Thread: No encryption option after clean install of 11.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

No encryption option after clean install of 11.04

After installing 11.04, adding the public keys of friends to the Passwords and Encryption Keys and generating a new public key. However there is no encryption option when right clicking a file, nor is there any user interface for Seahorse or GNU Privacy Guard. When I try to open an encrypted file, I get the error message, "There is no application installed for PGP/MIME-encrypted message header files".

Beans
    Distro

Re: No encryption option after clean install of 11.04

Quote Originally Posted by Dada Maheshvarananda View Post
    After installing 11.04, adding the public keys of friends to the Passwords and Encryption Keys and generating a new public key. However there is no encryption option when right clicking a file, nor is there any user interface for Seahorse or GNU Privacy Guard. When I try to open an encrypted file, I get the error message, "There is no application installed for PGP/MIME-encrypted message header files".
    If I type 'seahorse' in Terminal, what opens is Passwords and Encryption Keys, without any option to encrypt or decrypt with the keys.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Dada Maheshvarananda View Post
    If I type 'seahorse' in Terminal, what opens is Passwords and Encryption Keys, without any option to encrypt or decrypt with the keys.
    SOLVED: In terminal, type: 'sudo apt-get install gpa'

Then type: 'gpa'

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Actually, I think what you really want is the seahorse-plugins package, AKA "Decrypt File" in the Ubuntu Software Centre. This gives you an "Encrypt..." option in the right-click menu in Nautilus, and integrates with the keys you have stored on your system (managed by seahorse, AKA "Passwords and Encryption Keys".