Thread: GIMP: where's the layer's effects menu in Natty?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome

GIMP: where's the layer's effects menu in Natty?

Hi. I have installed the new Natty and I like it a lot. I also installed GIMP with the popular extension: gimp-plugin-registry. But when I open GIMP, a useful menu has simply disappeared: I used to right-click on any layer, and the very last item of the menu (at the bottom) was: Layers Effects. And I could easily add any stroke, drop shadow, etc. to the layer.
    Now this menu has gone. There's a new menu on the top of GIMP called FX-Foundry, where a "Layers Effects" item can be found. But it's different, less options for drop shadow, no "stroke" option, etc.
    I'm very disappointed because I used the former menu a lot. I googled and searched in this forum, but I couldn't find anyone complaining about the same problem.
    Does anybody knows how to bring back the former "LAYERS EFFECTS" on GIMP?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: GIMP: where's the layer's effects menu in Natty?

Quote Originally Posted by bobzr View Post
    Hi. I have installed the new Natty and I like it a lot. I also installed GIMP with the popular extension: gimp-plugin-registry. But when I open GIMP, a useful menu has simply disappeared: I used to right-click on any layer, and the very last item of the menu (at the bottom) was: Layers Effects. And I could easily add any stroke, drop shadow, etc. to the layer.
    Now this menu has gone. There's a new menu on the top of GIMP called FX-Foundry, where a "Layers Effects" item can be found. But it's different, less options for drop shadow, no "stroke" option, etc.
    I'm very disappointed because I used the former menu a lot. I googled and searched in this forum, but I couldn't find anyone complaining about the same problem.
    All those effects are done through filters, but i believe the shortcut you are used to is in the 2.7 dev version.

http://www.iheartubuntu.com/2011/05/...ndow-mode.html
    -Unity Lover-

Open-Source is a way of LIFE

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bobzr View Post
    Sure. Remove the package and install everything yourself. E.g. layer effects are here. The page has basic insructions, but if you want to know everything, read this article
    Libre Graphics World — news and articles on free design and photography software

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome

Quote Originally Posted by prokoudine View Post
    Sure. Remove the package and install everything yourself. E.g. layer effects are here. The page has basic insructions, but if you want to know everything, read this article
    Thanks so much for suggestions & links.

step1: I removed that evil misleading package named: gimp-plugin-registry
    step2: I put the file layerfx.py in my plugins folder and made it executable.

Now everything is back to normal and I can enjoy my beloved menu for Layers Effects. Thanks, you made my day!