Thread: Netflix Work Around May Be Just Around The Corner

Beans

Netflix Work Around May Be Just Around The Corner

I honestly think that a Netflix work around could happen within the next couple of months. Wine already has gotten Silverlight 2 to work with Wine and once someone gets a patch for Silverlight 4 to work in Wine we are good.

I was bored yesterday and decided to play around with Wine. I downloaded Firefox 3.6 for Windows. Went to Netflix and they said I needed to install Silverlight 4. The installation failed. So I installed Silverlight 2 and took the program files for Silverlight 4 from my Windows partition and copied them over the Silverlight 2 installation.

The amazing thing was when I went to aboutlugins, it actually showed me as having Silverlight 4. Then I went to Netflix and it would take forever to load then it say to restart my browser after installation. Epic Fail, lol.

But I think that the patch for Silverlight 4 is very doable. I am going to post the output of the Wine debug on the Wine mailing list.

But I think that once the developers really look at this, it is only a matter of time before we are watching Netflix on Ubuntu.

What do you think? Do you think it will be very hard to get Silverlight 4 to work with Wine?

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Re: Netflix Work Around May Be Just Around The Corner

Nice find. Hopefully soon it we'll be there.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteNoiseParser View Post
    The amazing thing was when I went to aboutlugins, it actually showed me as having Silverlight 4.
    Great example of an accidental smiley.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss