Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: what is mono??

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Thumbs down what is mono??

What is mono??? I'm sorry if it's a dumb question but I don't really know why a lot of people hate Banshee for using mono. I love Banshee and I think it's the best player out there. But can anyone tell me what mono is?? and Why Linux people hate it? The informations I got from googling it seem not to be such a bad thing.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: what is mono??

It's an open source implementation of Microsoft's .NET environment. People hate on it purely on the strength of the whiff of Microsoft, but a lot of developers seem to quite like .NET, so I think it's great that we have our own version of it. It's a bit like the way we have open source versions of things like Java.

Bottom line: Mono is open source, and 99.9% of all the terrible things people accuse it of are just complete rubbish.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Paqman View Post
    Bottom line: Mono is open source, and 99.9% of all the terrible things people accuse it of are just complete rubbish.
    +∞

But yeah, Mono = .NET but open-source and due to its use of Microsoft code there has been a lot of propaganda and scaremongering against it (particularly from the FSF.) If you see pages like "OH NOES MONO USES MICRO$HIT CODE USE IT AND YOU'RE DOOMED TO BEING SUED TO HELL AND BACK!!!" ignore it.
    No longer active here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

my only reason I dislike mono is all those microsoft dll's and exe's, look in /usr/lib/banshee to see what I mean, we don't need them in Linux!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by gandaran View Post
    my only reason I dislike mono is all those microsoft dll's and exe's, look in /usr/lib/banshee to see what I mean, we don't need them in Linux!
    Fascinating, it is like having Microsoft right here on our doorstep. Was any of that code written by Microsoft?

So....how does it execute the exe files, I thought those could only be used if I had Wine installed?
    If variety is the spice of life, monotony must therefore be the kiss of death.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

wow, that's kinda interesting

Beans
    Distro

Mono doesn't use Microsoft code.

Microsoft has promised not to sue over Mono (in fact, they've helped develop software that runs on Mono - see Moonlight) so the whole thing is a non-issue. Some people have been trying to pick loopholes in Microsoft's statement, but really the threat has ended.

Mono isn't very often used, anyway. If Microsoft wanted to sue some well-used Linux software that infringes patents and helps decrease the number of Windows licenses purchased, they'd go after Wine.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

well, i think that mono is good, (probably better than .Net itself in many ways).

sure there will always be some fears of msft filing some lawsuit someday, but until that day comes (if ever), we should keep using the programs built with it normally.

if some people/developers come from windows and find mono easy to code, then there is no real reason (yet) to stop using it.

on the other hand that fear is not a bad thing, because we are prepared almost completely (like 80%) to drop mono if that ever happens, we have some very good alternatives just in case.
    Last edited by madjr; May 7th, 2011 at 08:25 AM.
    When close to achieving you quit! If you don't try you failed. Real Winners are not afraid of losing.
    ubuntu newsletter ; Report Papercuts (small annoyances/bugs) ; beginners guide and video http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z0tNpt5RZYI

Beans
    Distro

They are called ".dll" and ".exe" because that's what non-native .NET programs expect them to be called. They do not contain Microsoft code, and they are Mono bytecode libraries and programs, NOT Windows library and Windows executable formats.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Mono is .NET for linux, like Moonlight is Silverlight rip off...

It's a nono for me but then again gnome depends on mono these days...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast