Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Window snap aka 11.04 in 10.04

Beans

Re: Window snap aka 11.04 in 10.04

Let me know how it goes ! Where you at in Qld?

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by excetara2 View Post
    Let me know how it goes ! Where you at in Qld?
    Thanks excetara2, further to the PM, This is brilliant, I can get the effects now with no unusual side effects as I described earlier.

OP if you want to test out xte to see if it meets your needs --here-- is a video to demonstrate how it works and is set up. The video uses the standard keypad setup of the grid plug-in but adds xte commands to the command plug-in and sets edge bindings to them. You need only set up the movements you specifically want in the commands section.

The same problem will occur as you mentioned earlier with accidental active window movement when the cursor near the sides, but you could consider setting up custom keboard and/or mouse button combinations to do the window moving instead of using edges. I have it working like that here. Edit: have now reverted to using the four corners (edge binding) due to apparent clashes with existing bindings in other plugins. /edit

This method however won't move your desktop wallpaper or cut the faces of the desktop cube in two like wmctrl does. xte makes a massive performance improvement compared to my last setup. Cheers and thanks again to excetara2.
    Last edited by yetiman64; May 9th, 2011 at 06:03 AM. Reason: changed to edge binding configuration

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks a lot excetara2 and yetiman64, this works great and even offers more functionality then I originally wanted to get. I ended up using key binding - Super+1,2,3,4 for corners and Super+z,x for sides.
    One question though. Is there any way to give a window its original size after I snap it using Grid?

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by InTheNameOfDelicious View Post
    Thanks a lot excetara2 and yetiman64, this works great and even offers more functionality then I originally wanted to get. I ended up using key binding - Super+1,2,3,4 for corners and Super+z,x for sides.
    One question though. Is there any way to give a window its original size after I snap it using Grid?
    Only way I have been able to work that so far is to use the functionality of the window title bar with a double click to go either down or up. There may be a way of doing it but it isn't included in the grid plugin that I'm aware of.

Also note with this plugin what happens when you tap the same edge more than once, I found using two taps of the edge to go to the bottom half of the screen will reduce the window to a small square, from there it makes double clicking the window title bar very easy to use.

Beans

In regards to active window movement,

You can change in the general settings of compiz the time you have to be near the edge time trigger. This isn't what it is called exactly. It is the time before the edge bindings will activate.

Secondly, conflicts are fine depending what they are. If it's the desktop wall plugin which is usually where the conflict occurs. You can leave both if your edge time is long enough. I have both. I think I have my edge time like .3 or .4 seconds. It is relatively quick but enough that when I drag between workspaces I don't have a problem. Then put the edge flipping to edge flip move. The other two unchecked. Then set the top, bottom, left, and right edges. They can be the same as the grid plug-in. Had this setup for ages and had no problems.

Third, should be able to do what you are saying by toggling a window with a keyboard command. It would require a little hacking I think because don't think there is a setting for it directly in compiz (at least as far as I know). It remembers the size of the previously drawn window as has been said if you double click the title bar or drag it away from its current position. It goes to the previously drawn size of your window.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Are you talking about how it remembers the size of the window when you maximize it and then restores it when you double-click on the title bar or move it? Yes, that would be an ideal solution if there was a way to make that code run with my keyboard shortcuts!
    Last edited by InTheNameOfDelicious; May 11th, 2011 at 04:25 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I'm thinking about writing two scripts. One that gets the active window size, stores it somewhere, then runs one of the snapping commands, and assigning that to the commands in compiz. Another that gets the current window id, gets the stored size, and applies it to the window. There probably isn't any way of assigning the latter script to dragging or double-clicking the window resized with the first one, but I could just set up another keyboard command to restore the original size - that should be good enough.

Anybody have any advice on how to get, store, and assign size to windows? I just found this thread http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1244691 I'm more curious about a possible storing scheme. I'd imagine using a simple txt file is just awfully inefficient. Maybe creating environmental variables would be better?
    Last edited by InTheNameOfDelicious; May 11th, 2011 at 04:46 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12