Processor : Intel Core i3-2100CPU - 3.10GHz
    Chipset: Intel H67 chipset
    Ram : Kingston 4GB
    HDD : 500Gb seagate sata

I have 2 OS:

1. Ubuntu version 11.04 Final
    2. Windows Server 2008 Standard

installed using wubi 11.04.

How can i remove Windows Server OS without formatting my hard disk data away and use the ubuntu 11.04 install using wubi instead?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Remove windows OS

It's not possible. When you use wubi to install, the entire Ubuntu OS is installed inside the Windows file system. If you uninstall Windows you will lose Ubuntu.

The best thing is to do a fresh install of Ubuntu without using wubi. Either replacing it completely, or - more safely - in a new partition so you could keep your current OSes available until you have migrated. But making space for a new partition is a bit complicated.

Why do you want to get rid of Windows completely? You could just keep it "in case" but never boot into it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Remove windows OS

@OP, actually what you want to achieve is possible, but you do have to do some re-partitioning first, so SecretCode is correct in saying you can't remove Windows without reformatting. Depending on what your present partition setup is like, you would probably need to shrink your Windows C: partition, create Linux partitions and then do the wubi to partition migration. This is not something I have done myself, but see here:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WubiGuide#Ho...ws%20entirely?

Which links to here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1519354

That has merit if you have a heavily personalised and customised Ubuntu installation and you don't want to go through all the configuration again, but if yours is a fairly new installation, I would suggest that a fresh install would be quicker and easier.

Good luck!
    Last edited by coffeecat; May 9th, 2011 at 12:31 PM. Reason: Clarification
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.