Thread: Installing LAMP server on my laptop - security

Beans

Installing LAMP server on my laptop - security

I'm concerned about security of having a LAMP server on my laptop as having any server makes the system less secure. However, if I were to create a new partition and install a lamp server on that and only use it when offline, would the security of my main partition be affected at all?

Thanks.

Beans

Re: Installing LAMP server on my laptop - security

I'm also considering installing the LAMP server on virtual box. Which is more secure?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo999 View Post
    I'm also considering installing the LAMP server on virtual box. Which is more secure?
    Virtual box would be the best way... sandboxed ftw
    It has been said that if you place an infinite amount of monkies by one typewriter each, one of them will eventually write a literary masterpiece. The Internet has proven that this is not the case.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo999 View Post
    I'm concerned about security of having a LAMP server on my laptop as having any server makes the system less secure. However, if I were to create a new partition and install a lamp server on that and only use it when offline, would the security of my main partition be affected at all?

Thanks.
    Just bind apache to localhost and firewall external connections and you will be fine.

apache is no more or less secure in VBox, but it is sandboxed, and you can use host only networking.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface