in Ubuntu to install the missing packages..,
    I can't get access to the internet in Ubuntu but can use my USB modem in Windows..,
    Any link suggestions to download these packages???

Beans

Arrow Re: Help PLZ!!! Ubuntu 10.04 broadband connection!!!

How come that this version is considered as the most stable version with such a huge problem???
    My modem is detected with the driver in it but can't install it or do anything with it!!!
    We have always to depend on the Windows lazy bum???
    Why developers of ubuntu missed the broadband topic???

Beans
    Distro

By the way, you can access Terminal by going to: Applications > Accessories > Terminal... You can easily search and install modeswitch and wvdial by going to the Ubuntu Software Center. However, you need to be connected to the internet to do this.

Beans

What's the use of a very performant system without the internet..,
    Ubuntu 10.04

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by lifes2short View Post
    How come that this version is considered as the most stable version with such a huge problem???
    My modem is detected with the driver in it but can't install it or do anything with it!!!
    We have always to depend on the Windows lazy bum???
    Why developers of ubuntu missed the broadband topic???
    This link is in Russian. You can use Google to translate. Basically the same modem....you'll have to play around with the settings.Your problems are not with Ubuntu it's your modem....it's a Windows modem.
    EasyBCD.
    PrintersDatabase
    Boot Info Script: How to
    The post above and the post below suffer from the Rashomon effect!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Okay, so you are obviously on a computer with a working net connection now. So a solution would be for you to download the packages to that computer and transfer them to the other computer (via a flash drive, etc.).

So the package you are looking for is located here:

http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/usb-modeswitch

The download link is at the bottom of the page (amd64 or i386).

After you get that package on your computer, you should be able to double click on it to attempt an install. If the install fails and tells you that some packages are missing, make a note of which packages it tells you, then follow the same instructions above for those packages. Install them first and once all dependencies are satisfied, try to install the usb-modeswitch package again. Assuming you've installed all the packages it depends on, it should install correctly for you.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast